Inflatable SUP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've only tried a SUP a couple of times and agree that as a mode of transportation it is not going to stack up well against a canoe or kayak. To me, the thing I find intriguing about paddleboards is just how difficult it can be to master, so it is a worthy pursuit. Kind of like hitting a little ball down a field a then trying to get it to fall in a little hole in the ground. What a silly game!

Dreamer,
As per a good discussion I'd just like to hear somebody admit that ergonomically standing while paddling does not result in nearly the mechanical advantage of a shorter paddle and a lower paddling position.
And secondly I think it's obvious the wetted surface of the board is much greater than that of a canoe. Much wider too.
So as a paddle boat with good performance they are poor compared to a canoe.

If this was an objective discussion several would agree that the above is true. So this is not a discussion but friendly and unfriendly banter.

I may have missed it, but I don't recall that anyone suggested that a SUP was efficient transportation. It is a fun way to get on the water and get some exercise. I have a treadmill and at one time used it a lot. Great exercise but very inefficient as a means of transportation.

I don't think any of the comments were unfriendly nor were they meant to be. [emoji4]

I may have missed it, but I don't recall that anyone suggested that a SUP was efficient transportation. It is a fun way to get on the water and get some exercise. I have a treadmill and at one time used it a lot. Great exercise but very inefficient as a means of transportation.

I don't think any of the comments were unfriendly nor were they meant to be. [emoji4]

Wifey B: Treadmills lie. :angry: They tell you that you've walked five miles, but you look around and you haven't gone anywhere. :rofl:

Treadmills are fitness equipment.

SUP's are playthings, toys. Nothing more.

We were by the toy store this week. Little Hobie Cats, so cute. Now, I don't know about the jet blade. Hooking myself up and going flying through the air, no thanks. Seabob's don't turn me on either. Hovercraft's look like fun. Then the Schiller bike, but I only saw the picture of it.

Now, one that is along a line we've talked here. Has anyone tried a Gocycle? They're two wheel drive. Front is electric. Back is pedal. Electric goes 15 mph, range of 50 miles. They have a model designed for marine use. :ermm:

So far, just kayaks and paddleboards and Rib's. We don't even have jet ski's. :)

Maybe the inefficiency of the SUP adds to the physical workout. Inflatable might be convenient for storage, anyone with kayak(s) on board will understand that, but solid sounds better. At Christmas a lady paddled round our anchorage with a dog at her feet, anything including a dog is good. Exploring in the kayaks is one of the first things we do after settling into an anchorage,the SUP does something similar, but with more prospect of an unplanned swim. I`m staying with the kayak.

Good comments.
I'm seeing things I hadn't thought of like the paddeling being a workout. And working out in the gym or on the running trail is very popular now. So why not work out on the water where even more people can see you. Someone mentioned the rotational forces on the abbs.

And just now I think I may have stumbled (mentally) on what makes them so popular. Here goes .... It's kinda like walking on water. How many times have you heard the expression "walking on water"? In the early days of hangliding we thought we were doing magic by "flying like birds"... another magic thing becoming some sort of a reality. I think there's a touch of magic in the Paddleboard because it smacks so heavily on walking on water.

And of course this explains why nobody but me thought of the boards as being a ineffecient silly way to paddle on the water. I was analyzing (like I like to do) the paddle board as a boat hull to be measured as all boat hulls are measured. Stability, resistance, wetted surface, carrying capacity ect ect and the other traditional naval architecture elements of boat design. But in doing so I missed the boat (pun) in seeing the "lookie me lookie me I'm walking on water" part of it. I just missed the boat.

But now I've been called an angry old man. Well I was angry (just a bit) because nobody was seeing what was so obvious to me and wouldn't engage in a serious discussion about .... walking on water. Hmmmm

So like Sailor of Fortune said I should lighten up and see the fun in it.

Eric,

I think you nailed it with the walking on water description. For me, that is one of the great appeals of the paddleboard-- you are standing and have a great view. Obviously when paddling against the wind standing is not so great, so if too windy I will paddle on my knees.

Eric

I have learned quite a bit about these SUB almost enough to be an internet expert. ?

To me the advantage to the inflatable is it doesn't take up much room to store but it's not for ma, I have trouble balancing in my LazyBoy. ? It hell to get old after being an athlete for my first 30 plus years.

Wifey B: YAY ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Sometimes it's fun to just think of fun. No business, no engineering, no practical. Fun fun fun till your daddy takes the t-bird away. :D

Eric,

I think you nailed it with the walking on water description. For me, that is one of the great appeals of the paddleboard-- you are standing and have a great view. Obviously when paddling against the wind standing is not so great, so if too windy I will paddle on my knees.

Wifey B: For those less inclined to want to hit the water or with poorer balance, the next step is paddleboards with handles. Hobie even has them with handles and pedals, so pedalboards.

To me the most wonderful thing is going to Harrison Bay State Park or somewhere similar and seeing dozens of kids and young people enjoying the water on $10 an hour paddleboards or kayaks. Ultimately isn't anything that gets people on the water good? Maybe the start to their boating?

Nice quiet and less bothersome alternative to PWC's too. :D

My first concert was as an undergrad mid '60s and it was The Beach Boys. ��

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom