I'm Thinking of Selling My Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rowfly

Im thinking of selling my boat.

Im thinking of selling my boat. Is it a good time to sell ?

Attachments

• my boat.jpg
    my boat.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 138
Right now is probably the best of the worst times to sell if that makes sense. Lots more buyers out there right now, prices mildly stabilized (boat prices stabilized- haha- they always just go down!), and spring is nearly here.

We had 5 closings just in January last month and already 2 this month. *It is looking to be a good spring season.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 13th of February 2012 03:22:54 PM

Just to chime in I have six boats under contract. The market is good for the good boats.

Great boats with a low price will always sell.

Its mostly a pricing question.

Be realistic , and you will sell, Dream BIG and it may be another decade .

Its always a good time to sell if you're actually ready to sell. If you're not ready then you won't price reasonably and it will turn out to be a bad time to sell. Doesn't matter what you are selling the same rule applies.

There are only three reasons a boat wont sell

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price

Cream puffs sell like hotcakes!
Things to do to sell a boat:
Clean, clean, and clean some more. Compound and wax, clean the bilge, clean the engine room, scrape down the rust, prime and paint. Polish the isenglass, clean the teak. Make a potential buyer say "Wow this boat looks good." an alternative is to lower the price so much the buyer says, "Wow, this is cheap enough for me to fix up."
How to pick a broker:
If there is an broker's office at your marina pick the closest guy, make it easy for a buyer that is already going to his office to look at one more boat that is close by. If not at your marina, pick one that is not too far.
Do not pick a broker that does not have an office, there are many who are on the internet but do not have an office. Try to find one who knows something about your type of boat, check Yacht World and other sites for similar boats and find out which brokers list them.
If you try to sell it yourself, look at listings on Yacht World for similar boats and give the same type of information. Get a camera with a wide angle lens, and take lots of pictures, give the location, price, and a list of upgrades and major equipment. Tell the potential buyer to contact you for more pictures and more inforamtion, maybe you can get to talk to them and tell them what you have done for maintenance and upgrades.

A boat that looks like a yard-sale photographed with a cheap cellphone camera is unlikely to sell. When shopping for my current boat, I was amazed at how many really bad adverts I found. I would advise anyone selling a boat to:

1. Tidy up inside and out, wash windows and polish everything. The boat should look well cared-for, not abandoned.

2. Take plenty of good quality photographs - all angles, inside and out. Especially Include the engine room. An advert without engine room pics suggests (to me anyway) a seller who is unfamilliar with his machinery and/or ashamed of its condition. If possible, include pics of the boat under way, even if it is only 50ft from the dock.

There are only three reasons a boat wont sell

1. Price
2. Price
3. Price

I would disagree , Condition, Condition, Condition is key

The old concept "paint sells the boat" is far more important than price.

No question a stupid price will block a sale , but wannabees are dreamers and a clean good looking boat is easy to visualize being aboard.

A cheap rust bucket , or" Fixer upper" , does not get the juices flowing , and the checkbook out without long contemplation.

FF

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom