Image stabilized binocular recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After our Steiners were stolen, we bought a pair of Canon 8x25IS. We enjoyed them so much, we now have his and hers units. I probably used mine for an hour today.

They were on the economical side of the Canon range. We would buy again. Once we are out cruising full-time, we will invest in something more.

We are in Cap Sante tonight...is your boat here?

We just returned after a few days out piddling around. Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Fujinons are best for moving platforms like boats....

We've had the Canon 12 x 36 IS since we started cruising in '08. We use them EVERY DAY. I like most that they're compact, no awkward battery pack with a wire that will break, they are a shape that's easy to use, not heavy, and about the right magnification to read boat names from a distance. The stabilizing is great, as others have noted, once you have it you'll always pick up the IS set.

My only complaint with the Canon is that the rubberized housing gets gooey and sticky. Have had them rebuilt once in the interim to the tune of 75% cost of new. Bad choice but it snowballed from the original estimate. Canon's service is very responsive, if expensive. The housing was replaced at rebuild, but it is again getting sticky and we've been careful to keep them in a case when not in use. So it's something that is going to happen in time. For that reason, I probably wouldn't repeat purchase, but I love using them if not for that one messy shortcoming.

Friends had the Nikon 14X with the external battery pack, they were terrible. OK optically, but like handling a brick on a string, and the power wire to the flopping battery pack was intermittent. I repaired it, but it's a lousy ergonomic design.

A number of reviews of the Canons mention the rubber going soft....

OK, what causes the rubberized coatings on devices to become sticky? I have encountered this on a variety of devices, and it's really annoying.

UV? Residual sun screen? Residual bug replant? Just plane crappy materials?

I wonder if Armorall would maker it better or worse?

OK, what causes the rubberized coatings on devices to become sticky? I have encountered this on a variety of devices, and it's really annoying.

Since I had the same problem with my long since replaced Canon unit as well as the air vents on my 1999 Ferrari. I did some research on this and it is apparently just rubber returning to its natural sticky state. Rubber is treated "vulcanized?" to become a solid and spends the rest of its life slowly returning to the sticky liquid state. This does not of course explain how some rubber products last for decades without becoming sticky. The answer must be that Canon and Ferrari are using a lower grade of product or an inferior vulcanization process - which is disappointing in several respects.

There was a Customs and Border Patrol go-fast boat with 4outboards next to our slip last night. They went out on patrol, but before they did I asked them what kind of binos they used and was told Fujinon. Evidently they hold up in that sort of environment: a wet open 35’ RIB with nearly 1600hp and long travel suspension seats. Apparently they Never Slow Down..........

Currently anchored outside of No Name Harbor and on the way down I took a closer look at my Canon’s: turns out I must have a different model than the one under discussion. Mine are marked 18x50 IS UD 3.7* All Weather so perhaps they have 3.7* of stabilization and are at least water resistant?

BTW, no degradation of the rubber armor yet.

Last edited:
I have the canon 10x30 and the 15x50, I just bought a pair of Fijinon 12x32 to replace the 10x30. The rubber on the 10x30 is just beginning to deteriorate. The lower power units are fine on the rivers, I bought the 15x50 pair for use on the Great Lakes. I haven’t used the Fujinon enough to rate between the 10x30 canons, I’ve had the canon for several years and would never go back to non-stabilized binoculars. I use mostly for reading the mileage on daymarks, channel markers and boat names. The fujinon are heavier but have excellent optics and if there isn’t any deterioration of the rubber coating I’ll give them the win.

I have the canon 10x30 and the 15x50, I just bought a pair of Fijinon 12x32 to replace the 10x30. The rubber on the 10x30 is just beginning to deteriorate. The lower power units are fine on the rivers, I bought the 15x50 pair for use on the Great Lakes. I haven’t used the Fujinon enough to rate between the 10x30 canons, I’ve had the canon for several years and would never go back to non-stabilized binoculars. I use mostly for reading the mileage on daymarks, channel markers and boat names. The fujinon are heavier but have excellent optics and if there isn’t any deterioration of the rubber coating I’ll give them the win.

Thanks Ron,

Fujinon

I have the Fujinon and am very happy with them. Keep the battery pack out of them when not in use.

One more reply. We have a pair of Cannon 12x36 and the Fujinon 14x40
Fujinon is my binocular of choice, but go to a store and try both out, YMMV.

I have the same binoculars you mentioned. I will preface my comments with I have never tried any other stabilized binoculars so I will not offer any comparisons.
Pros:
-Bright and sharp optics/image as compared to my mid level non-stabilized non-Cannon set.
-Stabilization works well. Hold down the button for as long as you need it or a quick tap of the button and it will remain in stabilized mode for a minute or so and then switch off.
-18X is a lot!... A whole lot and it can come in very handy.

Cons:
-18X is a lot!...A whole lot and with the motion of the boat even with stabilization you may find yourself struggling to stay on a specific target.
-it's heavy so if you plan on holding up to your eyes for long periods of time start working out now.
-Battery life is limited so stock up multiple pairs of AA batteries or get rechargeable ones.

Bottom line is I love having them on board.

Dan

I also have the fujnion IS ( few years old). Great investment.
Harry Sea Frolic

We have Nikon Stabilized 14X40 and find them very helpful.

Check Defender Marine, they often have stabilized binoculars on sale.

Best regards,
Charles
Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927
AGLCA 12114

Please keep in mind that emails show no emotion, often omit words, and may be perceived as the opposite of what is intended. A simple phone call is the fastest way to straighten out any misunderstanding or questions.

A long thread on stabilised binoculars on the ybw motor boat forum ended in the Fujinon Stabiscope S12x40 or 16x40 being the favourite.

The results from many motor boaters was that although expensive, they came out top of the pile for 'doing the job'.

stabilized vs non stabilized - big difference.

Want to see the number on the buoy and not just a buoy? Want to read the number on the far day marker? read the name of the boat and not just see a boat bouncing along? Discern a specific structure on shore from well offshore? if so- get stabilized pair.
Which brand? much smaller differences.
Robust enough for use on a trawler certainly.

Have the Fujinon 14 x 40- no complaints. Well actually I could whine that I'd keep one pair in the pilothouse and one pair on the flying bridge if they weren't so costly.

My first pair of Canon 12x36 IS 5.6" lasted 9 years before the IS went funky. Repair was almost the cost of a new replacement. I bought 12x36 IS III 5 degree. It is noticeably smaller and lighter than the earlier version. Ditto the "once you go IS you can't go back."

Thanks everyone. After trying to find a pair of the lighter, but discontinued, Fujinon 12x32, I ordered the 14x40 based on everyone's experience. I know there will be many other application benefits, but wildlife viewing from the boat is a priority, and these seem to fit the bill.

Thanks everyone. After trying to find a pair of the lighter, but discontinued, Fujinon 12x32, I ordered the 14x40 based on everyone's experience. I know there will be many other application benefits, but wildlife viewing from the boat is a priority, and these seem to fit the bill.

The Fujinon 12x32 have been discontinued, but replaced by the 12x28 which are also light. If you want light, they are less than half the weight.

The Fujinon 12x32 have been discontinued, but replaced by the 12x28 which are also light. If you want light, they are less than half the weight.

Yes, but from what I could tell the 12x28 are not at all waterproof, nor are the optics sealed. The 12x32 were. It is the weight that caused me to pause, but thinking about how we use them, I don't think it will be a problem. Just to be safe, I've duct taped 2# bags of flour to my wife's fore arms so she can get in shape to handle the binocs when they arrive.

FWIW, B&H has the Canon 8x25 IS Image Stabilized Binocular for $269 today. An EXCELLENT price for a very good pair.

Yes, but from what I could tell the 12x28 are not at all waterproof, nor are the optics sealed. The 12x32 were. It is the weight that caused me to pause, but thinking about how we use them, I don't think it will be a problem. Just to be safe, I've duct taped 2# bags of flour to my wife's fore arms so she can get in shape to handle the binocs when they arrive.

In our case, I decided if for some reason we had enough water on the bridge to put wifey's 12x28s at risk... we'd have way more problems than that to sort out...

:)

-Chris

Well Santa brought the Fujinon 14 x 40 and they are a great piece of equipment. Given the magnification of 14 x, the stabilization seems almost essential. I find it really hard to hold them steady enough to see clearly objects magnified to that degree without it.

The weight seems a non issue. They're a bit heavier than my Steiners, but not so much as it is much noticeable. Expensive at $1040, but if that doesn't deter you, highly recommended.

Thanks everyone!

Please keep in mind that emails show no emotion, often omit words, and may be perceived as the opposite of what is intended. A simple phone call is the fastest way to straighten out any misunderstanding or questions.

Another gem of a comment.
Thanks

I remember being told at the Henley College of Management (UK) that any communication comprises:

55% - body language
38% - inflection in the voice
7% - the words

Hence, the written word can be a nightmare to understand....

I remember being told at the Henley College of Management (UK) that any communication comprises:

55% - body language
38% - inflection in the voice
7% - the words

Hence, the written word can be a nightmare to understand....

The college missed something though. Cultural Interpretation/Knowledge to process/understand the body language, voice inflection and words. :)

I work with people, and have worked with people, from different places. Places could be US states, different countries or even different areas within a US state. I frequently see miscommunication from Cultural Interpretation of words, inflection and body language. The funny thing is we are all speaking English. :rofl::rofl::rofl: Yet we still have too much miscommunication. :nonono: :)

Later,
Dan

Go Fujinon, they are gyro stabilized and perform much better than the Canons will in seas. Believe me, the difference is profound.

Yay! Belated Christmas present - just been given the Fujinon 14x40. Should arrive in a few days - can't wait to try them.

Reviving this 3-year old thread on binoculars. Hoping for specific recommendations of 7x50 vs something other. Definitely want image stabilization (consensus in this thread is Fujinon is tops). Specific models would be great if anyone has undergone a similar search lately - I realize these are not cheap. Unlike TwistedTree's tale of woe on the first page of this thread, hoping this is a one-time purchase.

Thoughts for a good value but higher-end set of IS binocular?

Thanks in advance -

Peter

Back
Top Bottom