Old 05-03-2014, 06:03 PM   #81
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
"Why have a sailboat to do trawlering?" The wind is free. Sailboats are environmentally friendly. Motor boats are smelly. Any number of inane reasons. Snobbery perhaps?
Sailboats are smelly too if they're motoring and price of wind becomes irrelevant.

BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:20 PM   #82
Veteran Member

City: Bayfield, WI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Can't speak for anyone but myself, but when we were cruisers on the sailboat, and wanted to go north (Keys to Chesapeake) or south (Chesapeake to Keys) we would carefully lay out what we were going to do, have all the anchorages chosen beforehand, and then figure roughly 50 miles a day. Always wanted to get anchored before sundown and enjoy the sunset with a glass of wine.

You can't usually do that if you sail outside, generally speaking. Wind may not be right, entrances to the ICW from the Atlantic may not be right, weather in general may not be right. Inside the ICW is dependable, even if it is boring sometimes. And sailing in the ICW itself is usually not a good idea, other than perhaps when crossing sounds.
We have made the same trip several times and couldn't agree more. Offshore sailing is for passage making. We have gone direct from Norfolk to Charleston with what we thought was a good weather window. Surprise! Wasn't planning on that. We try to avoid bad weather whenever possible. The difference, is that if caught out in it, we know how to handle it. I'm guessing we have experienced some weather that our power boat friends would really not like to be caught in.
When we finally find our trawler and join the ranks, we will certainly not look down our noses at sailors because we have been one of them for over 60 years.

Barpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #83
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. B. "...some weather that our power boat friends would really not like to be caught in." You are 100% correct! A sailboat IS the vessel for passage making and making way in sea conditions that would make a lot of power boats quite uncomfortable. Horses for courses.
Other than restrictive water routes other reasons I've heard for sailboats motoring are: The wind's too weak. The wind's too strong. The wind's from the wrong direction. Sailors or sailboat owners?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:26 PM   #84
Veteran Member

City: Morehead City, NC
Vessel Name: Grande Jete`
Vessel Model: 1990 Grand Banks 46 Classic
As we are now traveling back to NC from Keys, we have figured out how to handle the rude and crazy boaters on the Florida ICW discussed in detail above. We just dock and stay tied up on Saturdays and Sundays. Gives us a chance to rest, do boat chores, and explore different places. So far, it works for us.
Seaisleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barpilot View Post
When we finally find our trawler and join the ranks, we will certainly not look down our noses at sailors because we have been one of them for over 60 years.
Personally, I think that trawler owners who look down their noses at sailors, or sailors who look down their noses at trawler owners (powerboats in general, actually) are both just showing immaturity and a lack of understanding. I had a blue water sailboat for twenty years. Now I have a trawler. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For blue water, I would choose a sailboat. For what I do now, which is relaxing and enjoying my old age, I choose a trawler. And there is room for both on the water.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #86
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Personally, I think that trawler owners who look down their noses at sailors, or sailors who look down their noses at trawler owners (powerboats in general, actually) are both just showing immaturity and a lack of understanding. I had a blue water sailboat for twenty years. Now I have a trawler. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. For blue water, I would choose a sailboat. For what I do now, which is relaxing and enjoying my old age, I choose a trawler. And there is room for both on the water.
Totally agree. Our reason for no sailboat is that we're too lazy. While power and sail boaters joke with each other in good nature sometimes, I do see more sail boaters who truly do look down on power boaters as if we're committing sacrilege. Still, most don't. Of course the sail boaters I knew on the lake would look down on most sail boaters we see at the coast as many of them think the idea of ever using a motor is horrible. Mostly small catamarans. I honestly don't know any power boaters who truly look down on sail boaters although I'm sure there are some. Most of us love seeing them sail by.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:45 PM   #87
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
"go to places were the pace is slower and magically courtesy is back."

You are right, Mike. I cannot remember the last time I came across an inconsiderate boater.

But, to put it in perspective, I often don't come across any boaters once I leave the marina.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:04 AM   #88
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
"go to places were the pace is slower and magically courtesy is back."

You are right, Mike. I cannot remember the last time I came across an inconsiderate boater.

But, to put it in perspective, I often don't come across any boaters once I leave the marina.
Folks, can I draw your attention to the above post from AusCan, as it beautifully illustrates the point included in the Orientation 102 posted as a sticky in Welcome Mat, covering posting etiquette/practises.

When quoting someone's post, please give more consideration to just a quick copy & paste, suitably highlighted, (inverted commas, bold, italics - they all work), so your point in reply clearly follows.

Or, better still - use the quote button by all means, which places it in a box and names the person quoted clearly, but delete those parts not specifically related to the point you wish to make. It does get a bit 'wordy' when verbatim posts are continually being quoted, especially if they are long ones…helps everyone to be a bit economical. The issue has been drawn to the attention of the mods recently, hence the sticky, but I think it probably does not hurt to just pop in the odd reminder once in a while on a thread, (how often do you read the stickies?), as people forget sometimes. I'm sure no-one will mind….

Thanks all, now…back to normal transmission….

PS - putting this on this thread was totally coincidental, and had nothing to do with the thread title…but in retrospect it might have looked that way...
Oh, yeah…and please go easy on those emoticons...
Old 05-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #89

City: Houston
I went out Easter weekend. Boy was that a mistake. Turned around after an hour. Safer at the dock.
Piratesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:56 AM   #90

City: St. Petersburg, Florida
Vessel Name: M/V Sherpa
Vessel Model: 24' Vashon Diesel Cruiser
Unfortunately, boating on the weekdays is not readily possible for those of us who are not retired; however, weekdays are a joy for boating when I can take the occasional day off--what a difference! It is impossible now a days to take a full week or two off for vacation, so my wife and I make several long weekends by taking several Thursdays and Fridays off during the summer.

Amazing how the workplace has changed in the past decade or two. Americans are now too busy to take vacations (if they even have vacation time to begin with). I remember my mother and father (both successful white collar professionals) always took two full weeks off during the summer--impossible for most us in today's workplace.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:47 PM   #91

City: Florida USA and Ontario Canada
Vessel Name: anytime
Vessel Model: 2007 Chaparral 270 Signature LOA 29'
Surly things are changing, and not for the better ... wait till millennials take over completely from baby boomers ...

On the other hand, it's called progress ... faster, better?, cheaper, etc. On the road, and on the water ... more traffic, faster and nimbler vehicles and vessels, people rushing and trying to get the most out their day off work, blah, blah, blah. Slow going trawlers with relaxed and/or retired crew are not the mainstream anymore. This is the new normal ... generational thing perhaps that was always present.

On the other hand, this topic of not so slow pass, and wake, and nasty radio com pops up frequently on TF. There was one month ago or so ... interestingly enough, the context for most stories is ICW.

Ah! ICW ... maybe we should rename it to GW ... like in grumpy waterway that is somehow similar to close-knit residential road with kids playing on the street, and any car going faster than 20 MPH (equivalent of 7 knots) is frown upon.

I have not been on ICW outside of NY/NJ area, have no idea about what is happening further south, and to be honest I am getting the feeling I will not like it.

I boat on Saint Lawrence Seaway most of the time. It's a busy commercial waterway on US/Canada border with plenty of commercial freight and cruise ships, pleasure boats and sailboats, and official (USCG, CCG, CBP, CBSA, DHS, RCMP, etc) traffic. The waterway narrows down to a few hundred feet in some places, with rocky bottom and shores all the way while still maintaining two separate lanes for commercial traffic.

There is simply no place and time for slow pass in many situations. Move quickly and move out of the way is the modus operandi here. Same in and around the NY/NJ harbors.

Just a sampler of "slow pass" on SLS, an animated QT (.mov) clip made of the still photos made when approaching and passing a north amrican laker. I was going at trawler speed of around 6 knots. Hope the link works ... http://proinet.com/pics/SLSslowpass.mov
Old 05-04-2014, 04:07 PM   #92
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard W View Post

I have not been on ICW outside of NY/NJ area, have no idea about what is happening further south, and to be honest I am getting the feeling I will not like it.
I think perhaps then you're being given a bit distorted view of the ICW south. Yes, it is heavily traveled at times and there is some shoaling in places. Also traffic picks up around larger cities on summer weekends and holidays.

But it's got some beautiful views, different looks in every state. Also, incredible stops all along the way, places and areas to see and enjoy. For a slow leisurely time and no pressing schedule, it's still extremely enjoyable to many.

We personally do our long travels mostly outside, but we also periodically join those inside to explore and see new areas. You can have some great experiences cruising the ICW. And don't let the few inconsiderate boaters dissuade you. And for the boat that passes causing a wake, we simply ride through it. I haven't seen any wakes that all the trawlers here can't handle. Just part of it all.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:06 PM   #93

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Here in North East Florida I have found rudeness from all types of boaters, both power and sail. On a trip to Ft. Pierce a couple of years ago, I was flipped off and yelled at on 5 separate occasions. I remember this because each time I was at 8kts or less and all concerned were from MD or north? My parents were on board (they boat on the Chesapeake) and my father and I laughed each time, I smiled and waved. Having had smaller boats and having been waked countless times on them by larger boats I try to be extremely courteous but you cannot please all, all the time. There are some extremely narrow portions on the ICW here.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:36 PM   #94
Guru

City: Juno Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Takes Two
Vessel Model: Defever 49 RPH
Too true but there is hope, we have just travelled the past 5 days up the ICW from Brunswick GA to where we are tonight anchored about 15 miles south of Georgetown SC.

This area is very skinny especially with a 5'6" draft but I must say that with all the boats we passed going the other way and all the boats that passed us everyone was especially nice except for a few knuckleheads.

Even had a large fishing trawler Captain and a tug and barge captain be super nice on two occasions today in real skinny water.

That said I am rethinking my original position in opposing mandatory boat operators licenses.

Here is our anchorage tonight it makes the day so worth it.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1399343780.366589.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	29689
gwkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:44 AM   #95
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
My parents were on board (they boat on the Chesapeake) and my father and I laughed each time, I smiled and waved.
Did you wave with your whole hand?
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #96
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Up here in the PNW on the Columbia our problem is with the fisherman and their overpowered fishing boats. I was docked up in a no wake zone and about every hour or so this guy would come up to the dock full speed and on step about ten feet from mine and other boats just to let his dog go ashore. I asked why? He said because I can laughing

OK. I called the Sheriff they promptly came out and hid behind some trees and the next time he did it, he got boarded, inspected then handed a $200 ticket! He complained the "Yachts" should be allowed on the river during fishing season.

As he went by, I waved and said, because I can too!!!!!

Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/
Alaskan Sea-Duction is online now   Reply With Quote