Old 05-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #1

City: Oceanside
Information on trawlers

In interested in buying a 1992 Marine Tradeing 44 Europa trawler and would like to know if any one has info as to how well they take a sea and is it a good trawler for coastal cruising down Mexico way. I am a retired Navy man and Merchant Seaman and am used to larger boats.
Bosun Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
1992? Are you referring to the 1982 Marine Trader 44 in San Diego? With the owner in (cough) Colorado?

Looks like it's been more of a liveaboard recently. Ancient marine electronic and new flatscreen TVs. And, um, rocking chairs in the cockpit. Nice touch. And what the hell is going on with that bulkhead above the tub? And the 3 lines going into/near the port bow hawsehole in addition to the mooring line and power? And (degraded) tennis balls for engine controls? it's not every day you see a boat without any windshield wipers - must be an interesting story there.

I don't know that particular boat, but annecdotally these boats are...average for their type. And this type typically has problems with the wood in the flybridge deck, under the teak decks, and in the superstructure (like those aft outboard supports for the boat deck). And often the teak decks have allowed water to collect on the iron tanks - it's very common for them to need replacing after 30+ years unless someone has paid particular attention.

If you're referring to some other boat then ignore all my snide comments about this vessel. And post some images so I can pick on that one instead!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:47 PM   #3
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
1992? Are you referring to the 1982 Marine Trader 44 in San Diego? With the owner in (cough) Colorado?

Looks like it's been more of a liveaboard recently. Ancient marine electronic and new flatscreen TVs. And, um, rocking chairs in the cockpit. Nice touch. And what the hell is going on with that bulkhead above the tub? And the 3 lines going into/near the port bow hawsehole in addition to the mooring line and power? And (degraded) tennis balls for engine controls? it's not every day you see a boat without any windshield wipers - must be an interesting story there.

I don't know that particular boat, but annecdotally these boats are...average for their type. And this type typically has problems with the wood in the flybridge deck, under the teak decks, and in the superstructure (like those aft outboard supports for the boat deck). And often the teak decks have allowed water to collect on the iron tanks - it's very common for them to need replacing after 30+ years unless someone has paid particular attention.

If you're referring to some other boat then ignore all my snide comments about this vessel. And post some images so I can pick on that one instead!
Ouch!
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #4
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ouch indeed. Well, if you note there doesn't appear to be any staining below any of the windows and ports, the brightwork isn't too bad, the ER seems fairly "honest" and the vessel is neat and tidy, I'd say go a bit easier on the sundowners there Mr. r. Those tennis balls could easily be a cheap cover to protect the upper shift and throttle knobs (good idea IMO).

Yes, this particular vessel might suffer from all the ills that are common on Taiwanese vessels of this era but nothing suggests that from the pictures that I can see. Is it worth $85K? Only a good survey would tell.

Mr. BBill. Welcome aboard. Good for coastal cruising down to Mexico? I have no idea what the the water conditions are on the west coast nor the distances involved but I see no reason why that particular vessel could NOT do the trip IF it is in good condition. Of course, ALL weather dependent.
Old 05-19-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: 1978 Hatteras 53MY
Yes, a survey indeed. Water intrusion, black tanks, green wiring.... the works.

THAT SAID,..... she looks presentable, nay pleasant, and a couple of low time Lehmans is nothing to snarf at.

I would take her out to dinner......
Old 05-19-2016, 07:12 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Yes, a survey indeed. Water intrusion, black tanks, green wiring.... the works.

THAT SAID,..... she looks presentable, nay pleasant, and a couple of low time Lehmans is nothing to snarf at.

I would take her out to dinner......
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

City: Oceanside
info for Eroupa

Hey thanks guys for the comments. I see what you mean in the head tub. I do like the hull and house design of the boat.
Bosun Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:27 PM   #8
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
BBill-check in on the "Taiwanese Makes" section in the Builders Forums. Should be some folks there who can be helpful.
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:23 PM   #9
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
We've got one of those head 'tubs', too. But no crack in the bulkhead. Looks pretty nice; a sight and a survey will tell more. Our taste does not include a galley down or all that spindlework. Pretty obviously related to our Fu Hwa.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ouch indeed. Well, if you note there doesn't appear to be any staining below any of the windows and ports, the brightwork isn't too bad, the ER seems fairly "honest" and the vessel is neat and tidy, I'd say go a bit easier on the sundowners there Mr. r. Those tennis balls could easily be a cheap cover to protect the upper shift and throttle knobs (good idea IMO).
I agree on the absence of staining - particularly for the doghouse over the forward cabin - a notoriously difficult area to secure - and at the base of the windshield. But I think we must have different standards regarding brightwork. On the main deck they appear to have slapped a fresh coat over lifted varnish - and on the boat deck I cannot spot a single surface that doesn't need to get completely back to bare wood.

And did you notice the additional cracks in the head? Look below the mirror, and behind the sink. And look at the deterioration of the two doors below the sink. There's obviously a big moisture problem in the head.

The engines are surprisingly tidy.

I can't say whether this is a good boat for the OP's intended use, but I really have the impression that it hasn't left the dock in years.