Input requested from those who made the leap in to retirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wonderful way to spend retirement . . . learning or perfecting an instrument like a guitar. Some research says it can help preserve mental faculties. (Certainly helped me stay more or less sane until I reached retirement.)

To have my rig on board, I'd need a second house bank and inverter . . . and I doubt I'd be very popular at quiet anchorages. :D

Probably not done on purpose, but I see now that during my entire life I've been aligning my hobbies and passions for life aboard slow boats. Ham radio, fishing, scuba diving, engine repair, fixing electronics, navigation, and exploring new caves. Only a couple are going to be a problem on boats; running, and working on cars. Though, I'm thinking both running and car work both constitute WORK, and therefore they can go away.

In all seriousness, one of the requirements for healthy living is somehow to get a high heart rate for 20 minutes, 6 x per week.

Meanwhile, I have several more years of work, up here in near arctic conditions a good chunk of the year. I do love my current job, but it will come to an abrupt end and a yacht will replace it, thank you very much.

A used trawler is enough to keep you busy but I'm afraid you will want to use it too. With your wife still working that pretty much eliminates long trips unless she can work out long vacations. Pushing a broom won't cut it. Can you consult on the side to stay in your field ?

In all seriousness, one of the requirements for healthy living is somehow to get a high heart rate for 20 minutes, 6 x per week.

We find exercise very important in our lives and it's a challenge sometimes cruising, but when we hit land, the first thing we do is go for a very long walk. We also find a way to use the gyms and equipment when we dock at a resort or close to one, hit the tennis courts.

No guitar for us, but we do have a keyboard and karaoke/background music equipment.

A nice dink that rows well (not a condom boat ) can serve as a fitness tool .

We use a 9ft Grumman Sailing dink , rows well with one or two oars persons (is that the mandated PC word?) and sails well too.

A condom boat will give even more exercise , but the rowing experience stinks.

A nice dink that rows well (not a condom boat ) can serve as a fitness tool .

We use a 9ft Grumman Sailing dink , rows well with one or two oars persons (is that the mandated PC word?) and sails well too.

A condom boat will give even more exercise , but the rowing experience stinks.

That's what we decided, and bought a nice 9.5' dink from Gig Harbor Boatworks. I row it out and fish off it too.

Greetings,
Mr. dd. "That being an inflatable?" I suspect, yes...

9d32359d72901f599801eb3a136d1078.jpg

One word, "acoustic". Maybe it is the sailor in me? :)

Hence the Rock-man and headset.
Any Guitar sound that "Boston" ever made can be made externally silently with a Rock-man. Tom scoltz lead guitar and MIT grad.

"That being an inflatable?"

Yes a condom boat is an inflatable , most are hard to row and should be twin engine.

In an offshore breeze one could be blown to Europe in a 15K breeze with just oars.

"That being an inflatable?"

Yes a condom boat is an inflatable , most are hard to row and should be twin engine.

In an offshore breeze one could be blown to Europe in a 15K breeze with just oars.

True; but if you want to go 18 kts in that 15k breeze, any boat around 3m long had better be an inflatable. :D

I semi-retired in my early 40's. That lasted about two years. At the time, I came to the conclusion that, at least for me, relaxation was only fun in juxtaposition to hard work and stress. I missed the challenge of business, so I went back to work. Honestly, if I don't have something planned for the weekend, I get bored by noon on Sunday. Three-day weekends can be a killer. At this point, I don't think I will ever retire, but I do want to spend a few weeks at a time out of the office in order to go on longer boat trips.

I share this because I think the ability to be happy in retirement is highly personal.

This sounds similar to my own retirement attempts. My first effort failed-- I was too young, wife was still working, friends all still working, kids still in school, so I really couldn't do anything in "retirement". Went back into the car business for 5 years.

I'm on my second attempt now after selling that business to a manager at the end of last year. Wife works a couple of days a week, one kid out of HS but he has recently boomeranged back home from his first college attempt. One more kid in HS and will graduate next year. Still not the best retirement scenario since I can't just take off in the boat anytime I want (unless I'm alone), but it is what it is. I'm beginning to understand that old saw, "the best laid plans of mice and men". [emoji23]

"18 kts in that 15k breeze,"

Will make you an unhappy orphan in most cruisers anchorages.

"18 kts in that 15k breeze,"

Will make you an unhappy orphan in most cruisers anchorages.

Oh oh. I've stumbled across a purist. Our M.O. is to get somewhere with the big boat, then take off to parts unknown with the tiny boats. Manytimes we need to cover dozens of miles in the dink and with heavy gear.

Kind of like flying to a distant airport, then renting a car; as opposed to flying to a distant airport and then....walking. Different point of view, I suppose.
Yes, I'm emptied a 6 gallon tank of gas on a single dink trip. :flowers:

Oh oh. I've stumbled across a purist. Our M.O. is to get somewhere with the big boat, then take off to parts unknown with the tiny boats. Manytimes we need to cover dozens of miles in the dink and with heavy gear.

Kind of like flying to a distant airport, then renting a car; as opposed to flying to a distant airport and then....walking. Different point of view, I suppose.
Yes, I'm emptied a 6 gallon tank of gas on a single dink trip. :flowers:

We've emptied our 14 gallons and more in a day on our RIB. We love getting it down and taking off to explore all the surrounding area. Our M.O. much like yours.

Greetings.

I've been on the other end of your conversation (the guy in the cockpit) for the last 30 years and am also sniffing the exit strategy and have asked the very question you do.

I had a six pack for a while and could get it back. Or go larger, and again wear a Captain's hat and "drive the bus".

But, since it's mostly for fun and not for money (no one will pay me what I made) I've been looking hard at volunteering. There's a lovely maritime museum not too far away (St Michaels MD) and they ALWAYS need volunteers, heck maybe I'll get to drive the tour boat. But I also don't mind giving tours or getting my hands dirty.

Another volunteer avenue is the Auxiliary Coast Guard. Safety inspections are a great way to educate the boating public. Most of us that know enough to find this forum have the basic skills. But we all know that there's loads of people out there that could really use some basic stuff.

Teaching safety courses is another way. Some areas this is done commercially. Or, if you want to make a business out of it you can be the guy that helps the new owner get started in his boat. Work with brokers on this.....

There's many ways. I'll see you out there. "So long".

I'm another one that retired from aviation, so I can relate. And, as mentioned, the OP sure has some skills that can transfer over to marine life and there's a lot of opportunities.

I could argue that there are TWO musts in retirement.... be sure you're on the same page with your significant other, and occasionally discuss it, as things will change. When I got interested in this "loop" thing, it did take a bit to convince the admiral, and she's still a bit apprehensive. (She retired 20 years earlier than me, but kept active in her accounting profession part time).

And, speaking of aviation retirements... there are a LOT of folks out there that retired from the airlines, FAA and such with absolutely nothing to do, and are finding retirement really hard. There's the story of one captain that retired but never told his wife. So, once a week, he'd put his uniform on and disappear for a few days..... she never knew. (well, he had a hobby....)

The second thing is to have SOME activity that you look forward to, if not several, that challenges you and you enjoy. Owning a boat can have that. And like mentioned, one could get into a lot of boating activities, some that pay, some for fun. I'd enjoy a charter operation, but don't want to be the captain anymore, and would hire that out.

And, one needs to know their personality traits and what will and will not work. I'd argue strongly against business if one doesn't have hands on experience. It can be very financially and emotional draining... not something for retirement. For Tex, he needs to know what kind of experiences he can relate to. Perhaps chartering, teaching safety, or boating classes, or in the maintenance end.. lots of choices, but some will work and some won't. And find something that interacts with people.... that's where the fun is.

And, yes, retirement is different. One thing it brings that is great and that is choice and few commitments.

texasnielsen, you just need to fine things to keep yourself busy while retired and that give you fulfillment. I retired once before back in my late 20's. Had some successful business returns and took 2 years off to live on my boat. I kept busy mostly with the almost-fultime maintenance required of that old vessel.

Was a fantastic time in my life and could have continued forever had it not been for the minor inconvenience of running out of money!

I can't wait for the next retirement to come and I plan to make it permanent this time.

Best advise I can give if you want to mess with boats is to buy a steel or wood boat. Either can take you across the bay or to Antarctica and both will keep you busy.

Good luck

Thanks to everyone for all the terrific suggestions and advice.

Plenty to consider from your personal experiences.

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow for a friend who, after almost 50 years of running a local bakery finally decided to sell out and retire 11 months ago. 10 days ago, he choked on some hamburger and the family couldn't get it dislodged. The EMTs arrived but by then, his brain was without oxygen for far too long and he went in to a coma. Sadly, it was only life support which was keeping him breathing. The family agreed to disconnect him and two hours later he passed on Wednesday.

It is for reasons such as this (i.e., you never know when it's your turn) that my decision to "retire" becomes all the more concrete. As in "real" retirement, not a change of employment. The comments I've received from this thread coupled with the tragedy of my friend confirms its time to get serious about this.

As many have suggested, an awesome wife, many hobbies and a comfortable retirement income begin (and satisfy) the next chapter of many a retired sailor (or aviator or . . . ) Who am I to challenge such a perfect model.

Thanks to everyone for all the terrific suggestions and advice.

Plenty to consider from your personal experiences.

I have a funeral to attend tomorrow for a friend who, after almost 50 years of running a local bakery finally decided to sell out and retire 11 months ago. 10 days ago, he choked on some hamburger and the family couldn't get it dislodged. The EMTs arrived but by then, his brain was without oxygen for far too long and he went in to a coma. Sadly, it was only life support which was keeping him breathing. The family agreed to disconnect him and two hours later he passed on Wednesday.

It is for reasons such as this (i.e., you never know when it's your turn) that my decision to "retire" becomes all the more concrete. As in "real" retirement, not a change of employment. The comments I've received from this thread coupled with the tragedy of my friend confirms its time to get serious about this.

As many have suggested, an awesome wife, many hobbies and a comfortable retirement income begin (and satisfy) the next chapter of many a retired sailor (or aviator or . . . ) Who am I to challenge such a perfect model.

Both of my parents died young. Now, I lead a much healthier lifestyle and do not engage in those things that were probable causes of their illnesses and deaths, but still it's a real possibility. My father never made it to retirement. My mother retired early but it was after being forced to my heart problems.

Still, retirement isn't for everyone. Many never prepare for is as you're trying to. It's a major life change and it requires one to fully embrace it.The death knell for retirement is to plan things to do together and then it doesn't happen or one begs off. Some wait for the perfect time. Well, the perfect time is the one you make perfect. If waiting to have no loose ends, everything else wrapped up, no family or friends with issues, nothing in life but retirement, then that will never happen. There will always be excuses, even good reasons not to do it, and they must be dealt with.

I'm sorry to bother you, but my grandfather also wants to retire but move to my house. He lives very far away and it was explained to him that here in the United States he cannot count on retirement and he said that he wants to live at my expense and enjoy his grandchildren and old age. He loves boats and wants a present for his anniversary. He turned to the financial advisor for pension planning in advance and decided that he would be better with me, and my grandmother also wants to live in the states, but my family is in shock, we will always worry about them on boats, old grandfather. What will he do there for several days, years ... I'm worried that he will take my children with him on a fishing trip, and I don't know what to do.

I'm sorry to bother you, but my grandfather also wants to retire but move to my house. He lives very far away and it was explained to him that here in the United States he cannot count on retirement and he said that he wants to live at my expense and enjoy his grandchildren and old age. He loves boats and wants a present for his anniversary. He turned to the financial advisor for pension planning in advance and decided that he would be better with me, and my grandmother also wants to live in the states, but my family is in shock, we will always worry about them on boats, old grandfather. What will he do there for several days, years ... I'm worried that he will take my children with him on a fishing trip, and I don't know what to do.

Wifey B: Second RTF on this and say you need both and more. Please don't be hasty and don't operate out of guilt or pressure. There are a lot of lives involved and just catering to grandpa isn't the only aspect. You've got financial issues, health and medical care issues, legal issues, and lifestyle and pleasure issues. :confused:

This reads like nonsensical rambling. First he's moving to your house, then there is discussion of a boat?

Back
Top Bottom