I'm totally exasperated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is a pic of your boat (our past 38) being trucked to our house. These boats are not so hard to truck....

ry%3D400

LAUNCH NOW as is , just get away.

Old bottom paint in fresh water is seldom a hassle , wont grow as much as in sea water , if at all.

Paint before launch was required when wooden boats could be eaten by worms.

The fresh water pollyestermites are very easy on GRP boats , even with no bottom paint.

LAUNCH NOW as is , just get away.

Old bottom paint in fresh water is seldom a hassle , wont grow as much as in sea water , if at all.

Paint before launch was required when wooden boats could be eaten by worms.

The fresh water pollyestermites are very easy on GRP boats , even with no bottom paint.

Fred hit da nail on the head! As he often does!! :dance:

Simply get in the water - ASAP! :thumb:

As of right now, all bills are paid.
The slip is paid for and I informed them, that my slip should be prorated for everyday
after Memorial day my boat is not in the water. The manager agrees because she
is afraid to confront the head of the yard.
Trailing to another location is not an option.
My plan is to start sanding Memorial day and then if they still put me off, I will paint it
myself.
Politely have them put it in the water but find another yard for the rest of the refit.
Later, go to the City manager who has the contract with the head of the yard and
ask them to find someone else to run the place. I'm a newbie but I've talked
to other boaters and they all find similar problems with this guy.
His bully attitude of , I will do it on my time, is poor business and maybe if the
city realizes the city could make more revenue with a more customer friendly
manager.

The more I read, the more I'm confused. Now, you're talking doing the sanding yourself? Did you have a contract with them for the service and did it include all you wanted done?

Everyone here practically has said "run" and yet you seem to indicate you can't do that? Why is that? Why continue to deal with someone you feel the way you do about them? Why not just have the boat launched as it is. Better today than to get halfway through sanding or something.

Based on what is posted so far from Ctbarbarian...

FWIW - If you do sand or undertake any work that is prohibited then they 'have you".
You have violated rules and regs. and they can really make life a mess for you.
trying to move after that will be impossible not to mention that your boating season will be over for sure.
We have seen this near us when a 'real winner' boat yard manager goes head to head with someone who then breaks the 'rules'.

Again just for background information - we were briefly in a mess like this one year when the 'policy' changed at the marina we were at and bottom painting became 'regulated'.
First they said we needed a 2 million insurance policy to do the work ourselves - we gave them a copy of that the next day and said we would start on the weekend.
Second they said we needed 'special' equipment to protect the ground and the persons working on the boat , we supplied the lists of what we had (superior to their workers) and said we would start that weekend.
Third they said we then needed a NY pesticide license when working with bottom paint , we returned yet again with the NY pesticide license and said we would begin that weekend.'

So at that point they just said we could not do it anyway - a waste of time attempting to work with someone that was predisposed to make up their own rules.

Boating can be great fun - please do not get tied into these types of people as it will ruin your experience and they are 'experts' at being morons.

Curious- did your surveyor tell you to sand and paint?

Thanks Smitty
I will look into the trailer but how far did they trailer ?

My nearest option is probably over 60 miles down river.

In Iowa on the Miss, we are usually a one horse town with
very few local options.

The surveyor, I think did a poor job.
He missed the separated radar arch, leaky hose that fills
the diesel tanks, a leaky sliding window.
He was vague on painting, said it will be needed to be done
in a year or two. Expense is not a problem.
I know I was buying a 30 year old boat with its minor problems
I just didn't anticipate the poor local yard service.

In my plan, I pictured them working on the boat over the winter,
painting in the spring and learning to use it in the summer.

Just didn't happen

Thanks Smitty
I will look into the trailer but how far did they trailer ?

My nearest option is probably over 60 miles down river.

In Iowa on the Miss, we are usually a one horse town with
very few local options.

I moved it myself with a trailer that I borrowed/rented - pulled by my Diesel dually at that time. $ of the round trips were about 8 miles and one round trip was closer to 12 - our biggest problem was overhead clearances with tree limbs in our residential areas. Any boat transporter will be able to do this for a reasonable fee in just over half a day.
I will see if I have any other pics handy -

The surveyor, I think did a poor job.
He missed the separated radar arch, leaky hose that fills
the diesel tanks, a leaky sliding window.
He was vague on painting, said it will be needed to be done
in a year or two. Expense is not a problem.
I know I was buying a 30 year old boat with its minor problems
I just didn't anticipate the poor local yard service.

In my plan, I pictured them working on the boat over the winter,
painting in the spring and learning to use it in the summer.

Just didn't happen

These are really common issues for these boats so please visit the BOC if you have not already to get some real good feedback on how to handle these issues - Do you have Hino's in this boat?

The boat is about #18,500 mostly dry and about #21,000 as I moved it will no water , waste , and minimal fuel.

Thanks B and B for the info,
When I started this I didn't know I was supposed to get a contract.
I'm learning a lot here.
I found out I can work on my boat but not other professionals unless
they are bonded.
Live and learn, from now on, I will get a contract for the work, cost and
finish date with penalty.
But if they tell me to jump in the river, its a long way to the next yard.

Yes Smitty, I have the Hino's
I visit BOC regularly and most seem to think
this is a good boat for under $30k.

But if I ever trade up, I like the 31 CD Ranger tug.

trailerable, smaller for a single person handling and
looks good.
Not sure if the single diesel is better than a twin but thats
a different discussion.

looks good.
a different discussion.

I cannot say enough about the 38 we had with the Hino's. Huge inside space, speed and economy with range, many amenities, and a great purchase price to value.
Would be hard to go to a smaller boat after you spend a season or two on the 38 especially if you have a family and or spend a lot of nights on the boat.
Had some really great times cruising on that boat.

Smitty
what did you have for davits and a dinghy, if any?

After all this is prepped, I will need to bring along a dinghy
and haven't figured out what to get.

lots of options but I want to get the right set up the first time.

Then make arrangements to get the boat trucked out of there to a facility that will launch it. Probably a lot cheaper and less aggravating than a legal approach.

If the marina isn't able to timely launch your boat, wouldn't their crane be unavailable even to place the boat on a trailer?

Thankfully, many of us reside in year-around boating areas so can avoid the season-long, dry-storage issues.

Last edited:
"If the marina isn't able to timely launch your boat, wouldn't their crane be unavailable even to place the boat on a trailer?"

Maybe but I don't see a reason why that would be the case. The trailer I used wad a hydraulic trailer that could lift the boat off of blocks without any other assistance.

Smitty
what did you have for davits and a dinghy, if any?

After all this is prepped, I will need to bring along a dinghy
and haven't figured out what to get.

lots of options but I want to get the right set up the first time.

I tipped an inflatable up onto the swim step and tied it there for trips. Later on we also towed a larger inflatable behind the boat.
The beam is 13' 5" so you have room for a decent sized inflatable across the stern.

any davits or just tip up and tie off ?

I used no davits in the 38, either 45 or the 47 I had for the smaller inflatables.
Just tipped them up and tied off through a single "O" top bolt I positioned through the center of the swimstep back near the hull.
The owners on BOC will give you many other ideas on what they have done with their 38's for dinghies.

Tip and tie is my guess.

Forget the paint and sundry list of items. Fix only what makes it float and launch it. Upriver or down to the next marina and forget this heartbreak exists.

looks good.
a different discussion.

Perhaps read this current post as well...
BoaterEd - Ranger Tugs

Is there not a good quality launch ramp nearby? If so hire in someone with a hydraulic trailer and ramp it.
The boats not that big. Around here they do that daily up to about 45' .
As to the bottom, by not painting it now you'll just have maybe a little more cleaning at fall haulout. That's no big deal, we're talking fresh water here so it's only slime.

If the surveyor said a year or two and if you have ablative paint, you wouldn't probably need to sand anyways unless it was minor touch up... maybe you could take some pics, post here and get a good ole TF consensus. My first "bottom paint job" consisted of a quart of paint after I got advice from someone who wasn't trying to make money from me

If the surveyor said a year or two and if you have ablative paint, you wouldn't probably need to sand anyways unless it was minor touch up... maybe you could take some pics, post here and get a good ole TF consensus. My first "bottom paint job" consisted of a quart of paint after I got advice from someone who wasn't trying to make money from me

His goals of being on the loop within a year may alter the thoughts about painting dependent upon when he may leave, where he is headed , and how long he will be gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom