Image stabilized binocular recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reviving this 3-year old thread on binoculars. Hoping for specific recommendations of 7x50 vs something other. Definitely want image stabilization (consensus in this thread is Fujinon is tops).

Thoughts for a good value but higher-end set of IS binocular?

Thanks in advance -

Peter

Peter,

We bought a refurbished Fujinon 14-40 from Mike of Woodland Hills at a very attractive price. Both Diane and I love them. He had at least one other pair for sale. It may be worth a PM to find out. He was very easy to work with.

Rob

Reviving this 3-year old thread on binoculars. Hoping for specific recommendations of 7x50 vs something other. Definitely want image stabilization (consensus in this thread is Fujinon is tops). Specific models would be great if anyone has undergone a similar search lately - I realize these are not cheap. Unlike TwistedTree's tale of woe on the first page of this thread, hoping this is a one-time purchase.

Thanks in advance -

Peter

Hi Peter,

We bought the Fujinon on recommendation, but we find them too heavy and somewhat awkward to use. My recommendation would be to go to a shop and try both for feel and usability. On reflection, I suspect we'd go for the Canon...

Hi Peter,

We bought the Fujinon on recommendation, but we find them too heavy and somewhat awkward to use. My recommendation would be to go to a shop and try both for feel and usability. On reflection, I suspect we'd go for the Canon...

You may want to look at some of the birder forums on handling techniques for bins without fatigue. Here's a link to some tips: https://deanoptics.com/how-to-hold-binoculars-steady/
For what it is worth, the L series Canon 42mm is a nice pair of bins, waterproof, lightweight and they benefit from the fluorite lens and ultra-premium coatings that you won't find on the other IS Canons, they are not as robust as the Fujinons though...Provecho

To me binocs are like other tools.

One pair doesn't do everything.

Too heavy? For most marine things other than search and rescue, all I ever need is a few second glance.

For sightseeing or birding....sure much longer use and magnification may or may not be important.

So like asking about tools in general...specifics come in handy when narrowing down things. Also frequency of use, like tools, the cheap stuff may not be suitable for the full timer and the expensive overkill for the occasional user.

No change for us since our earlier report. Wifey still likes her lighter weight Fuji 12x28 Compacts, I still think the 14x40 is better optics at greater weight (but haven't bought one), and I still don't know ( haven't looked) if Canon models will stabilize above +/- 3 degrees. The market seems to have remained pretty stable...

-Chris

I keep both the Fujinon 14x40 and some lightweight Fujinon 7x50 within reach of the helm. For a routine look at something I grab the 7x50. For a close up or more detailed look the 14x40 are vastly superior. They are heavy and you have to turn them on so the 7x50 are still there, but I've found the 14x40 to be well worth the money.

T
So like asking about tools in general...specifics come in handy when narrowing down things. Also frequency of use, like tools, the cheap stuff may not be suitable for the full timer and the expensive overkill for the occasional user.

Binocular selection is one of the places where I simply don't know what I don't know - and I don't seem to find any traction when I Google various recommendations - classic case of 'lots of data, no information.'

Here's my use-case
1. Boating.
Pick--out ATONs, etc.
Names on vessels from a 0.5 -1.0 miles-off
Sightseeing
Watching drunks and human antics from a distance

2. Land-based
Non-pro bird-watching at home (weight is less of an issue)
Landscape viewing while traveling (van-camping is a favorite)
Watching drunks and human antics from a distance.

Would like a quality set that works reasonably well in reduced light conditions. We are both in our early 60s, Cheryll wears glasses for distance, I wear 150% readers but my distance eyesight is fine. We are willing to spend a couple grand if necessary for a decent set of binoculars. But we really only want to buy one set, and want to get the right set.

Thanks to all -

Peter

Last edited:
Reviving this 3-year old thread on binoculars. Hoping for specific recommendations of 7x50 vs something other. Definitely want image stabilization (consensus in this thread is Fujinon is tops). Specific models would be great if anyone has undergone a similar search lately - I realize these are not cheap. Unlike TwistedTree's tale of woe on the first page of this thread, hoping this is a one-time purchase.

Thanks in advance -

Peter

I have had the cannon image stabilized units for many years and they are rock solid. I really like that they use standard AA batteries.

Ours are 18X and we find that this higher magnification is very useful on the boat and is steady with the stabilizer on.

I have used most all of them and still use my Fujinon 7X50s at the helm while cruising. Sure they can't see what some stabilized or more powerful ones can....so what? Good enough for 50 years of boating...managed to get the job done with no casualties or incidents.

But I just bought a lighter pair for hiking and kayaking, and I like the 7X-15X set my step dad left me for astronomical viewing...but the 7X50 Fujinons win hands down for the helm.

All the stabilized and infra red and night vision stuff is great too...but you asked for ONE pair. I think that's like choosing chart plotter vs radar vs depth sounder....etc....

Last edited:
Binocular selection is one of the places where I simply don't know what I don't know - and I don't seem to find any traction when I Google various recommendations - classic case of 'lots of data, no information.'

Peter

How about renting and using a couple different binoculars to see what works for you instead of trying to figure it out in a store, reviews, etc?

I have used this company over the years to rent expensive camera lenses and they have binoculars.

https://www.lensrentals.com/search?q=binocular

Given the price of binoculars it might be worth the rental cost before buying.

Later,
Dan

How about renting and using a couple different binoculars to see what works for you instead of trying to figure it out in a store, reviews, etc?

I have used this company over the years to rent expensive camera lenses and they have binoculars.

https://www.lensrentals.com/search?q=binocular

Given the price of binoculars it might be worth the rental cost before buying.

Later,
Dan

Sounds like a great idea as long as rental costs are reasonable.

Sounds like a great idea as long as rental costs are reasonable.

It is a great idea - rental costs are around $50/week, so not bad. Only down-side is there are only three versions of binoculars available for rent.

Thanks

Peter

It is a great idea - rental costs are around $50/week, so not bad. Only down-side is there are only three versions of binoculars available for rent.

Thanks

Peter

There are other rental companies out there, that is just the one I have used in the past, so maybe other companies will have a different selection. Given what these optic's cost, the rental is cheap to give them a try first.

Later,
Dan

Very good info in this thread. I am thinking of the Fujinon 14 x 40 TS-X and like the 6° of stabilisation.

But the Fujinon 16 x 28 are a lot less money. They are lighter which is a plus, but have only 3° stabilisation. Has anyone tried them? Is 3° enough for boat use?

Very good info in this thread. I am thinking of the Fujinon 14 x 40 TS-X and like the 6° of stabilisation.

But the Fujinon 16 x 28 are a lot less money. They are lighter which is a plus, but have only 3° stabilisation. Has anyone tried them? Is 3° enough for boat use?
As with many things boating, you will often find opinions that are diametrically opposed. Some folks love IS optics, some hate them. I had a pair of 14-40 Fujinon Techno-Stabi. I hated them. Quick use and target acquisition were very difficult to me for two basic reasons. First, you have to grip them just so in order to access the control buttons to wake them up. Then, because of the limited field of view, target acquisition just takes too damn long ( not good in an emergency) and, because of the lower field of view, they do not give a wide picture of the situation. I found them to be of limited utility. I sold them for $50 more than I paid for them. Never missed having them for any situation.

16? Wifey uses the Fuji 12x28 compacts, says she likes them. Chosen specifically because they're lighter than the 14x40s.

The one thing I don't like about 'em is the eyepiece "width" adjustment mechanism... so I couldn't casually grab her binoc and use it. Still, once set, it's stays that way... and we don't have much need to share anyway.

-Chris

The difference in magnification (40x vs 28x) I think is much more significant than the stabilization degrees. I find 40x really valuable for seeing stuff, but I agree that target location can be a challenge. But 90% of the time I reach for the more powerful binoculars.

It is actually 14x vs 16x (the other number is the objective lens size), so the smaller ones have more magnification. (Quite sure you know this, just had a brain glitch?) However the smaller objective lens lets in less than half the light.

I would not have either as my only pair of binoculars, I have a Fujinon 7 x 50 plastic pair also close as hand (they are light). For the reasons mentioned I grab them for routine use. However in many instances, they simply cannot see what the Fujinons can see.

It is actually 14x vs 16x (the other number is the objective lens size), so the smaller ones have more magnification. (Quite sure you know this, just had a brain glitch?) However the smaller objective lens lets in less than half the light.

I would not have either as my only pair of binoculars, I have a Fujinon 7 x 50 plastic pair also close as hand (they are light). For the reasons mentioned I grab them for routine use. However in many instances, they simply cannot see what the Fujinons can see.

Ah, sorry. Thanks for correcting.

I ought to have mentioned that I already have some non stabilised bins, from memory Nikon 10x28. I don't mind the smallish objective diameter, amount of light has not been an issue but wobble often is an issue. There is also a pair of 7x50's onboard that I almost never pick up.

I appreciate comments above but was hoping for specific comments on the range of stabilisation. With 16x magnification I am nervous that 3° stabilisation may be marginal. But I would like to avoid the cost & weight of acquiring the 6° stabilisation that you get with the 14x40's.

We have some 20+ year old Nikons that still work great. I would not be too concerned about the degree of stabilization. Any you get will be so much better than non stabilized ones that you will love them. When my wife first used the Nikons she said she didn’t like them because they were too heavy. So she used the non stabilized 7x50s. Once I actually got her to try the Nikons she never used the 7x50s again. I would look for a quality manufacturer. Then get as large magnification you can get within reason as to the weight. Then enjoy…

We bought the Fujicon TSX-1440 before our trip up to Desolation Sound this summer from PDX. They worked very well, especially while transiting the coast watching for crab pots & whales. Used them every day for 2 months, still on the same set of Duracell AA batteries. I will take them out this winter per the other thread on Duracell.

Back
Top Bottom