Inexpensive shaft and prop treatment that works

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foggysail

Guru
Vessel Make
1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
I hauled today and one of the first things I wanted to check was the growth on my submerged metal. I WAS IMPRESSED!!!!!!

Last spring I painted...... with a brush.... all my exposed metal with Rustolium paint purchased from one of the popular big box stores along with a cheap paint brush. No the paint didn’t have zinc chromate anywhere on the label and from my results I feel zinc chromate is unnecessary.

Before painting what I will call the primer....Rustolium of course, I did my best to get the metals clean but I certainly was not too fussy. I forgot if I added more than one coat, most likely I did not.

The next day after letting the paint dry overnight, I painted over the primer with a hard bottom paint that I purchased from Defender. As I type, I don’t remember who the manufacturer was and later I’ll try to find the can if I still have it. My point, I don’t believe it is important other than it must be a hard bottom paint and not ablative.

My shafts and props have never, ever looked so great since I have owned the boat. And no, I am not trying to push a product other than common, inexpensive off the shelf paints. But OK, enough bragging. Take a look at the attached pictures and see for yourselves and yes, the boat was in continuously in the water from around the first week in May until today. I have read so many posts about expensive prop/shaft treatments that may or may not work. So judge for yourselves.

Attachments

• 4EC182EF-D594-4E49-9CA4-C431AD3FC58E.jpg
    4EC182EF-D594-4E49-9CA4-C431AD3FC58E.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 169
  • F367A836-458C-44E9-9EF4-922A425ED55E.jpg
    F367A836-458C-44E9-9EF4-922A425ED55E.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 164
I hauled today and one of the first things I wanted to check was the growth on my submerged metal. I WAS IMPRESSED!!!!!!
Unless using Propspeed or similar, hard a/f over a primer (if needed)is the standard here. Did you do the rudders too,or are they in ablative?
With any luck you should be able to clean up/sand the hard a/f and just recoat when the time comes.
I was using propspeed but the entry to our marina area can be shallow at low tide,the yard recommended going back to hard.

Unless using Propspeed or similar, hard a/f over a primer (if needed)is the standard here. Did you do the rudders too,or are they in ablative?
With any luck you should be able to clean up/sand the hard a/f and just recoat when the time comes.
I was using propspeed but the entry to our marina area can be shallow at low tide,the yard recommended going back to hard.

Yes, I did the rudders also. Used the same paint on the shafts as was used on the props and rudders. Sure, there are bare metal spots on all of the metal but I don't believe (didn't count them) there could be more than 2-3 barnacles that I could see. My first year with the boat was encrusted with barnacles that added 2 inches to the shaft diameters. Just getting them off was a PITA.

I used the Rustoleum Spray Galvanizing/Zinc coating 2 years ago (bout $11 on Amazon) after reading about it here. 2 years later my underwater hardware was amazingly clean. My Bottom guy was very impressed, having just become a propspeed dealer....He's re-considering what he will recommend. Maybe 1/2 dozen barnacles on the prop in 2 years while my Bow thruster aperture was completely blocked by barnacles... So, impressed, I did it again at my spring Haul-out including the thruster this time. I think Petit now offers this in a re-branded can. No need to pay the premium...Just buy the Rustoleum branded spray...

Last edited:
Similar to mine...

13 months total.

7 months cruising

4 months sitting without moving but a quick scrape diving with a putty knife.

1 more month sitting.

Cold zinc priner, Interlux FG Bottomkote NT ablative

For the OP, just so I'm clear, the Rustoleum used was just regular, over the counter stuff, not a special blend with zinc or other special additives? I've tried the marine zinc spray for several years with disappointing results - usually have to dive and scrape by August. Hauled yesterday with the prop a mess - again.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom