Old 02-12-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Shelbyville, TN
Vessel Name: Gimmie The Keys
Vessel Model: Trophy 2502
So many to choose from...

Hello everyone...My wife and I are still a couple years away from selling the house and buying our floating home but we've been internet educating ourselves and viewing trawlers and motor yachts for sale on line for quite some time. When I describe to you what Ive seen and like and what is important to us, Im hoping some of you with REAL Trawler/Motor Yacht experience might have some thoughts, recommendations and considerations for us regarding yacht manufacturers, engine manufacturers, etc... So....what we seem to be drawn to is the 40'-50' sun deck with aft queen birth and cockpit for easy line handling, swimming, diving etc. As I view yachts with these amenities we seem to be drawn toward Tollycraft, Carver, Jefferson, Marine Trader and a couple others. Firstly, of the 4 manufacturers listed above, is there one (or more) that for some reason you would say to eliminate based on general quality, craftsmanship or any other reason? I should mention that our desire is to do costal cruising and island hoping through the Bahamas. As for Diesel engines...Im seeing Cat, Detroit, Lehman, Ford and Volvo's...again from your experience is there one or more that we should steer away from and why? The yachts that will fit our price point (under $150,000) seem to be in the mid 80's to late 90's model years. Our other desire/goal is to cruise and travel at the most economical speed possible. We wont be in any hurry and 8 kt's is OK...but will any of these boats have any issues with lower RPM's and speed as Ive noticed many posting higher "cruising speeds". Im sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place and Im sorry its so lengthy. Thank you in advance for you time and responses.

Steve & Terri Mills
Shelbyville TN/ Tavernier FL
steve3377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3377 View Post
Hello everyone...My wife and I are still a couple years away from selling the house and buying our floating home but we've been internet educating ourselves and viewing trawlers and motor yachts for sale on line for quite some time. When I describe to you what Ive seen and like and what is important to us, Im hoping some of you with REAL Trawler/Motor Yacht experience might have some thoughts, recommendations and considerations for us regarding yacht manufacturers, engine manufacturers, etc... So....what we seem to be drawn to is the 40'-50' sun deck with aft queen birth and cockpit for easy line handling, swimming, diving etc. As I view yachts with these amenities we seem to be drawn toward Tollycraft, Carver, Jefferson, Marine Trader and a couple others. Firstly, of the 4 manufacturers listed above, is there one (or more) that for some reason you would say to eliminate based on general quality, craftsmanship or any other reason? I should mention that our desire is to do costal cruising and island hoping through the Bahamas. As for Diesel engines...Im seeing Cat, Detroit, Lehman, Ford and Volvo's...again from your experience is there one or more that we should steer away from and why? The yachts that will fit our price point (under $150,000) seem to be in the mid 80's to late 90's model years. Our other desire/goal is to cruise and travel at the most economical speed possible. We wont be in any hurry and 8 kt's is OK...but will any of these boats have any issues with lower RPM's and speed as Ive noticed many posting higher "cruising speeds". Im sorry in advance if I've posted this in the wrong place and Im sorry its so lengthy. Thank you in advance for you time and responses.

Steve & Terri Mills
Shelbyville TN/ Tavernier FL

Meant to include Cummings Diesels as well...sorry
Old 02-12-2017, 02:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
In that age range, up keep by the previous owners will likely be more of an issue. If you have an unlimited amount of money and don't mind loosing months of cruising, Volvo engines are ok. If I bought a boat with Volvo engines, it would be to immediately repower it.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thank you Ted...
Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Steve:

If you have been lurking here long enough you already know this, but Ted's view of Volvos is one extreme. Others are not so quick to condemn that brand or any other.

Any really old engine is going to cost in finding parts if you have a serious problem and a repower may end up being a better option. Any boat with a newish (say less than 35 years old and under 5000 hours) pair of main engines is going to give you many more years and hours of use, provided your pre-purchase survey has confirmed their reliability, and provided you are in a part of the world where those engines are known.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Ok on the Volvo opinion and Less than 35 yrs and under 5k hrs with a good survey...good info. Thanks loads!
Old 02-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #7
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. 3377. If you have been lurking here long enough you already know this as well. It's not so much brand it's condition as initially noted by Mr. OC. Find a boat you both like then find the best example of that vessel in your price range. The majority of information on TF and many sites is anecdotal. That being said, there seem to be more people on TF that actually know what they're talking about and whose opinions should weigh more than "Well, my dock neighbor said...".
MY personal opinion is no sundeck, no wide cabins (walk around decks), no galley down, two staterooms, two heads, twins (Lehmans), stand up ER, full displacement...and I could go on but the vessel WE have fits these criteria and WE like it. She's in pretty good condition for her age (38 years) and we enjoy her for what she is...
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #8

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
re engines: The only two I don't like are two stroke detroits (noisy and inefficient) and volvos (because no one ever comes to their defense and they built a 5-cylinder engine which is dumb). You will find opinions varied widely here (and that's a good thing).

For max economy conventional wisdom I'd say would be full displacement hull, probably single screw, with an engine sized to be near it's peak torque at 8kt (your desired cruising speed). If you want twins (which I did/do), same thing, just not going to be as efficient.
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Be sure it has a Delta anchor.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Punta Gorda
Vessel Name: Encore
Vessel Model: 1988 Albin 40 Sundeck trawler
Here we go again!🤣
VJameslanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev_rm View Post
re engines: The only two I don't like are two stroke detroits (noisy and inefficient) and volvos (because no one ever comes to their defense and they built a 5-cylinder engine which is dumb). You will find opinions varied widely here (and that's a good thing).

For max economy conventional wisdom I'd say would be full displacement hull, probably single screw, with an engine sized to be near it's peak torque at 8kt (your desired cruising speed). If you want twins (which I did/do), same thing, just not going to be as efficient.

What boat and engines do you have Kev?
Old 02-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJameslanza View Post
Here we go again!🤣

Ok, so fill me in...what does "here we go again" mean???
Old 02-12-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3377 View Post
Ok, so fill me in...what does "here we go again" mean???

That was in response to the post above about a delta anchor.

You are getting good advice so far.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
That was in response to the post above about a delta anchor.

You are getting good advice so far.

Good...thank you all.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:12 PM   #15
Guru

You will need a gyroscope. Not on the boat you need it to stop your head from spinning due to all the conflicting information turning you left then right and every other way. Get out and use some boats read about boats and build your own knowledge bank and specific group of opinions and areas of prejudice.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:58 PM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. 3377. If you have been lurking here long enough you already know this as well. It's not so much brand it's condition as initially noted by Mr. OC. Find a boat you both like then find the best example of that vessel in your price range. The majority of information on TF and many sites is anecdotal. That being said, there seem to be more people on TF that actually know what they're talking about and whose opinions should weigh more than "Well, my dock neighbor said...".
MY personal opinion is no sundeck, no wide cabins (walk around decks), no galley down, two staterooms, two heads, twins (Lehmans), stand up ER, full displacement...and I could go on but the vessel WE have fits these criteria and WE like it. She's in pretty good condition for her age (38 years) and we enjoy her for what she is...
While I generally agree with what RTF posts (he also has likely the best sense of humour on TF), his choices will all need qualification. Most of what he likes/dislikes will steer you away from a lot of boats in the lower end of the 40' range. Once you get up to 44' (the size I have, so am most familiar with) that extra room takes care of the downsides of a bunch of design choices. You need to get on a lot of different boats and keep track of what you like/dislike about each. You may find that one feature you dislike on one design, is perfectly fine on another, so you can't generalize that ALL boats with that feature should be off of your list.

As for engines, here in BC, the engines to stay away from are those that have no service network in place. We do have lots of shops that do a great job on Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, and to a lesser extent, Lehman, Perkins, Isuzu and even some lesser known brands. But if, where you will be keeping your boat, there are no reliable shops for the brand of engine you find in an otherwise great boat, you will need to evaluate that deficiency.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
While I generally agree with what RTF posts (he also has likely the best sense of humour on TF), his choices will all need qualification. Most of what he likes/dislikes will steer you away from a lot of boats in the lower end of the 40' range. Once you get up to 44' (the size I have, so am most familiar with) that extra room takes care of the downsides of a bunch of design choices. You need to get on a lot of different boats and keep track of what you like/dislike about each. You may find that one feature you dislike on one design, is perfectly fine on another, so you can't generalize that ALL boats with that feature should be off of your list.

As for engines, here in BC, the engines to stay away from are those that have no service network in place. We do have lots of shops that do a great job on Cummins, Detroit, Volvo, and to a lesser extent, Lehman, Perkins, Isuzu and even some lesser known brands. But if, where you will be keeping your boat, there are no reliable shops for the brand of engine you find in an otherwise great boat, you will need to evaluate that deficiency.

Good info and thanks!!! We'll be in south Florida next month and plan on doing just what you've suggested. After all the internet surfing its time to start getting on a few here and there as we are able. Thanks again!
Old 02-12-2017, 08:08 PM   #18
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Great things about boating...

You can never learn too much nor can you learn it all about marine doings. That's one of the items about boating that keeps us all interested. As well as the fun and freedom and adventures boating automatically provides... income too, if that's your gig!

All this is said to mean boaters who remain excited by and active in boating.

Mariners, be they along for business or pleasure, are a pretty specialized group of world population. Lucky to be sure, IMO. I am privileged and feel honored to belong to such a group. Trawler forum is the best forum I've seen regarding pleasure power boating. I thank all who are included.

My suggestion is to keep your eyes open for a really well maintained Tollycraft in the size and model you prefer.

Happy Boat-Search Daze! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #19
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. k. If you re-read my post I stated the OP should "Find a boat you both like then find the best example of that vessel in your price range." I was NOT suggesting that our boat would suit his need BUT it suits ours quite well.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #20
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. k. If you re-read my post I stated the OP should "Find a boat you both like then find the best example of that vessel in your price range." I was NOT suggesting that our boat would suit his need BUT it suited ours quite well.
RT - Maybe I missed it over the years and maybe you have posted this before...

What is your boat brand/model/size/equipment? Have you photos to share??

Cheers! Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote