Impression of Southern California marinas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We decided to leave the Eagle in the Puget Sound area as you can not beat the summer and the boating. Also we have family and friends. So we decided to take the motor home and investigate southern areas for the winter.

We spent two month in south California which for us is to crowded so we head for the Texas gulf coast and discovered South Padre Island at the southern tip of Texas. We are flying back to the boat this weekend as my wife's mother is not doing well. When we fly back we will continue around the gulf and up the east coast.

We might just buy a bigger motor home and two a small boat. Anyway southern California is nice but TOO:socool:

We decided to leave the Eagle in the Puget Sound area as you can not beat the summer and the boating. Also we have family and friends. So we decided to take the motor home and investigate southern areas for the winter.

We spent two month in south California which for us is to crowded so we head for the Texas gulf coast and discovered South Padre Island at the southern tip of Texas. We are flying back to the boat this weekend as my wife's mother is not doing well. When we fly back we will continue around the gulf and up the east coast.

We might just buy a bigger motor home and two a small boat. Anyway southern California is nice but TOO:socool:

We're carefully considering the motorhome snowbird route. It is actually the easiest of our choices. Moving is a PITA and we live right on a lake, with a dock in our yard. Its hard to beat our summers in Alaska.

Leave the boat and the house in Alaska, pack up the motorhome before the snow flies, and come back when the snow is melted. Thats what my neighbor did for years and seemed to love it.

Its funny, but my wife is more inclined to travel via motorhome than cruise via boat. Her kinda valid argument is that its easier to stop and potty the dogs, and its easier to cover more distance.

She also said that with a boat, when a storm is coming you hunker down and stay wher you are. With a motorhome you boogie elsewhere.

I agree! If you look for perfection, you'll never find it. (except in Maui :) )

My trip to socal was two fold. I had two questions to answer...

1. Would I like to park my boat there and go visit it during the winter months? The answer to that is probably not.

2. Would I like to explore the area more, as a cruising destination?
The answer to that is probably yes, but the idea woulld be to keep on the move, and pick smaller places along the way

Maui is beautiful but you don't have any boating choices other than the Pacific Ocean....lol

Now your findings make sense based on what you've said earlier. Here's an idea. No permanent spot for your boat. Maybe some long temporary. There is so much to see. Maybe a season in the PNW, then one back on the Columbia River, then one in the bay area and Delta. Next a visit to LA and maybe complete a season in San Diego. Perhaps the next season a few months in Mexico and returning it to San Diego. Then start back up the coast or get adventurous the next year and decide the Panama Canal is calling.

We generally spend six weeks (two months for Alaska) at a time on the boat but often don't fly home from the same city we flew out to. Essentially you could have a winter home in a different location each year until perhaps one grabs you and says to stay. So, not have to select a spot. Just select one for the next season.

We enjoyed California immensely, but honestly we've not been anywhere there that would have grabbed us and said "don't leave." The PNW could have as it simply has more variety. Hawaii spoiled you, South Florida spoils us. Catalina was wonderful and I still can't believe I did a zip line. But it's one island. We have the Bahamas where you never run out of new islands to explore.

None of this is intended as criticism of California. We will not jump on that band wagon. We enjoyed every minute and the people were wonderful. There was so much to see. Just it's different as a boating state. It's very different from Alaska and not just daylight and temperature. There are always more areas to go explore in Alaska. We could just never be happy living in that climate.

Good luck in your quest.

There are many great points here in all the postings. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Waikiki, Maui, San Francisco and here in LA. They all have great points and boating. I know off the coast here is only a few islands and two are under military control and one is not boater friendly so we always go to Catalina. I often thought about moving back to Florida it's just not practical for me at this point. I'd love to have the many cruising destinations in great seas you have there.

Ksanders, you have a great boat and are a very capable captain. I enjoy reading your posts and I know no matter where you choose I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Wishing you smooth seas and fair winds. :)

She also said that with a boat, when a storm is coming you hunker down and stay where you are. With a motor home you boogie elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Your wife speaks with great wisdom, Grasshopper!

... I know off the coast here is only a few islands and two are under military control and one is not boater friendly so we always go to Catalina. ...

Reminds me of a San Clemente Island story...

We were conducting a flight inspection of the Navy's radar and navigation systems on San Clemente Island a few years ago. My copilot was a former Army Warrant Officer and was approaching retirement. One of his unchecked bucket list items was to spend the night on San Clemente Island.

I was coordinating our mission with the island's Air Traffic Control Chief and casually explained my buddy's request and asked if they had accommodations for the crew for an overnight stay. They were just completing the rehab a couple of old houses on the shoreline for family visits and they had not yet been occupied. The ATC Chief was spearheading the operation and in charge of making arrangements. They were available for our trip and I reserved them and a car for our use one night. It made for an interesting evening on an island inhabited by 300 Navy personnel and 3 FAA crewmembers. The houses were fantastic with a million dollar view to enjoy on the island's west shore, just north of their port.

One story they relayed to us at the NCO club was about a former LA Clippers center, Chris Kaman, who loved to fish on his boat. He made an offer to the Navy to take out any Navy personnel for the day of fishing a couple of times a year as a way to say thanks for their service. He'd provide all the food, beer and bait for the day of fishing along the San Clemente Island's shoreline. He'd take 5-8 Seamen each time and they always were treated like royalty.

In return for his kind gesture, the base commander offered him the opportunity to fish the waters on his own during idle times at the island when there were no shelling or targeting runs. He'd just call and ask and they'd let him in the waters if they could accommodate his request. He had some of the area's best fishing waters to himself!

San Nicholas Island is another Navy island that probably has some fantastic fishing. But I've been there to refuel and can attest that it's not a place you'd want to spend a night on land. They have very limited and very basic accommodations for those stationed there and nothing for guests....except the brig.

Kevin,

I suspect that figuring out where and how you and your wife wish to travel and live will be more than half the fun of finally choosing a destination! Have fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom