Inboard diesel vs outboard gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Never Too Late:

Now that we have opined on most sides of your question, do you have two specific boats, one with a 200 hp O/B and one with a 200 hp diesel inboard that you are considering?

The closest I can think of is the Ranger Tug 23 that is offered with a 200 hp outboard or a 170 hp diesel I/O, although I doubt if they sell many of the latter.

Also you say you would like to cruise to Key West and New York, presumably from your base in what, NC? That is roughly 1,500 miles round trip to NYC and close to 2,000 to Key West from Wilmington, NC. Those will be significant trips for a 23' Ranger Tug, doable but tough.

So maybe you are thinking about something bigger, but I can't figure out what. Could you enlighten us?

David

Yup, the OP needs to state the boat and it's intended use. The 23' Ranger Tug is simple, put it on a boat trailer and tow it.

In the PNW many Ranger Tugs have a diesel inboard with a factory installed OB mounted for trolling or get home capability. The best of both worlds it would seem for cruisers.

The neatest rigs I've seen though are either an aluminum Sea Wolf or Kingfisher in the 32' range with a pair of 300 OBs and a trolling motor. The demand for these vessels is huge by the sport fishing crowd. Especially when traveling long distances. Many of the owners I've talked to would never go back to diesel given the utter simplicity of the big outboards and ability to tilt them out of the water when parked.

Attachments

• rr.jpg
    rr.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 42
Thanks to all for your comments. I started out convinced that I wanted a 30-35 foot trawler with a diesel, but it seems people who own boats in that category spend a lot of time on maintenance, and I'm an older guy; I don't have a lot of time. Or mechanical knowledge. So I started thinking that maybe I should be considering something on the order of a Rosborough or C-Dory. Now I don't know what to think.

Some of the new outboards have a great reputation for low maintenance, better fuel economy and more power, but even compared to a 15 yr old diesel the diesel stacks up pretty good. Now a new diesel, I'd take anytime of a gas anything.

FWIW, my maintenance for 370 yanmar in my trawler operates for less than 25% of the cost of my Sundance with a pair of 4.3 Merc outboards, and they are pretty bullet proof little engines. The trawler takes WAY LESS time and while the parts are more expensive, they are still less as they are not changed as much. Just an observation.... and referring only to routine maintenance. As for major maintenance, have had none with the diesel and a handful of costly ones with the Mercs over the years.

For a trawler, I'd be hard pressed to be talked into outboards, unless perhaps they are diesel... but that's still a ways down the road.

However, one big advantage of the outboards is shallow draft, which can be a huge plus. As a counter point, I'd love to have a diesel IO to push my trawler. I know, a bit more maintenance, but a TON more flexibility and probably more efficient.

The Cutwater C-302 Coupe is a 30' cruiser with twin O/Bs. It gets pretty much the same MPG whether it is going at 20MPH or 50.

C-302 Coupe

Seevee wrote;
“For a trawler, I'd be hard pressed to be talked into outboards, unless perhaps they are diesel... but that's still a ways down the road.”

No problem as there’s no such thing as an OB trawler.

David, two boats I am considering are the Camano 31 and the Rosborough 246.

OK, those are two very different boats, but yes one has an outboard and one has an inboard diesel.

Irrespective of maintenance requirements, fuel efficiency, fuel safety, and cost, I believe that the Camano would be a much better choice for your mission.

I could live aboard a Camano for a 1,000 mile trip and enjoy it. I wouldn't enjoy doing 1,000 miles in a Rosborough.

David

I'm with David on this one...

The hardest problem with an I-O or an outboard for a larger boat would be in having a large enough prop , geared properly.

For a 30fter is would not be a big deal, but larger , there would be some efficiency losses .2 smaller engines might work.

My own objection to either is the inability to have the boats transom drop like on a pickup truck. Something I would build into a "next" boat.

I would enjoy sitting in a large covered cockpit a few inches above the water with the transom folded down .

The cockpit could also be shaped to hold a rubber dink , hard to steal, EZ to dock with , and perhaps a built in get home engine.

The hardest problem with an I-O or an outboard for a larger boat would be in having a large enough prop , geared properly.

For a 30fter is would not be a big deal, but larger , there would be some efficiency losses .2 smaller engines might work.

My own objection to either is the inability to have the boats transom drop like on a pickup truck. Something I would build into a "next" boat.

I would enjoy sitting in a large covered cockpit a few inches above the water with the transom folded down .

The cockpit could also be shaped to hold a rubber dink , hard to steal, EZ to dock with , and perhaps a built in get home engine.

Perhaps related - I have towed a number of larger boats with RIBS that had outboards. As one example only we towed a 45' Cruisers for over 10 miles with a twin engine RIB and had no problem holding 6-7 knots with the existing props ...which were selected for speed and not towing.
I am sure the props could be changed to account for the intended use and be better matched for the task.

David, two boats I am considering are the Camano 31 and the Rosborough 246.

Both great boats. Pick the one that has the best combination of "makes your heart sing" and performance for your mission. The modes of propulsion on both boats are proven.

That said, be sure you have access to service and parts for any motor you buy (in a boat).

Best Wishes

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned in favor of the outboard - the E-tec G2.

• Three-Year Limited Warranty
No Scheduled Dealer Maintenance for
Three Years of Normal Recreational Use

• No Operational Break-In Procedure
• Easy Starts (no choking or priming)
• Digital Engine Management
• Self Flushing Cooling System
• Long Term Storage Design
• Simplified Winterization Procedure
• Digital Diagnostics
• Low Oil Usage
and of course with the 2 stroke at 100:1 oil ratio - there are never any oil changes and no 2 stroke exhaust odor.

Here's something that hasn't been mentioned in favor of the outboard - the E-tec G2.

• Three-Year Limited Warranty
No Scheduled Dealer Maintenance for
Three Years of Normal Recreational Use

• No Operational Break-In Procedure
• Easy Starts (no choking or priming)
• Digital Engine Management
• Self Flushing Cooling System
• Long Term Storage Design
• Simplified Winterization Procedure
• Digital Diagnostics
• Low Oil Usage
and of course with the 2 stroke at 100:1 oil ratio - there are never any oil changes and no 2 stroke exhaust odor.

I wonder what they consider to be recreational use and what number of hours they expect for that.

Other than the "No Operational Break-In Procedure" and the warranty you can say the same thing about my Honda BF90D. The break in for my motor is basically only 2 hours. After that it just says don't run it a WOT for more than 5 minutes at a time for the next 8 hours. My warranty was 5 years. I got the ECU replaced at 4.9 years under the warranty.

I’d much prefer gas outboards.
I love outboards.

I’m surprised to hear you say that anyways if it were me single diesel engine is the only way to go especially if we’re doing the loop but that’s just me I don’t understand the issue about changing the oil on an inboard you could change oil an inboard while it’s running if you really wanted to just set it up for remote oil filter anyways this is been been debated at least 1 million times for me the smallest single diesel you can put it in a boat and make it go hull speed is the only way to go hands-down

Too bad diesel OB are three times a gas OB. There may be more interest when re powering even Trawlers.

I’m surprised to hear you say that anyways if it were me single diesel engine is the only way to go especially if we’re doing the loop but that’s just me I don’t understand the issue about changing the oil on an inboard you could change oil an inboard while it’s running if you really wanted to just set it up for remote oil filter anyways this is been been debated at least 1 million times for me the smallest single diesel you can put it in a boat and make it go hull speed is the only way to go hands-down

Gas engines would be a viable alternative for some trawlers if they had a lower gear ratio and room for a suitable propeller re dia. and blade area.

But single engine has nothing to do w it. Some people think going out w/o a back up puts hair on one’s chest. Could actually be so.

But any difference in the ability for a twin or single to push a trawler will be fly stuff. Worse ... even non-existant.

You like the expression “There’s no only way to go” ... there’s always options.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom