Old 10-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: detroit and punta gorda
Vessel Name: Fuhgedaboutit
Vessel Model: 1966 38 CC COMMANDER, 1976 42 California LCR , 1991 42 Holiday Mansion
inflatable tender recommendations

looking at 10 ft rigid bottom inflatables for southwest florida will be on davits most of the year.
I've just read the reviews on zodiacs and they were all negative. most said they last 2 years and fall apart and the supplier is not backing their product.
Any recommendations and comments would be welcome.
I can be reached at invaderjb@gmail.com also.
jeff brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
I've been very happy with my AB. Aluminium hull, now 6 years old already. It has a Honda which has been trouble free although has one place that gets rust. I would have preferred a Yamaha on it, but the dealer I bought from was unable to do that.
Old 10-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #3

City: Seattle
Vessel Model: 55 Offshore
I’ll second AB. I think the quality is worth the premium they charge.
Bradenvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #4

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
ABs are my first choice too. Here in the PNW, we have rocky and shell-infested beaches and I'm never concerned about pulling it up on shore with the aluminum hull.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Beaufort, NC USA
Vessel Name: Sylphide
Vessel Model: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom
I’ll be shopping for one soon too, so I’m interested in responses.
Wayfarer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 09:49 PM   #6
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Hypalon or PVC? I'd prefer Hypalon. Some of the Zodiacs are PVC. Glues are the issue with most breakdowns.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:00 AM   #7

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Any thoughts on Achilles?
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 04:31 AM   #8
FF
Guru

The problem with all these boats is sunshine eats them.

An easily installed syn cover used all the time will extend the boat life.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
I've had great service from AB as well. I think the key is to pay up for Hypalon or equivalent brand. I think that's where a lot of the sun resistance comes from. Chaps are an option too for additional protection.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:22 AM   #10
Guru

City: Hampton Beach, NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
I have been researching a new dinghy for awhile. For me, priorities are light weight, speed, durability, and comfort. For light weight and speed, I have decided to go with an Evinrude 25 HP on an aluminum RIB. For comfort, thinking Hula helm and a bench seat with back rest. For durability, Hypalon and well-known brand is a given. 90% sure I'll be driving to Defender and buying an Achilles HB 335AX (with Hula Helm and bench seat w/backrest) next Spring. Seems to check all the boxes.

FWIW, I know there are some great four stroke OBs out there, but I love two strokes. For the same weight you get: more low end torque, more HP, and much less maintenance, what's not to love?
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:01 AM   #11
Guru

City: Looking
Vessel Name: --
Vessel Model: Between boats
You might consider plastic. I am a big fan of plastic boats, having owned several Windrider trimarans in the past.

We bought a Whaly 310 (10ft) model a year ago and really like it. It is indestructible - driving it up on lumpy beaches, no sun damage whatsoever, internal flotation.

The 310 is only 159lbs, too, so it is pretty light for being rotomolded plastic. Has a built in storage locker.

It was a bit of a task getting it here - we ordered it from a US distributor and then had to wait for the container ship to come over from the Netherlands, driving to the port in Savannah to pick it up to avoid shipping charges. It was still well worth it to us, however. We are enjoying never worrying about anything regarding the dinghy.

It looks like the prices have gone up a bit since we bought - might be worth a phone call to see about any deals. It also looks like there are more dealers around in the US.

https://www.whalyboatsusa.com/

Anyway, another option. Photo of the Whaly up on the deckhouse roof.
Attached Thumbnails
20190411_143539-1280x720.jpg  
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
boathealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:02 AM   #12
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff brown View Post
looking at 10 ft rigid bottom inflatables for southwest florida will be on davits most of the year.
Any recommendations and comments would be welcome.

We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310, plastic (I think) bottom and Hypalon tubes. They offer several features we like, but that's not a recommendation... and there's a thread or two on cruisersforum about hull failures. We haven't experienced that (yet?), might have to do with lifting technique, dunno...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
FWIW, I know there are some great four stroke OBs out there, but I love two strokes. For the same weight you get: more low end torque, more HP, and much less maintenance, what's not to love?
We don't use our dink often enough to keep the gas (ethanol) lines and carb working. So torque, HP, etc. don't much matter to us when the thing won't run without doing a carb service first. Might be different with larger multi-cylinder models... but our first criterion is "it runs", and all that other stuff is way down the list somewhere. So far, 4-stroke EFI has been a big improvement. Can't tell if the additional cylinder on our current outboard has been part of the solution or not.

-Chris
Old 10-07-2019, 08:11 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We don't use our dink often enough to keep the gas (ethanol) lines and carb working. So torque, HP, etc. don't much matter to us when the thing won't run without doing a carb service first. Might be different with larger multi-cylinder models... but our first criterion is "it runs", and all that other stuff is way down the list somewhere. So far, 4-stroke EFI has been a big improvement. Can't tell if the additional cylinder on our current outboard has been part of the solution or not.
Same here. Smallest EFI we could find was a 9.9. A bit too much for our dinghy, but I'd rather have the reliability and no fuel headaches.
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-07-2019, 09:59 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdavi View Post
Any thoughts on Achilles?
Achilles SE11, soft bottom, wood floor. 10 yrs in I replaced the floor with Al Checker plate. Stiffened the ride considerably, but added weight.
Sold at 15 yrs, still in good shape. Buyer was a friend who got another 10 yrs before moving up to a RIB.
I now have a Caribe. Equivalent quality.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:19 AM   #15

City: Out and About
Vessel Model: Sold-GB 52 Europa, Queenship 59, Tolly 45
Our boat came with a 20 year old Novurania 360. It clearly was not pampered or covered but I am impressed with how it has held up. Holds air just fine. I was planning on replacing it but it does everything we need it to do and still looks fine.
gsholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #16
Guru

City: .
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: Hatteras 58 LRC
13' Boston Whaler.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310, plastic (I think) bottom and Hypalon tubes. They offer several features we like, but that's not a recommendation... and there's a thread or two on cruisersforum about hull failures. We haven't experienced that (yet?), might have to do with lifting technique, dunno...

-Chris

Just to be clear, Evinrude Etec engines are fuel injected two strokes.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
Just to be clear, Evinrude Etec engines are fuel injected tow strokes.
I don't think these are the same as a conventional four stroke electronic fuel injection.

Some companies appear to be hijacking the "EFI" description for marketing purposes.

I believe elsewhere this is referred as two-stroke "direct fuel injection".

https://www.boats.com/resources/outb...-dfi-tutorial/
m/v SCOUT Projects Page
Old 10-07-2019, 11:42 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boathealer View Post
I don't think these are the same as a conventional four stroke electronic fuel injection.

Some companies appear to be hijacking the "EFI" description for marketing purposes.

I believe elsewhere this is referred as two-stroke "direct fuel injection".

https://www.boats.com/resources/outb...-dfi-tutorial/

True that. The fuel injection on an Etec is more advanced than the fuel injection on typical 4 stroke engines. Instead of injecting fuel into the air stream outside of the combustion chamber, the direct injection system injects fuel into the combustion chamber after the intake and exhaust ports are closed so that unburned fuel is never exposed to an open port. The fuel is also injected at very high pressure so that it atomizes well and burns cleanly.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #20
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
We're pleased with the Highfield we have.

We would strongly recommend against Walker Bay based on our experience trying to get parts for one.
danderer is online now   Reply With Quote