City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: Insulation options behind hullliner

Quote:
Phil Fill wrote:

RT Firefly wrote:
Hiya,
P/F.* Do you have ANY education at all, are basicaly stupid, english is not you're first language*or do you just*don't*give a ****?* Reading MOST of your posts, although you DID improve for a week or so is just painful.* "I had to rebuilt the ...",
It's all in good fun when you make a spelling blooper we can joke about but buck up man/woman.

That is a little harsh coming from a person the replies in one or two sentences, many times the reply do not relate, derail the discussion and we know little about. Who are you what authority education, experience knowledge do you have? You seem to read my replies in greater detail than others and make harsh ill mannered comment and show you are prejudges.*

Have you ran the spell checker on your reply it has two spelling errors?* I have admitted spelling is not one of my strong points and the reason why I am an accountant/CFO.What is your education, occupation and boat do you own?

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 11th of January 2011 08:49:01 PM
PhilI'd like to apologize for the general intolerance you have to deal with from time to time on this site. Granted, your writing may leave something to be desired, but to berate you for your lack of writing and spelling skills, and especially in front of the whole forum, is cruel, and without excuse. We all bring different things to the table here, and need to honor each other and respect each other for whatever qualities we have, and forgive those who don't live up to our expectations.
To RTF and anyone else with an abhorrence for another persons lack of education, ability or intelligence, I would recommend you simply not read posts presented by the offender. Remember, that the first sign of insanity is continuing to do the same thing, while expecting different results. If you haven't liked his writing all this time, why do you read it? We all know that it is your opportunity to feel superior that brings you to pick on Phil, so maybe you could just save us all from your pain.
Back to you Phil. I know you don't speak the way that you write, so my suggestion to you if you'd like to improve your writing skills is first, to read and re-read every post before you hit send. I believe you will see and be able to correct many of your mistakes.
Cheers all

Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:09 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
* Touche P/F.* You're right, I don't use spell checker but my syntax is usually OK.* I'm an unknown,* 50+ years a boater, prejudges????** Boat?* Who ever said I HAVE a boat?* I may be *in CHARGE of a boat.
** Mr. BCDC.* "Belligerent alcoholic...Practical experience with same"???** Do you know me?
** Mr. Carey.* Good advice.* Re-read posts before you hit send.

RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001

Quote:
RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
P/F.* Do you have ANY education at all, are basicaly stupid, english is not you're first language*or do you just*don't*give a ****?* Reading MOST of your posts, although you DID improve for a week or so is just painful.* "I had to rebuilt the ...",
It's all in good fun when you make a spelling blooper we can joke about but buck up man/woman.
What an ill-mannered, boorish statement to make about a fellow forum participant who has been a long time contributor and gentle soul here on the Trawler Forum. I, and I'm sure many others have learned a lot from Phil/Fill over the years from the early days of PMM until now. He has always been there to extend a welcoming hand to new members, and like FF has never had anything negative to say about fellow members.We all make spelling mistakes, and Phil/Fill has always stated that its not his strong suit. It just doesn't matter.

Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:36 PM   #24
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Mr. Conrad.* OK, understandable reaction and I agree, WE have learned some from P/F BUT some of his advice (particularly on PMM has been down right dangerous) so I would* caution accepting ALL of his comments should be taken "with a grain of salt".
** As to spelling mistakes, I relish P/F's contributions.
** Maybe this should be moved to OTDE...
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:35 AM   #25
Scraping Paint

City: -
Insulation options behind hullliner

The thing that connects everyone on this forum is their interest, experience, and desire to learn more about boating. It's not a writer's forum. So to my way of thinking, as long as a forum participant can get their idea or advice or question or answer across in a manner the rest of us can decipher, that's all that's required here. The ability to diagram a sentence does not make up any percentage of your grade

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 12th of January 2011 10:46:58 AM
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:28 AM   #26
FF
Guru

IF the hissy fits and drunk rage are over , insulation is the topic.

Thickness counts so the more the merrier.

My preference is for blue board , not as good (in theory) as better R valued stuff , but it does not absorb water.
The fancy stuff with R7 does absorb watter , so after a while it is a soggy mass with zero insulation value.

The hassle with blue board is IT BURNS ! , so it must be covered .

Cut into thin strips it is flexible enough to follow most hull contours and Titebond III can put it back together.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #27
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Insulation between the water tanks and the underside of the bed in the master cabin is a great testing ground for any product. Anything that will work there, should work elsewhere in the boat, where the interface may be the same or more forgiving. I have used blue styro in this application for the last 15+ years, and when I put in a better (thicker) mattress, I had it all out a year or two ago. I couldn't find any sign of condensation whatsoever. The blue styro was like new, as was the surrounding wood structure and the old mattress.
If you have room for blue styro between the hull and the liner, it will bend in one direction, cuts easily, glues easily, remains quietly in place without absorbing anything.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:55 PM   #28

In deference to the drunken rage aspect of the thread I just drank a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's rum and flung handfuls of fibreglass pink dipped in glue around the hull until I was satisfied.....insulation and pink monkey fur all at once, right? It looked great when I was drunk, now ....not so sure...

In all seriousness I think I am going to go for a scored styrofoam covered with hull liner, seems like a good option and definitely a project that is within my realm of technical ability.
There were a lot of ideas that I liked, especially the quiet cork, and I am going to have to give that one some serious thought before finally making up my mind (especially since I've also torn out the floor in my boat and a cork underlayer seems like it would be nice!

As always thanks for the advice and entertainment!

Aaron
aaronupnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #29
Grand Vizier

Here's some photos of the 1/4" cork as installed:

[img]download.spark?ID=857556&aBID=115492[/img][img]download.spark?ID=857558&aBID=115492[/img]
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #30
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
aaronupnorth wrote:

In deference to the drunken rage aspect of the thread I just drank a bottle of Cap'n Morgan's rum and flung handfuls of fibreglass pink dipped in glue around the hull until I was satisfied.....insulation and pink monkey fur all at once, right? It looked great when I was drunk, now ....not so sure...

In all seriousness I think I am going to go for a scored styrofoam covered with hull liner, seems like a good option and definitely a project that is within my realm of technical ability.
There were a lot of ideas that I liked, especially the quiet cork, and I am going to have to give that one some serious thought before finally making up my mind (especially since I've also torn out the floor in my boat and a cork underlayer seems like it would be nice!

As always thanks for the advice and entertainment!

Aaron
Aaron, I know that I was the one that suggested the scored styrofoam, but=====after thinking about it, I believe I would look hard about using a foamed back carpeting.* I believe it would be the easiest to install, have some padding and insulation value.* You could later cover it with fabric if you can't find a color that works.

Does your Uniflite still have the aluminum trim around the inside of the windows?* Does it have trap storage under the V berth?

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 06:04 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Too bad many boats don't already come insulated.

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #32
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

Mark:

Aaron's boat came the same way yours did: unfinished. He's just getting to the insulation part a little later in the boat's life than you are.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #33
Guru

City: Juneau Alaska
Vessel Name: Arctic Traveller
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Insulation options behind hullliner

Quote:
FF wrote:

The hassle with blue board is IT BURNS ! , so it must be covered .
The Coast Guard document below explains why using blue board may be a bad idea.* Be sure you understand how easly it burns before you use it.* Sorry for the small attachment, but if you open it, then hit "control +" a few times it should be readable..............Arctic Traveller

-- Edited by Arctic Traveller on Thursday 13th of January 2011 11:54:15 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	navic.png
Views:	54
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	4233  
Arctic Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #34
Grand Vizier

Artic, I think the Coast Guard warning applies to polyurethane foams sprayed on hulls, but a greater fire hazard caution applies to polystyrene, which is what blue board is made of.* The CC is particularly concerned about polyurethanes because when they burn, most all of them give off cyanide gas and dense smoke.* As most people executed in gas chambers will tell you, this can really ruin your day.*

It wouldn't be my first choice putting blue board on a boat because of the flame hazard and smoke, which is your point and worth considering since much safer alternatives exist.

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote