Injection pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I may have missed something but if when the upper parts of the pump wear and diesel leaks through to the motor oil reservoir wouldn't this raise the level.Having the breather tube run into the drip pan then would make sense if it maintained the oil level in the pump.

Greetings,
Mr. X. I have considered a petcock in lieu of the drain plug on the minimec BUT the drain hole is so small (in the neighborhood of 1/4") I fear it would take forever to drain although it would indeed make changes easier. The only viable way I would consider a petcock would be to drill the hole larger to accommodate a valve with a larger orifice but that would mean pump removal to do a proper install.

My drain hole on the injection pump was stripped when we bought Sandpiper. The PO had screwed in an oversize plug with sealant holding it in place.

I drilled the drain hole larger, tapped it and screwed in a 90 degree elbow to clear the Johnson pump. Attached a hose with a capped threaded fitting. To drain, all I do is remove the cap and stick the hose into a bottle.

Drilled and tapped with injection pump on engine. Greased the drill and tap to catch metal shavings. Drilled slowly and constantly pulling drill out, clean metal shavings off, regrease. Same procedure with tap. After tapping, poured diesel into the injection pump oil fill hole and let it run out of drilled/tapped hole to remove any shavings that may have escaped the grease. There were no shavings in the diesel.

I usually have to do the 100 hour injection oil change while cruising during the summer. The hose drain on the pump makes it easier and clean.

Hi all - don´t know if this thread is still active, but I have just had my first experience of draining the oil from the injection pump sump and I intend it to be my last. What a foul experience - oil everywhere, including the bilge.

I am thinking that for future oil changes I will just add to the very top of the pump, run the engine for few seconds, then drain it from the oil level hole. Perhaps do this twice. My theory is that this will "dilute" the dirty oil with new oil.
Comments?

Alternatively: I am not keen to retap the drain plug hole in place (as SyJos did), but one other idea came to mind. Perhaps I could use the banjo fitting that was on the overflow line to install a permanent drain tube to the drain port (instead of the dilution idea).
Comments?

Nick (Ford Lehman 120 with Simms pump)

Perhaps I could use the banjo fitting that was on the overflow line to install a permanent drain tube to the drain port).
Comments?

Nick (Ford Lehman 120 with Simms pump)

That's what I did on mine. Although the same thread pitch and banjo was used on older American vehicles for brake lines, I had a hard time finding just the banjo and bolt. I didn't want to buy a $50 brake line kit just for the fitting. The banjo fitting was a little difficult to find (everything seems to be metric so I bought an 8mm banjo). I found a 5/16 24 banjo bolt that fit the metric banjo (which came with copper washers). I then put on a length of fuel hose and a petcock. I'll probably do my first change this week.

What I'm hoping to do is measure the amount drained out and measure the amount I put in (by removing the level plug and having some drool out). If they are the same amounts, then I know I don't have diesel leaking into my pump oil and the next drain and fill can be done without opening the level plug and messing with that. I'll just put the right amount of lube oil in a squirt bottle. With luck, future oil changes will be quick and clean.

Here are photos of my modification. The banjo bolt was tight to get it into place, but it is a one-time deal. The hose is long enough to drain the pump off to the side to a container sitting on the ER floor for however long it takes. The hose is flipped up otherwise in case the fuel petcock has any issues.

Attachments

• banjo.jpg
    banjo.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 19
  • thumbnail_20210407_130147.jpg
    thumbnail_20210407_130147.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 19
Great pictures Marco - thanks for this. I am going to do the same. Did you have to buy the banjo bolt? Where did you get it, what thread is it?

Nick

I screwed a petcock right into my injector pump sump and used a moldable funnel made of plastic-covered lead to direct the oil into a container, but I like the banjo nut arrangement shown here better. I never removed the level bolt to check level after I realized the Simms pump takes exactly two 8-ounce cups of oil. It was just simpler for me to use the one cup twice than a 16-oz container, but YMMV. Be careful about threading anything into that thin aluminum of the sump, easy to mess the whole works up if you try to force something.

Did you have to buy the banjo bolt? Where did you get it, what thread is it?

That info is in post #64 with hyperlinks (to Amazon). Here's a link to the petcock, although those are available all over. For refilling, I'm using a Sriracha bottle. You have to down 28 oz. of hot sauce before you can put a Sharpie line at @16 oz. on the bottle and use it to easily refill the pump.

OK Marco - I am busy downing the hot sauce, but the banjo bolt is now unavailable on Amazon and so far no luck finding it anywhere else. Any ideas? It looks like I will have to make my own . . .

Nick

I simply Googled Banjo fittings and came up with several hits although to far away to be of help most likely but gave me some ideas.

Actually approaching a hydraulic supply shop may be a good bet although you may have to ask a couple. You will have several relatively close to you.

Motor cycle shops,

Try Greenline Hose. They are a BIG hose and fittings distributor.

Back
Top Bottom