Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
On the whole though I do get a very nice feeling from the people and the environment of San Diego. And the zoo definitely wins me over.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:03 AM   #22

City: Edmonds
Hi Kevin,

When you're up here checking out Anacortes and Sequim, ask about the "rain shadow" or banana belt. Some o the area is sunny nearly year-round due to the mountains clearing out the rain. Not warm, but sunny! If you swing by Edmonds, let me know. We will show you around and you are welcome to stay with us for a couple of nights.

Up here, as you probably know, the cruising is wonderful. We enjoy using the boat in the winter months, too.

Rob

Robster_in_edmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #23
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
You might also like Port Townsend. City of Port Townsend, WA

It doesn't get more boaty than that. We are thinking of retiring there.

http://enjoypt.com/
Old 01-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
[QUOTE
The good thing is I have a pretty understanding wife who understands my need to explore, and even though she doesn't want to spend half the year aboard, actually looks forward to boating season.[/QUOTE]

I've been reading this thread with a great deal of interest since I went through this process 20 years ago. For me it was the weather. One only has so many recreational hours available to them in a lifetime which was the reason for moving to San Diego. You can plan an outdoor activity down here three months in advance and be assured that it is going to be a nice day. Your utilization of those recreational hours (in great weather) is certainly magnified in a warmer (not hot) climate.

Kevin's need for exploring new places really doesn't fit here, however. The fishing, food, attractions, etc are all fun. You can cruise San Diego Bay when it's rough outside but exploring new destinations by boat, not so much. Yes, you can head down to the Sea of Cortez but you better have a couple months for the cruise as it can't be done in a weekend.

Coming from Alaska, I think the PNW is an ideal spot for a serious cruiser.
As far as the wife's penchant for exercising....no contest....it's in San Diego!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Thanks guys

It's actually the rain shadow that we are exploring.

Sequim, Port Townsend, Port Angeles, Coupville, Oak Harbor, Anacortes.

I spent a week on my boat in Anacortes a few years ago and loved it. Now its time to introduce the wife to the area. I also moved to Alaska from the Portland area but that was decades ago. The wife has only lived in Alaska her whole life.

One of the big things for us is that the area has to have a rural feel to it, with shopping near enough to not make it difficult to get to. Right now we have a 45 minute drive to the box stores, and large grocery store, so thats where we are starting from.

So, thats our exploring. First step is see if you fall in love with an area. If not, pick another area and visit it.

The California Delta ia another place I want to visit.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
San Diego would be heaven on earth if only it weren't for the crowds, crime, high taxes, border issues, bad government, no rain, high real estate prices, high gas and fuel prices, traffic jams and proximity to LA.

That said, can't wait to get back.
Absolutely true & funny!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:51 AM   #27
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

One of the big things for us is that the area has to have a rural feel to it, with shopping near enough to not make it difficult to get to. Right now we have a 45 minute drive to the box stores, and large grocery store, so thats where we are starting from.
Wifey B: Apalachicola....lol

Ok, I'm not sure how a rural feel feels. Or how a rural feel would feel if a rural feel could feel. I've never lived 45 minutes from a large grocery....can't imagine living in such a desolate state of despair. Maybe you left the decimal out and meant 4.5? hehe

Seriously, if rural feel is what you're after I don't see it coming from San Diego. Maybe the Cal Delta. Parts, but only parts of the PNW. Maybe Port Townsend. Port Angeles has it. But then I'm surely not the expert in rural feeling.

I'd say temperatures are a big and very personal issue. I mean like we go to the PNW and they're talking what warm nice days and we're talking about it being freaking cold. We enjoy but couldn't live there.

Although during the Fort Lauderdale Boat show if we time it end of day we're a pretty long time from stores. Las Olas gets slow.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #28
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I read the thread today thinking maybe the desire to be satisfied will keep you from finding your spot.

I certainly don't find fault with So Cal but if you don't feel you fit in, you won't. The life style here is many faceted and from a business standpoint I'd have to say SD is much more laid back than LA. I chose to live here because of the weather and boating and I could take advantage of a fast paced business lifestyle and cruise to Catalina for R&R. It worked great for me.

The Yacht Club type boaters are everywhere but mostly in MDR and Newport Beach. I choose to ignore them.

I don't mean to sound terse or demeaning. I just think a deep breath would work. I do hope you find your spot and I would invite you to a cocktail and a cigar if so inclined.

Cheers!!
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:13 PM   #29
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Well I see some points here. California is a wonderful place BUT ... there's little water other than the ocean. I have no desire to boat in the ocean and in the PNW one has to go looking for it to even find it. I think if I was in So Cal I'd sell my boats and adopt the highway and wheeled vehicles. But then I'd be back to "brown".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
I read the thread today thinking maybe the desire to be satisfied will keep you from finding your spot.

Cheers!!
I agree! If you look for perfection, you'll never find it. (except in Maui )

My trip to socal was two fold. I had two questions to answer...

1. Would I like to park my boat there and go visit it during the winter months? The answer to that is probably not.

2. Would I like to explore the area more, as a cruising destination?
The answer to that is probably yes, but the idea woulld be to keep on the move, and pick smaller places along the way
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 01-08-2015, 12:47 PM   #31
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
We decided to leave the Eagle in the Puget Sound area as you can not beat the summer and the boating. Also we have family and friends. So we decided to take the motor home and investigate southern areas for the winter.

We spent two month in south California which for us is to crowded so we head for the Texas gulf coast and discovered South Padre Island at the southern tip of Texas. We are flying back to the boat this weekend as my wife's mother is not doing well. When we fly back we will continue around the gulf and up the east coast.

We might just buy a bigger motor home and two a small boat. Anyway southern California is nice but TOO
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:23 PM   #32
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
We decided to leave the Eagle in the Puget Sound area as you can not beat the summer and the boating. Also we have family and friends. So we decided to take the motor home and investigate southern areas for the winter.

We spent two month in south California which for us is to crowded so we head for the Texas gulf coast and discovered South Padre Island at the southern tip of Texas. We are flying back to the boat this weekend as my wife's mother is not doing well. When we fly back we will continue around the gulf and up the east coast.

We might just buy a bigger motor home and two a small boat. Anyway southern California is nice but TOO
We're carefully considering the motorhome snowbird route. It is actually the easiest of our choices. Moving is a PITA and we live right on a lake, with a dock in our yard. Its hard to beat our summers in Alaska.

Leave the boat and the house in Alaska, pack up the motorhome before the snow flies, and come back when the snow is melted. Thats what my neighbor did for years and seemed to love it.

Its funny, but my wife is more inclined to travel via motorhome than cruise via boat. Her kinda valid argument is that its easier to stop and potty the dogs, and its easier to cover more distance.

She also said that with a boat, when a storm is coming you hunker down and stay wher you are. With a motorhome you boogie elsewhere.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 01-08-2015, 03:41 PM   #33
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
I agree! If you look for perfection, you'll never find it. (except in Maui )

My trip to socal was two fold. I had two questions to answer...

1. Would I like to park my boat there and go visit it during the winter months? The answer to that is probably not.

2. Would I like to explore the area more, as a cruising destination?
The answer to that is probably yes, but the idea woulld be to keep on the move, and pick smaller places along the way
Maui is beautiful but you don't have any boating choices other than the Pacific Ocean....lol

Now your findings make sense based on what you've said earlier. Here's an idea. No permanent spot for your boat. Maybe some long temporary. There is so much to see. Maybe a season in the PNW, then one back on the Columbia River, then one in the bay area and Delta. Next a visit to LA and maybe complete a season in San Diego. Perhaps the next season a few months in Mexico and returning it to San Diego. Then start back up the coast or get adventurous the next year and decide the Panama Canal is calling.

We generally spend six weeks (two months for Alaska) at a time on the boat but often don't fly home from the same city we flew out to. Essentially you could have a winter home in a different location each year until perhaps one grabs you and says to stay. So, not have to select a spot. Just select one for the next season.

We enjoyed California immensely, but honestly we've not been anywhere there that would have grabbed us and said "don't leave." The PNW could have as it simply has more variety. Hawaii spoiled you, South Florida spoils us. Catalina was wonderful and I still can't believe I did a zip line. But it's one island. We have the Bahamas where you never run out of new islands to explore.

None of this is intended as criticism of California. We will not jump on that band wagon. We enjoyed every minute and the people were wonderful. There was so much to see. Just it's different as a boating state. It's very different from Alaska and not just daylight and temperature. There are always more areas to go explore in Alaska. We could just never be happy living in that climate.

Good luck in your quest.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:14 AM   #34
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
There are many great points here in all the postings. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale, Waikiki, Maui, San Francisco and here in LA. They all have great points and boating. I know off the coast here is only a few islands and two are under military control and one is not boater friendly so we always go to Catalina. I often thought about moving back to Florida it's just not practical for me at this point. I'd love to have the many cruising destinations in great seas you have there.

Ksanders, you have a great boat and are a very capable captain. I enjoy reading your posts and I know no matter where you choose I'll be looking forward to reading about your adventures.

Wishing you smooth seas and fair winds.
Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 11:21 AM   #35
Guru

She also said that with a boat, when a storm is coming you hunker down and stay where you are. With a motor home you boogie elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Your wife speaks with great wisdom, Grasshopper!

Old 01-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #36
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthead View Post
... I know off the coast here is only a few islands and two are under military control and one is not boater friendly so we always go to Catalina. ...
Reminds me of a San Clemente Island story...

We were conducting a flight inspection of the Navy's radar and navigation systems on San Clemente Island a few years ago. My copilot was a former Army Warrant Officer and was approaching retirement. One of his unchecked bucket list items was to spend the night on San Clemente Island.

I was coordinating our mission with the island's Air Traffic Control Chief and casually explained my buddy's request and asked if they had accommodations for the crew for an overnight stay. They were just completing the rehab a couple of old houses on the shoreline for family visits and they had not yet been occupied. The ATC Chief was spearheading the operation and in charge of making arrangements. They were available for our trip and I reserved them and a car for our use one night. It made for an interesting evening on an island inhabited by 300 Navy personnel and 3 FAA crewmembers. The houses were fantastic with a million dollar view to enjoy on the island's west shore, just north of their port.

One story they relayed to us at the NCO club was about a former LA Clippers center, Chris Kaman, who loved to fish on his boat. He made an offer to the Navy to take out any Navy personnel for the day of fishing a couple of times a year as a way to say thanks for their service. He'd provide all the food, beer and bait for the day of fishing along the San Clemente Island's shoreline. He'd take 5-8 Seamen each time and they always were treated like royalty.

In return for his kind gesture, the base commander offered him the opportunity to fish the waters on his own during idle times at the island when there were no shelling or targeting runs. He'd just call and ask and they'd let him in the waters if they could accommodate his request. He had some of the area's best fishing waters to himself!

San Nicholas Island is another Navy island that probably has some fantastic fishing. But I've been there to refuel and can attest that it's not a place you'd want to spend a night on land. They have very limited and very basic accommodations for those stationed there and nothing for guests....except the brig.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 12:45 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: Los Angeles
Vessel Name: Fire Escape
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3888
Kevin,

I suspect that figuring out where and how you and your wife wish to travel and live will be more than half the fun of finally choosing a destination! Have fun!
Jim Gandee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 10:51 AM   #38
Guru

Entertaining Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Reminds me of a San Clemente Island story...
Great story! IMO TF needs more of this.