Inflatable SUP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last weekend (June 11) a race to Alaska from Victoria BC (British Columbia) started. Early Monday morning the first few entrants went by my home. I was made aware of this by an email from my son, and soon began watching some of them (2017 Race to Alaska - Stage 2: Long Haul North). I was particularly impressed by the first one I saw go by, as it was a SUP called "Heart of Gold". Check out the tracker today, and you will find this SUP still paddling well, near Bella Bella, so about 1/2 way to AK. Gives the SUPs some legitimacy.

Wow. That's pretty crazy, IMO. [emoji57]

Indeed,
I have another thought that leads to the greatest amount of acronyming.

There is a group that is so large it takes in most all other groupd. The group WP most eagerly wishes to be a part of .. or more a part of.
What's happening now. What's new. What's considered smart. The latest of everything. Politics from down the street to Aisa and Europe. Everything in People Magazine, on Yahoo and Goggle News. In other words those that are at the leading edge of what people are doing, saying and thinking. This is what WB aspires to. Things that represent now, high levels of achievement and broad knowledge. Of course those people (so far unnamed) are high energy, very active and use little sleep.

And frequently these folks think anything that happened a day ago is just for old folks to ponder.

I have convinced myself over many years that acronyms are done in may cases to add exclusivity especially in certain areas like doctors, lawyers, engineers, military and others.

Just my SSO.

Another possibility is that the people in those groups use certain terms frequently enough that it is more efficient to plug in acronyms. My business uses quite a few that are just much quicker to say than using the entire term.

The groups you named, as well as other groups, use many lengthy terms that are shortened considerably by using the acronym. Those acronyms are familiar to those in the group and maybe not to others outside of the group. I would bet there is some part of your own life (work or hobby) that you use terms and acronyms that others may not be familiar with. I wouldn't suggest that you use them to add exclusivity to your group. Its just faster and easier, so you do it.

Guy

You may be correct but when I use then, nor very often, I don't want the person to know what I am saying. LOL

Wifey B: Until recently, most acronyms were just shortened ways to say things. Who wants to say North Atlantic Treaty Organization when you can just say "NATO"? Or National Aeronautics and Space Administration when you can say "NASA"? How often do you say Internal Revenue Service instead of IRS?

Then along came chat rooms, which are mostly dead now, but they developed some of their own language. It provided very convenient ways to react to things said. LOL was the first. Someone says something humorous, but they can't hear you laugh so you "LOL". Then several others to show more laughter such as "ROFL" and then "ROFLMAO" so even degrees of laughter.

Now we have texting and the desire to save keystrokes. I can't bring myself to use the extremes and type something like "I hope 2 C U soon." Frankly, many of them don't save that many keystrokes. 2 vs To. 1 keystroke. :nonono:

And along came twitter with 140 character limits so then people really went wild finding ways to reduce characters.

Now back to the early LOL's and such to express emotions, along came smilies, which I may have been known to use once or twice ;) and now Emoji's have become big. They like smilies and like lol are attempts at including emotion. One of the biggest issues with typing online is that the emotion often doesn't accompany the words. You can't see if the person was serious or joking? You don't get a tone.

Now, we don't have emoji's here so stuck with just smilies. However, look at the difference between these two typed phrases:

That's about enough of your crap. :mad:

That's about enough of your crap. :D:rofl:

When I use acronyms I do try to tailor to the audience. If one was texting or on twitter or in a chat room SMH would be understood, but here if I want to say "Shaking My Head" I use :nonono:

So, the OP (note how acceptable OP is here just as PO is, but newcomers are often confused by them) used SUP, which has become a widely known term, but not with this audience and so a translation was needed. NBD (No Big Deal). :)

We have 2 inflatable SUP's (Stand Up Paddleboards). An Evolve yoga board for my wife that is shorter and wider and more stable ($900+ including a paddle - not on sale - Christmas gift so I splurged). And a Xterra "Cruising" board that is longer and thinner and therefor less stable but you can cruise faster than the yoga board ($695 on sale including paddle). Make sure you check out the size / dimensions / recommended usage to meet your needs. These things are awesome - easy to store on the boat, everything fits in the backpack and if you get adventurous, you can hike up to a mountain lake with these suckers on your back! My wife says the yoga board is much easier on her feet and knees than our hard boards.

Speaking of that, we were paddling around a marina last week and I had a guy ask me "wasn't I worried about stray current in the marina?". I told him I had never heard of a SUP'er being effected by this. Don't get me wrong, I know stray current is real but that seemed overly cautious to me and I believe he just didn't appreciate SUP'ers in his Marina. I'm in the Annapolis, MD area and there is a strong SUP community - just thought it was an interesting question.

WifeyB

Your education is showing. LOL. ROTF.
Good job, I still don't like acronyms. :banghead:

We have 2 inflatable SUP's (Stand Up Paddleboards). An Evolve yoga board for my wife that is shorter and wider and more stable ($900+ including a paddle - not on sale - Christmas gift so I splurged). And a Xterra "Cruising" board that is longer and thinner and therefor less stable but you can cruise faster than the yoga board ($695 on sale including paddle). Make sure you check out the size / dimensions / recommended usage to meet your needs. These things are awesome - easy to store on the boat, everything fits in the backpack and if you get adventurous, you can hike up to a mountain lake with these suckers on your back! My wife says the yoga board is much easier on her feet and knees than our hard boards.

Speaking of that, we were paddling around a marina last week and I had a guy ask me "wasn't I worried about stray current in the marina?". I told him I had never heard of a SUP'er being effected by this. Don't get me wrong, I know stray current is real but that seemed overly cautious to me and I believe he just didn't appreciate SUP'ers in his Marina. I'm in the Annapolis, MD area and there is a strong SUP community - just thought it was an interesting question.

Wifey B: We've rented them a couple of times when cruising. So much fun. Last time was Harrison Bay State Park on Lake Chickamauga. They rent canoes, kayaks, paddleboards, and row boats. For fun, it's kayaks and paddleboards all the way. Don't know which I like most. Sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't. It's like choosing between Mounds and Almond Joy. :D

WifeyB

Your probably right but I'm still learning.

I always go for the male bar! :)

This board got some good reviews. Cheap from Costco at $479.

Why isn't SUP SUPB?

I learned a bit or more from your posts WB.

I have a Tower board. Nothing fancy. Got it to take on our sailboat, will bring it on the Tug now. Easy to inflate, store. Very stiff. Not expensive. https://www.towerpaddleboards.com/

Attachments

• IMG_1149.JPG
    IMG_1149.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1151.JPG
    IMG_1151.JPG
    53.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
My wife has been interested in a SUP. Not sure why as she could be described as "substantial", "stout", "full figured" etc.... She also doesn't have great balance anymore. While it would be good exercise for her, as well as good to improve her balance, I doubt she could get back on the board when she fell off.

Even so, it would be fun for the the kids. I would also enjoy it. The problem is that we rapidly can get too many toys, particularly considering that our weather and water is way too cold most of the year to venture in the water.

My wife has been interested in a SUP. Not sure why as she could be described as "substantial", "stout", "full figured" etc.... She also doesn't have great balance anymore. While it would be good exercise for her, as well as good to improve her balance, I doubt she could get back on the board when she fell off.

Even so, it would be fun for the the kids. I would also enjoy it. The problem is that we rapidly can get too many toys, particularly considering that our weather and water is way too cold most of the year to venture in the water.

My wife has no intrinsic sense of balance, can't catch a ball, etc, but LOVES to paddleboard. I recommend it. Get two.

I have a new SUP, it's a Red Paddle 13'2" inflatable and I love it! I have a seat and don't try to stand up since I don't want to get wet. It rolls up and stores when not in use or for use as an extra since I only have two kayaks. It paddles well when kneeling and maybe someday I will have the nerve to try standing up paddling it. In the mean time I use a kayak paddle.

I got one a year out of date and got a really good discount on it. It's upper end, since I learned long ago that most often you DO get what you pay for. It weighs 25 lbs and you can easily pick it up and carry it above the tide line, even if it's far away when the tide goes out (or is out).

Good ones are tough as you could ask for them to be, cheap ones not so much. It tracks straighter than a kayak when the fin is on the bottom and is faster than a sit on top kayak. When you go to put it on deck it is easy to lift and store, unlike kayaks...

I am a 200 lb paddler and it sits high and rides dry in any water I want to paddle it in. I do wear rain pants because water drips off the paddle on my legs, as my sit on top kayaks do. I would choose it over the kayaks and it is a lot easier to load and unload as well as storing very small when not in use.

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3459.jpg
    IMG_3459.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 38

Dave:

She doesn't read what you post here, does she?

Dave:

She doesn't read what you post here, does she?

Nope. I only LOOK stupid. :)

We are both looking forward to her retiring in 2 days. The lack of stress will be great for her general health and happiness. That can lead to more intentional food planning and I can hope to lose that next 10 lbs. My wife can get some more exercise and may be able to some day pull herself up on a SUP!

Nope. I only LOOK stupid. :)

We are both looking forward to her retiring in 2 days. The lack of stress will be great for her general health and happiness. That can lead to more intentional food planning and I can hope to lose that next 10 lbs. My wife can get some more exercise and may be able to some day pull herself up on a SUP!

Wifey B: R - 2. Yay. :dance:

Just to add our two cents: My wife has a SUP and absolutely loves it. It is an Airis SUV 11 inflatable, made by Walker Bay (the dinghy company). The foot pads are fiberglass, so it provides additional stiffness, and has a bunch of tie downs for anything you want to bring along. All this said, I hate it. Not hate using it or the quality, I just hate inflating and storing it. We have an electric high pressure pump, but that requires pulling out the portable jump battery, and even the high pressure will only get it to around 8-9 lbs. The rest has to be done by hand, and takes forever even with the expensive two stage pump that I bought. These things are really sensitive to having them at the right pressure. And you can't leave it in the sun uncovered, or it will deteriorate and due to the pressure going up in the heat, the seams could let go (as happened to our last dinghy). So, I have to inflate it at the start of every weekend/trip, then deflate and store it in the bag in a compartment at the end of the weekend. While I highly recommend the Airis if you want an inflatable, once this one wears out, I'm getting her a solid SUP that will live on the pilothouse roof in a protective bag when it isn't being used. Perhaps if we didn't have a convenient place to store a solid board I would feel different.

It's all about getting out on the water, right? Boat, kayak, canoe, whatever is the latest thing. Water just makes me feel good. So mine is WHATSUP.

Water Heals All Troubles Stand Up Paddleboard.

Can I get an emoji for that?

Wifey B: Because paddleboard is used as one word. :)

:thumb:

If you're looking for a gift to remember, get a GoPro video camera in the deal. This combo will guarantee you bargaining power for years to come.

You can thank me later...

:thumb:

If you're looking for a gift to remember, get a GoPro video camera in the deal. This combo will guarantee you bargaining power for years to come.

You can thank me later...

Yeah, I have a couple GoPro cameras and now have a drone as well. Makes for some fun shots.

For the SUP called "Heart of Gold" the R2Ak finished at Ketchikan after 14 days. First SUP to succeed.

Thanks for that link, CD. Now I know this thread should have been entitled ISUP. I never knew that TLA.

I use and I bought my one at West Marine

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom