Old 12-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Grand Vizier

Image stabilized binocular recommendations

My long suffering bride wants to buy us IS binoculars. The Canon 18x50 look great, but does anyone have experience with these or can recommend another?

Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have 14 power Nikons. Not sure if they are still sold or not, but we love them. Have a 7X50 pair of non stabilized that never get used since we both fight over the Nikon.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #3
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I have 14 power Nikons. Not sure if they are still sold or not, but we love them. Have a 7X50 pair of non stabilized that never get used since we both fight over the Nikon.
14x?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Poseidon
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk1
I recently purchased the Fujinon 12x32 TechnoStabi IS and have been very happy with them. Waterproof (most arenít) and the Fuijinon IS technology seems better for boats than the Cannon approach. They apparently adjust better for a moving platform vs a moving target. Cannon are considered better for bird watching etc.
RobertLeatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #5
Grand Vizier

Interesting. Are they very heavy?
Old 12-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not really. They have a battery pack on the strap which can be a little awkward but you get used to it. Iíd strongly recommend that you try any binoculars before buying online etc (especially if you wear glasses). Thereís a metric that determines how adjustable for glasses they are but forget the name of it.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLeatch View Post
Not really. They have a battery pack on the strap which can be a little awkward but you get used to it. Iíd strongly recommend that you try any binoculars before buying online etc (especially if you wear glasses). Thereís a metric that determines how adjustable for glasses they are but forget the name of it.
That is great advice.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #8
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
14x?
Not sure what they are, they are on the boat in the barn for the winter.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 06:58 PM   #9
Grand Vizier

Merci.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Some details here:

https://www.opticsreviewer.com/fujin...hno-stabi.html

I did also look at the 14 x 40 but they were a little too expensive for me at at the time.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:24 PM   #11
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Either the Canon or Fuginon are good binoculars. The Fuginon is larger and heavier than the Canon but it stablizes to 5 degrees and the Canon to about half that. I used to sell Canon. Wish I had bought a pair for myself.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:45 PM   #12
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Once you go stabilized, you'll never go back. You get magnification AND a stable image. We have two pairs of Fujinon, his and hers. They work very well, but always set them on their side, and somewhere where they won't fall. When they are dropped, they break. Don't ask how I know. Ask my wife. And if you drop them a second time, they will break again. She, again, can answer any questions. Now the dropping isn't Fujiu's fault, but their service is awful. Nobody answers the phone, and nobody returns calls. It was pure torture to get them repaired, then I got to do it again. Did I mention that my wife will answer questions? The third time I actually fixed them myself which is a miracle, since at least 50% of the time my attempted repairs end up with smoke and sometimes even flames. She can answer questions about that too, because for some strange reason she still married me after the first fire.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #13
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
I tried both of the following when they were on sale at B&H:

Fujinon 12x32 Techno-Stabi JR IS,
Canon IS Image Stabilized 8x25

Bought the Fujinon because the admiral likes them and have absolutely NO regrets. The price was right (on sale) and they are great. Should have bought two of them.

We've had no issues with them, but they are a tad battery hungry, but well worth it. Reviews indicate that service is fair, but so far, no problems. Had them for about a year and would buy them again.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:01 PM   #14
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Either the Canon or Fujinon are good binoculars. The Fuginon is larger and heavier than the Canon but it stablizes to 5 degrees and the Canon to about half that. I used to sell Canon. Wish I had bought a pair for myself.
Fujinon stabilize to 5 degrees and Canon less than one fifth that. About 0.8 deg. That is why Fujinon are generally conceded to be better for use on a boat.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #15

City: Olympia WA
Vessel Name: Waterford
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
We have and really like the Canon. The Fujinon may have some stabilization advantages as mentioned above, but the Canon is amazing, but not waterproof.
Waterford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
We have the Canon and so far, 9 years, so good. They have been dropped, used and probably abused without failing. We got them in a pawn shop near a commercial harbor (San Pedro) and I guess they were a couple of years old then.

I’ve been considering the Fujinon’s, but did not know they had an external battery. That could be a dealbreaker unless the performance was exceptional......
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:28 PM   #17

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
We have the Canon and so far, 9 years, so good. They have been dropped, used and probably abused without failing. We got them in a pawn shop near a commercial harbor (San Pedro) and I guess they were a couple of years old then.

Iíve been considering the Fujinonís, but did not know they had an external battery. That could be a dealbreaker unless the performance was exceptional......
Fujinon s new model superceding the 12X32 s eliminates the Batterys on the strap and are lighter cost $600 thru Amazon
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:47 PM   #18
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Fujinon stabilize to 5 degrees and Canon less than one fifth that. About 0.8 deg. That is why Fujinon are generally conceded to be better for use on a boat.
DDW, could you explain that? I don't think I understand the difference. Does it mean that you can jiggle to 5 degrees with the Fujinon but only . 8 degrees for the Canon?
Old 12-07-2018, 10:02 PM   #19

City: Lutz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
DDW, could you explain that? I don't think I understand the difference. Does it mean that you can jiggle to 5 degrees with the Fujinon but only . 8 degrees for the Canon?
Fujinon make 2 levels of Stabilized Binocs- the $1000 one (which is very heavy) does 5degrees, the $600 one does 3 degrees.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #20
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Once you go stabilized, you'll never go back. You get magnification AND a stable image. We have two pairs of Fujinon, his and hers. They work very well, but always set them on their side, and somewhere where they won't fall. When they are dropped, they break. Don't ask how I know. Ask my wife. And if you drop them a second time, they will break again. She, again, can answer any questions. Now the dropping isn't Fujiu's fault, but their service is awful. Nobody answers the phone, and nobody returns calls. It was pure torture to get them repaired, then I got to do it again. Did I mention that my wife will answer questions? The third time I actually fixed them myself which is a miracle, since at least 50% of the time my attempted repairs end up with smoke and sometimes even flames. She can answer questions about that too, because for some strange reason she still married me after the first fire.
So assuming one isn't married to Mrs. Butterfingers, are they robust enough for boat use?

Tags
binoculars