Old 01-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #1

Insulation options behind hullliner

Hi all,I am redo-ing some hull-liner in my boat, and as it is beside the berth I thought I would insulate it. Initially I was going to use foam (or foam backed vinyl), but was counseled against this because of potential for degradation.
I would like to put in some sort of insulation because I tend to sleep half against the wall in a bed or a berth. A marine store near me is selling a product called reflectix: *http://www.reflectixinc.com/basepage...&PageIndex=622
It looks like a good option, and they say they have sold lots for marine use, but I cannot find anyone who has used in a marine application at my marina.
Thoughts or experience??
Thanks!
Aaron
aaronupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Insulation options behind hullliner

Reflectix is written up in Ocean navigator mag, Nov/Dec 2010 (www.oceannavigator.com) in an article on "Controlling condensation below decks. Says an air space is required for it to work as designed, and without an air space it gives R1.1 per layer. 2 layers with air space R6.0 (www.reflectixinc.com). The author is in Seattle, so presumably could get the product there.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #3

Thanks Keith, There is a place in Surrey that sells it, though they advised me to glue it down to the fibreglass hull, so I am not sure they actually know what they are talking about as that is at odds with the article you linked to.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Our boat does not have insulation but has ¼ teak veneer wood panels, with a 2 inch air space, which does not seem to be to cold, but the interior is kept at a constant 65 to 70+ degrees. **My wife made a bed quilt with matching throw pillows that in the winter I line up against the hull.***

You could added a solid self that*is staight, does not follow the wall and make it a self or something you could insulate*behind.* Being the wall usualy follow the boat*the space up high is usually wasted area.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:38 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Aaron, I think your boat came from the factory with what we call "monkey fur" glued to the hull sides in the bow.* You have probably already thought of this, but maybe you could glue styrofoam sheeting to the sides with water based adhesive.* Then cover it with an attractive, soft fabric.* The styrofoam is a little flexible, and you can help it bend a tighter radius by scoring it.

Another possible is to glue firring strips to the hull and spray foam or cellulose insulation into the cavity.* The squeegy it off to conform to the curves.

Just thinking out loud.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:14 AM   #6

Ahh yes the original 'monkey fur' was still in the boat when I bought it. How many albino monkeys gave up their lives, oh the humanity!! All kidding aside there was surprisingly little problem with the 'fur' except that the adhesive was breaking down and it was sagging in spots.

I had initially thought to glue ribs on the hull, spray foam, then cover with 1/4" teak ply/veneer. Once I did some careful measurements though it became apparent that the hull shape is quite complex and bends in 2 axis, so while this is still an aesthetically appealing option it would be very expensive because I do not have enough wood skill to do the job so would have to get a carpenter in.

In the end I do not mind the look of modern monkey fur aka hull liner, but I feel like I need some sort of barrier behind it for vapor and insulation. That being said perhaps I am mistaken since the original monkey fur lasted 35 years, longer than I am likely to keep the boat, so perhaps I should just glue up the hull liner and be done with it....
Old 01-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Guru

Reinstalling monkey fir is probably the easiest option.* How about a really heavy berber carpet.

Styrofoam is its own vapor barrier.* Maybe a couple of thin layers scored and glued to each other would make those bends.* Then glue fabric or carpet to that.* Water based adhesive, of course.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Reinstalling monkey fir is probably the easiest option.* How about a really heavy berber carpet.

Styrofoam is its own vapor barrier.* Maybe a couple of thin layers scored and glued to each other would make those bends.* Then glue fabric or carpet to that.* Water based adhesive, of course.
I'm with Don on this one. Using 1/2" sheets of foam you could conform to any hull shape, and build up the layers to suit your needs. Then, I really like the Berber carpet idea if weight is not an object. Otherwise, the monkey fur or any other lighter fabric would be great.

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:40 AM   #9

I am going to have to give this styrofoam idea some consideration. I am guessing you mean closed cell foam? Should I score it in a diagonal pattern to maximize flex?
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #10
Guru

Quote:
aaronupnorth wrote:

I am going to have to give this styrofoam idea some consideration. I am guessing you mean closed cell foam? Should I score it in a diagonal pattern to maximize flex?
You can even score it in a grid pattern so that it can flex in 2 directions.* The unscored face to go to the inside of the bend.* Styrofoam is closed cell.* It is very subject to UV detiriation,* so it is great as long as kept from sun exposure.

If it is a tighter bend, put a few more scores in it.* It is not very expensive.* Pick up a piece and see how it works.

Old 01-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
Guru

If you want plywood and lumber to bend the easiest is to cut groves in it to conform and then epoxy the groves to make ridged.* I had to rebuilt the Portuguese bridge which is curves and angles out of ¾ marine ply that does not bend. Screwed the ply in place and filled the grooves with epoxy.

Our state rooms walls are*straight up and down instead of conforming to the curve of the hull.* The 2X 2 are epoxy to the hull the veneer is nail to the 2 X 2.***

So you can follow the curve of the hull or not follow the curve of the hall.*
Old 01-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #12
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Sorry, double post

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 03:37:16 PM
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #13
Enigma

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Moonstruck.* Not to be argumentative but shouldn't the SCORED side go toward the inside of the curve?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #14
Enigma

Hiya,
* P/F.* Do you have ANY education at all, are basicaly stupid, english is not you're first language*or do you just*don't*give a ****?* Reading MOST of your posts, although you DID improve for a week or so is just painful.* "I had to rebuilt the ...",
** It's all in good fun when you make a spelling blooper we can joke about but buck up man/woman.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
** Mr. Moonstruck.* Not to be argumentative but shouldn't the SCORED side go toward the inside of the curve?
Putting the score to the inside radius of the curve will cause the scoring to compress.* If it is on the outside radius it cn open allowing the board to be more flexible.

I like Carey's ideal of thin layers sandwiched together.* If they are thin enough, little scoring would be necessary.

However, I know nothing about MTU's.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #16
Grand Vizier

Aaron, we lined Delfin with 1/4" acoustical cork.* This eliminates condensation, provides a lot of sound deadening and is pretty impervious to deterioraton given the polyurethane binder they use to put the stuff together.* It's thin enough that whatever finish elements you want to use, this will be highly effective and also unobtrusive.* I still have a roll, and am just south of you in Mount Vernon.* If you want, I can provide it to you for whatever I paid for quite a lot at one time.* You can learn about acoustical cork at www.quietcork.com.

-- Edited by Delfin on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 07:42:07 PM
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:44 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Aaron, we lined Delfin with 1/4" acoustical cork.* This eliminates condensation, provides a lot of sound deadening and is pretty impervious to deterioraton given the polyurethane binder they use to put the stuff together.* It's thin enough that whatever finish elements you want to use, this will be highly effective and also unobtrusive.* I still have a roll, and am just south of you in Mount Vernon.* If you want, I can provide it to you for whatever I paid for quite a lot at one time.* You can learn about acoustical cork at www.quietcork.com.

-- Edited by Delfin on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 07:42:07 PM
Cork is a great idea.* I will have to file that one away.* It also made me think of carpet padding.* Then cover it with fabric.* Better still carpet with a foam backing attached would be easier and worth exploring.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 07:45:57 PM
Old 01-11-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
* P/F.* Do you have ANY education at all, are basicaly stupid, english is not you're first language*or do you just*don't*give a ****?* Reading MOST of your posts, although you DID improve for a week or so is just painful.* "I had to rebuilt the ...",
** It's all in good fun when you make a spelling blooper we can joke about but buck up man/woman.
That is a little harsh coming from a person the replies in one or two sentences, many times the reply do not relate, derail the discussion and we know little about. Who are you what authority education, experience knowledge do you have?* *You seem to read my replies in greater detail than others and make harsh ill mannered comment and show you are prejudges.****

Have you ran the spell checker on your reply it has two spelling errors?* *I have admitted spelling is not one of my strong points and the reason why I am an accountant/CFO.* What is your education, occupation and boat do you own?****

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:49:01 PM
Old 01-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #19
Grand Vizier

Phil, your usual grace and courtesy is answer enough for folks who would have more to offer on a site dedicated to belligerant alcoholics than one focused on people who actually own a trawler, or have practical experience with same.*

Don't waste your time answering.
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #20

City: Sidney BC
Vessel Name: Our Island
Vessel Model: KK Manatee

Quote:
Delfin wrote:

Phil, your usual grace and courtesy is answer enough for folks who would have more to offer on a site dedicated to belligerant alcoholics than one focused on people who actually own a trawler, or have practical experience with same.*

Don't waste your time answering.
Agreed!!

DCBD is offline   Reply With Quote