Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #161
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
RE: I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

Update:

The process continues and all bids are closed. A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.

My final decision as to: keeping it, donating or selling is tabled until late spring.

I appreciate everyones PMs, e-mail, advice, etc. but the facts are these:

Since I first posted this thread (10/15/2011) I have put exactly 1.6 hours on the engine. (And some of that has been in the slip, idling in gear.)

I have a few offers from folks on the dock to sell but as to whether or not they are serious is yet to be determined. If I decide to sell, the above stated designated recipient has first refusal.
Attached Thumbnails
img_2105.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:41 PM   #162
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

The process continues and all bids are closed. A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.

My final decision as to: keeping it, donating or selling is tabled until late spring.

Since I first posted this thread (10/15/2011) I have put exactly 1.6 hours on the engine. (And some of that has been in the slip, idling in gear.)

I have a few offers from folks on the dock to sell but as to whether or not they are serious is yet to be determined. If I decide to sell, the above stated designated recipient has first refusal.
The latter two of your alternatives is saddening from my perspective.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 PM   #163
Per
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

good for you, i have to say i admire your determination to deal with this.

lot of folks would rather sit on their boat and be miserable and not face the fact that boating is no longer "fun" to them.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #164
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Walt I think my computer is broken???? Can you resend that notification. Thanks*
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:44 PM   #165
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht

Quote:
swampu wrote:
Walt I think my computer is broken???? Can you resend that notification. Thanks*
*I was thinking the same thing.*
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:14 PM   #166
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update:

*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.

How about a photo of you in the bath with a captains hat on, a cigar in your mouth, and one of those toy plastic tugboats putting around.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #167
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Quote:
Andy G wrote:*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.
How about a photo of you in the bath with a captains hat on, a cigar in your mouth, and one of those toy plastic tugboats putting around.
*Like this?

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #168
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:Andy G wrote:*You do of course understand*by taking this action you are required, under the terms of the TF forum, to post a new post*Seahorse*Avitar.
*Like this?

And he's even got dual controls.
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:49 AM   #169
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Seriously I actually know what ails you.......

....You've become dissatisfied with lots of boats before.....

Go w the flow. .........Sell the boat and get another. It's what you do and need to keep doing it unless you can change the thing that keeps you in this pattern..
I took the time this morning to research what lead me to buying another boat. I re-read the thread on "I'm losing my desire For Boating" as was recommended today by Flywright. Eric Henning hit the nail right on the head when he wrote the above. I didn't quote his entire post, only the parts that hit home.

Thanks, Eric....you should have been a "Skrink!"
Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #170
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
This is an excellent thread on the maturation of boating relationships.

I have been aboard boats working for over 40 years. I have had some type of recreational boat (sail, skiff, sunfish, I/O, dinghy) for all these years. But, until I bought a trawler last year I didn't realize my Wife is not enamored with the slow trawler life. She actually prefers to be on a Jetski at 30 Kts.

So I had to come to grips with a solution. I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part.

It takes an open mind to adapt to the boat style you want (need) to make your life go 'round.

Good Luck with your next boat. Post Pics!
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:54 PM   #171
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Walt,
Should have been a what?
I don't remember saying that but that's OK as I think you've already paid for your couch time.
I wonder if I can take my own advice. Or just keep on "trawl'in"?
Thanks for the compliment.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 11:44 PM   #172
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
... I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part...
We have a couple other boaters at the marina who have made that jump - jetskis as dingys. They're fast, easy to maneuver, relatively easy to board and dismount from a swim step, and a heck of a lot more comfortable than sitting in an inflatable dingy with water sloshing over the tubes, messing with an outboard, my leg going to sleep because it's bent funny, and then I still haven't found an easy mounting system for the registration numbers. We don't need speed but we've been thinking of dumping the Zodiac for a jetski too.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 AM   #173
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
I plan to tow a jetski as our dinghy next season to keep her happy with the speed part, and Me happy with the comfort part.
Keeping her happy is important. Make sure you read the Jetski manual about towing it. Some jetski designs will fill up with water under tow. Back when I had seadoos, I burned out the drive bearing one and towed it back with the other one. When we got back to the dock, it was riding low in the water, partially swamped.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:01 AM   #174
Guru

City: Stuart FL
Vessel Name: Lucky Lucky
Vessel Model: Pacific Mariner 65
It's hard to get the bicycle to shore on a jet ski.
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 04:35 PM   #175
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
It's hard to get the bicycle to shore on a jet ski.
Not to mention an 85 lb Labrador Retriever.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:35 PM   #176
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post

Dog-sized wakeboard towed behind the jetski.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 06:52 PM   #177
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhatty View Post
Don't the Yellow Labs swim?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #178
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
You might have a hard time justifying a jetski at the free dinghy dock (even if you say it's your "dinghy").
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:44 AM   #179
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Walt--- I wonder if part of this issue is that there aren't that many places to go in SoCal. What if you moved the boat to the PNW and then came up here periodically to use it. You have family in Kirkland so you have more of a reason than just boating to come up here. There are a number of boats in our marina, for example, that are "home ported" in Montana, Nevada, Utah, etc. Their owners come out periodically, take a cruise, then go home for awhile.

You say you've spent time SE Alaska but not in northern Puget Sound and BC. There's a lifetime of boating in this area alone. We've had our boat 13 years so far and have not yet even remotely gotten tired of boating in this area, even if we go to a destination we've been to dozens of times before.

So call Associated Boat Transport Home and get a quote for hauling your boat from SoCal to Puget Sound.* That's how we got our GB up here, although it came from Alameda.

We normally discourage boaters from coming to this state but I think in your case we can make an exception:-)

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 15th of October 2011 08:08:50 PM
Beautiful photos above which represent beautiful boating waters. I also know you have beautiful cruising yachts up there. I'm new to this forum. Can someone tell me about the seasons and is winter boating really realistic? That's how much I know about the PNW. Also, in the back of my mind is my despair with the thought of living in a cloudy, rainy. depression with the daily threat of rain. Another unknown to me is cost. I see your housing prices and wonder if an east coast guy could afford to live there due to the greater expenses for food, fuel, etc. Anyone want to enlighten me?
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 AM   #180

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mary A
Vessel Model: Chris-Craft Speedster
Quote:
I've decided that when the time comes (and I have no time table on that) I am going to give her, lock stock and barrel to a deserving owner that will cruise her, keep her in excellent repair & write me once in awhile so I can share her adventures, vicariously.
Quote:
A decision on who gets the boat, (if I finally decide to donate it)* however, has been made and that party has been notified.
Quote:
Yawn
Padeen is offline   Reply With Quote