Information on Hull shapes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got a FD boat and roll seldom bothers me. And when it does I just "buck up". I had thought a few years ago I'd need a seat belt to keep me from sliding inbd off the helmsmans seat onto the salon floor but my bad rolling periods were rather short. Sometimes I just stand to the left of my stbd helm and steer w my right hand. That way I can be vertical while the boat near 45 each way under my feet.

It's a little like the thrusters. Just get good w what you've got and go.

Haylands,
If you haven been there take a spin in BoatDiesel.com and read what you can understand.

Last edited:
While you are logged into Amazon, pick up a copy of "Sell Up and Sail" from your countrymen Bill and Laura Cooper. They retired on a boat that they modified to their requirements which included some medical issues. Good read as well as informative.

For S&G's you could also try my personal favorite, "Away from it all" by Sloan Wilson. A well written view of life afloat by a world class writer.

I'll have a look at Sell up and Sail..

Away from it all is obviously a collectors book now as it's from us$706.00...!!!!!!!

I've got a FD boat and roll seldom bothers me. And when it does I just "buck up". I had thought a few years ago I'd need a seat belt to keep me from sliding inbd off the helmsmans seat onto the salon floor but my bad rolling periods were rather short. Sometimes I just stand to the left of my stbd helm and steer w my right hand. That way I can be vertical while the boat near 45 each way under my feet.

It's a little like the thrusters. Just get good w what you've got and go.

Haylands,
If you haven been there take a spin in BoatDiesel.com and read what you can understand.

Thanks, I've joined boatdiesel and am working my way through it...:thumb:

While you are logged into Amazon, pick up a copy of "Sell Up and Sail" from your countrymen Bill and Laura Cooper. They retired on a boat that they modified to their requirements which included some medical issues. Good read as well as informative.

For S&G's you could also try my personal favorite, "Away from it all" by Sloan Wilson. A well written view of life afloat by a world class writer.

And if you have an original Sell up and sail its well over us$1,000 !!!

Sell Up and Sail: Taking the Ulysses Option (Sailmate) by Bill Cooper (19-Dec-1997) Paperback: Bill Cooper: Amazon.com: Books

Haylands,
I flucked up. It should have been BoatDesign.com.
The other is just about engines.

I broke my back in 1990, it's been screwed back together, I have some nerve damage in my right leg, I've now had two new hips and a left knee that's been patched up twice and will probably need replacing soonish... it doesn't stop me doing much, I just have to do things differently... My wife is a cancer survivor and clear at the moment, we are lucky in that we can just about afford to do this now at the age of 52.... Things like this change your outlook on life and we do tend to live for the moment... we just want to get on with it...

Yikes-that's a lot of Crap!!
Great that we now have some replaceable people parts but they never seem to be as good as the originals but better than the "broken originals". Congratulations for making it thru all that and not heading to the Rocking Chair like I might have done if faced with the same.

Trouble is, we have never been boat people, probably because of circumstance more than not wanting to...

Well, you can't be a "boat person" until you get a Boat...then you are one!
Seems you are going about it the right way--lot of shopping, looking, reading, riding, talking, repeat, repeat, repeat and pick the best one you can find before you get totally tired of the shopping process.

With all that in mind and a recent trip to look at boats and see what I need (being 6"5' doesn't help either) to be able to service/fix it we have come to the conclusion that we want a 50-60ft motor boat, we don't want a fast one as the trip is as important as the location, we need one that is easy to get off and on a tender when on the hook.

We want one that is as comfy as possible, we appreciate that all boats are a compromise but want to go for the most comfortable if we can...

a 50-60' boat is a lot of boat for 2 people. I recently concluded a 2-plus year shopping odyssey and purchased a 52' boat and I'm not yet sure I didn't buy a little more boat than I needed or actually wanted...have to keep the wife happy. We are leaving in late April in the Pacific Northwest--so we will see how it works out. I'm 6' 4" but I still have all my original parts in reasonable working order.

So what type of boat would suit us best, I don't mean the specific make and model, just the design?

I'm certainly not a consultant on this but I've had some sort of boat most of my life. What you describe your "mission" to be sounds like a full displacement trawler with stabilizers (of some sort) would be what you might enjoy. You're not in a hurry but the trip you envision will be in a lot of open water with swells--a rolly type sea and stablilzers will make a lot of difference. With two of you on board I would try to look at some 48" +/- boats because it seems that a lot changes once you crack the 50' barrier.
I know, I know--I just bought one. ;-)

Patience and persistence during your search-sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's frustrating.

Good Luck

High, strong railings and a 360-degree deck without steps as well as keel-protected rudder and propeller were my top criteria, as long as the boat slept two, fed six, and entertained ten. And yes the boat rolls.

We are 58' w/stabilizers although not zero speed stabilizers. We also have 8,000 lbs of ballast. We have never had a problem with roll while anchored. While we certainly have had some roll, it has never been an issue. IMHO, roll at anchor has never been a big enough issue to be the determining factor in boat choice. With the stabilizers, roll is never an issue when underway. As has been said here more than once, when you have them you will never want to be without them. If you will be truly OK with the limited speed of the FD hull, it seems a waste to me to go to a SD. We have been content with our cruising speed of around 8-8.5 knots and have never really felt the need for more. We gain quite a bit of interior volume over a similar sized SD hull. We do not have larger engines (we are twins @158hp each) that will never be run more than 30-40% of their max. If all that suits you, consider an FD hull. If you feel you might need a bit of speed now and again, go with the SD. Unless you are going to make some long passages where the fuel capacity and the seakeeping ability of the FD are deciding factors, the speed difference is the most critical factor between the two to me.

Thank you all some good info there...

manyboats

boatdesign.com seems to sell plans to make boats...!!!

ktdtx

New hips are amazing, two years ago this plan was a total no go, these new hips are 95% as good as OK ones and a few thousand % better than worn out ones... Knees on the other hand are not quite so good that's why I'm putting it off as long as possible...

Defo want over 50"... the rooms seem to get bigger, under 50" and they just try to squeeze in additional rooms, well that's what I have noticed... what do you mean by because it seems that a lot changes once you crack the 50' barrier what changes ??

markpierce

Totally agree with High, strong railings and a 360-degree deck without steps as well as keel-protected rudder and propeller were my top criteria

Ours will have to sleep 6 on a few occasions...

THD

That looks like the way we will go a FD with some stabilizing, there do seem to be far more SD hulls on sale at the moment though.... Never mind we have about a year to wait anyway...

It is great to get personal input, most stuff you read about all this, comes from someone who is trying to sing praises about their own product or service and that is very frustrating...

We plan to spend as much time as possible on the hook and away from marinas so I wanted the stability of a full displacement, did look at some sport fishing boats to convert but they all have planing hulls and I've read are not so stable, or is that more smoke and mirrors.... Wish I could buy some experience somewhere...:banghead:

I'll tell ya all I know for a "dollar three eighty - plus tax"! That's just an old NY joke. I'll tell you what I know for free. PM me if you want my phone number. Been boating on many types of boats for decades. - Cheers! Art

what do you mean by because it seems that a lot changes once you crack the 50' barrier what changes ??

A 50-something foot boat is (obviously) just bigger. Not only some number of feet longer but more beam and taller-more square feet of fiberglass.
More boat to wash, wax, paint, more windows to stop leaks, more sunbrella fabric, etc.
Bigger zincs, bigger shafts, propellers (more expensive).
A fifty-something boat at the waterline requires a 60' slip/dockage after adding swim platform, anchor overhang, etc--these are harder to find, cost more.

Depending on configuration of boat can be more difficult for 2 people to handle while docking, anchoring--walkaround, widebody, semi-widebody, all on one level, different levels, access to dock and dinghy (which you have mentioned) especially when mobility might be a little limited.

Haylands,
Try "BoatDesign.net".
Sorry

Thanks, I'll have a read..... we got there in the end:thumb:

I'll tell ya all I know for a "dollar three eighty - plus tax"! That's just an old NY joke. I'll tell you what I know for free. PM me if you want my phone number. Been boating on many types of boats for decades. - Cheers! Art

Art, Very kind offer, I'll read all these books and sites that have been recommended and see how I get on, if I need to I'll see if I can find a cheap international phone card and ring...:thumb:

A 50-something foot boat is (obviously) just bigger. Not only some number of feet longer but more beam and taller-more square feet of fiberglass.
More boat to wash, wax, paint, more windows to stop leaks, more sunbrella fabric, etc.
Bigger zincs, bigger shafts, propellers (more expensive).
A fifty-something boat at the waterline requires a 60' slip/dockage after adding swim platform, anchor overhang, etc--these are harder to find, cost more.

Depending on configuration of boat can be more difficult for 2 people to handle while docking, anchoring--walkaround, widebody, semi-widebody, all on one level, different levels, access to dock and dinghy (which you have mentioned) especially when mobility might be a little limited.

Thanks, I appreciate the bigger the boat the more it costs but the primary concern is how comfortable it is and how easy to do things on it, and bigger generally means better...

Access is one thing we will look at carefully, there seem to be some very poor designs in that respect, I'd also like a solid and strong gunwale.... our "must have" list is getting a bit long and I don't think the boat exists...

Welcome aboard, compromise....!!!

Just a little thing to throw into the mix. Along the East Coast the recreational and some commercial fishing fleet is almost purely planning craft and SD(lobster type). These planning and SD boats go out in the open ocean 50-100 miles off shore(some stay for days) on a regular basis and often come back in through potentially dangerous inlets. I don't think it is fair to knock their seaworthiness against the new high sided trawler and cottage boat FD types.

Jay Benford's Small Ships has the Florida Bay Coaster yachts. They come in many sizes but all are LARGE. Kind of like the previously suggested Highclere Castle only floating.
The book has everything except the full sized plans.

Take a look at Great Harbour Trawlers - Great Harbour Trawlers: America's go-anyhere liveaboards, go to the "Great Design" tab and read Ken Fickett's treatise on "Trawler Truths". There is such a thing as a hard chine, full displacement hull form. As long as you are comfortable with a 7.5 knot cruise speed, features like the shallow draft and twin engines make this a pretty compelling option for the type of cruising you describe. Not ALL Full Displacement trawlers roll at anchor!

Barges are hard chine (90 degrees) and are very stable.

Haylands,
Just read thru the posts in this thread. First thing that came to mind which hasn't been brought up: With your medical history, you may want to pay close attention to engine room layout. You will end up doing some maintenance yourself, sometimes underway. A stand up engine room may be much more comfortable for you guys.

We have a 60' FD hull. Rolling at anchor is not an issue. In any case you could always deploy paravanes if you wanted to.

I think you'll find the motion of a full displacement easier overall, but I would counsel you to take as many boats out as possible to get a feel for it.

Last point, Maintining a 60' boat is a labor of love, or deep pockets (sometimes both). We usually break down cleaning into a 4 day process:
Day one: teak decks (I'd steer you away from these personally)
Day two: Hull
Day three: stainless and windows
Day four: interior
The key is not to let it get away from you. Much easier to maintain than to get up to par. In any event, look closely at interiors, you may find out that you'd be better served with a somewhat smaller boat that would be easier to maintain.

Try it in a beam sea proportional in size to the size that would
make Willy roll badly.

Ted

Haylands,
Just read thru the posts in this thread. First thing that came to mind which hasn't been brought up: With your medical history, you may want to pay close attention to engine room layout. You will end up doing some maintenance yourself, sometimes underway. A stand up engine room may be much more comfortable for you guys.

We have a 60' FD hull. Rolling at anchor is not an issue. In any case you could always deploy paravanes if you wanted to.

I think you'll find the motion of a full displacement easier overall, but I would counsel you to take as many boats out as possible to get a feel for it.

Last point, Maintining a 60' boat is a labor of love, or deep pockets (sometimes both). We usually break down cleaning into a 4 day process:
Day one: teak decks (I'd steer you away from these personally)
Day two: Hull
Day three: stainless and windows
Day four: interior
The key is not to let it get away from you. Much easier to maintain than to get up to par. In any event, look closely at interiors, you may find out that you'd be better served with a somewhat smaller boat that would be easier to maintain.

Well put

Try it in a beam sea proportional in size to the size that would
make Willy roll badly.

Ted

I assume you meant my Willy Ted. W/O power in even 2' seas she rolls badly. Had an engine out and working on it one leg over each side was extremely difficult. Even worse w both legs on one side. Didn't really get over it physically and completely for a month or two. Just the wrong perion I guess. Put an anchor out w 100' or so of line but it wouldn't put her head to the wind.
But underway most all the time roll can be controlled to an acceptable level by small course changes. There are times when you've just got to buck up and bear it .... like in a narrow channel w other boats.
Hassen't happened to me but being just to windward of a ship w even a small sea could be bad. However I actually did that w a 16' OB and she ran really smooth. Never have been able to explain that. The waves were jumping up and down from the reflected waves ..... I went up and down to be sure but practically no roll. Wave frequency .. roll period .. I assume.

Yep Eric, I meant yours.
Take a sea that is bad for Willy, scale it up proportionally to that
barge and i don't think you will be comfortable on it either.

Ted

Thanks for the posts, all info gratefully received...

No Mast..

I will be doing all the repairs and servicing on the boat, I'm not one to sit about and do nothing for long... I'm also a bit OCD so staying on top of things is a religion... I take your point about a size easier to maintain but am of the opinion that the bigger the better (to a point) The easier it is for me to get around, through, under and over things the better it will be, there don't seem to be many boats under 50 ft that have the space we want and a walk in ER... The boss and I like our space so we were never going to end up with a "normal" size boat for 2....:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom