Old 11-04-2011, 07:56 PM   #81
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
RE: I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

It's my understanding that you can give away about 10k per year without tax issues. I'm no attorney though.

swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #82
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
skipperdude wrote:
Now that's funny Walt. People actually PM you and ask for your boat.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 4th of November 2011 03:36:12 PM
*That was my second thought after reading his post SD.
I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:

CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
swampu wrote:
It's my understanding that you can give away about 10k per year without tax issues. I'm no attorney though.
*Actually it's 13K/year to multiple recipients, if desired, but the gift law is more complicated than that. Everyone has a one time gift limit of 1 million dollars that need not be transacted at one time. You can give various amounts over the years but the sum total cannot be more than 1 million, cumulative. Currently it's $5 million but that ends next month. Thanks Congress! (Again, that's my understanding but I'm open to being corrected should a writer surface with information that is in direct opposition to my own understanding.)
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #84
Guru

Quote:
CPseudonym wrote:I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:
*I have received some PMs by people throwing their collective hats in the ring which I don't consider to be gauche" at all! I have lived a good portion of my life by going against these PC practices. Most of the PMs I've received are anchored in the belief that I will give the boat to the most deserving candidate. If that's your "pitch", then I haven't made myself clear.

I'm not out to give a gift to someone who is down on their luck or has dreams of owning a boat that they otherwise can't afford. Should a multi billionaire contact me with a passion for boating that I can truly buy in to, he's got it!
Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #85
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:CPseudonym wrote:I'll admit my first thought was to check my PM history and make double sure I didn't do something that*gauche on an evening after enjoying an extra glass of scotch.:relax:
*I have received some PMs by people throwing their collective hats in the ring which I don't consider to be gauche" at all! I have lived a good portion of my life by going against these PC practices. Most of the PMs I've received are anchored in the belief that I will give the boat to the most deserving candidate. If that's your "pitch", then I haven't made myself clear.

I'm not out to give a gift to someone who is down on their luck or has dreams of owning a boat that they otherwise can't afford. Should a multi billionaire contact me with a passion for boating that I can truly buy in to, he's got it!

*FWIW, It was meant to bring a little levity is all. I will admit that I looked up your boat brand and model on Yachtworld when this thread started and decided it was outside the comfort zone as a first cruiser. No "pitch" intended or implied.

One or two boats from now I may change my mind
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 AM   #86
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser

Too small for me and I'm not 100% convinced you're serious, not just messing with our collective heads, but whatever the motivation you're providing lots of entertainment.* And so far it hasn't cost you anything - gotta love that too, no matter how much money you've got.*

I've got a Malibu Response LX that has served us really well but hasn't been in the water for 2 years now.* We're not ready to get rid of it but I can guarantee that when we are no freeloaders need apply.* It will either go to a kid or to the highest bidder.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #87

I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

A friend with a trawler told us to check your posting. Wow, sorry to hear that you are loosing interest in your boating.* We have been boating with our 1986 Bayliner on the mid-BC coast for 3 years now.* We love it.* My husband grew up on boats on rivers, lakes, and the ocean in the SF Bay area of California. We live on a lake in B.C. and are avid water people for over 30 years.* The transition to the coast and ocean waters has been a natural for us.* We both love being out exploring, fishing, kayaking the protected waters of our mid-coast.*

Obviously, we will need to find a better boat so that we can cruise for more lengthly stays and comfort too.* We are interested in finding a trawler and if you wanted to discuss options we would be honoured.* This includes purchase, not simply a gifting.* My husband enjoys maintaining and mechanicing on our current boat, I would venture to say as much as we do boating...but likely that is a stretch!

We are traveling to N.California for Thanksgiving to visit aging parents and could try to connect in San Diego during this time as we have a nephew and his family living in that area too.*

If you are interested in any further discussion, let us know. The BC coast is an amazing place and somewhere you surely would enjoy coming to explore.* So regardless, do contact us and we can inspire you to explore this area along with us...

-- Edited by sundog on Friday 11th of November 2011 02:17:49 PM
sundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #88
Guru

Sundog:

I appreciate your response to this thread but in all honesty there are about 10 peope I'm considering giving the boat to. 5 are on this Forum!

Thanks for the reply, though.

Update from my CPA

I ask if the recipient would have to pay a sales or use tax when he or she receives the boat as a "gift."

Here is his reply:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat gift tax question copy.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	8436  
Old 11-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #89
Per
Guru

sorry to hear about your troubles.

She is a beautiful boat and whilst others think you should send her off to far of waters, I think San Diego is a perfectly great place for boating.
We are in Long Beach and enjoy cruising to nearby ports as well as Catalina.

I have a counter proposition - I will pass on the buck so to say.
I mean, what would I use two boats for? So I would simply give away my 38' California in the same manner.
Being in Long Beach, you would obviously be welcome to visit her anytime.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #90
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
Per wrote:
I mean, what would I use two boats for? So I would simply give away my 38' California in the same manner.
On the other hand, if you sold your Californian you would then have sufficient funds to keep Walt's boat in the condition he is hoping it will be kept in for as long as you had the boat.* You could even hire out things like waxing and boat detailing if you're too busy to do it yourself :-)
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:30 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Update from my CPA

I ask if the recipient would have to pay a sales or use tax when he or she receives the boat as a "gift."

It's hard to beat the tax man. *You could do what the previous owner did on my boat: *Have lighting strike and burn it almost to the ground and sell it to (prospective giftee) on the cheep. *THAN watch as years go buy and tens and tens of thousands of dollars go in it to EARN IT!!! *A boat is like a wife, you earn it. *Every day I work to earn the family, it's not given. *I'm not an a-hole I just know when you give it away, it's going to be a dud and your going to be pissed. *Good to hear from you though.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #92
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
Sundog:

I appreciate your response to this thread but in all honesty there are about 10 peope I'm considering giving the boat to. 5 are on this Forum!

__________________________________________________ _____

The number of considerations that are on this Forum is now 4.
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #93
Guru

SeaHourse, I had an idea. What if you were to narrow the field of prospective giftee's down to lets say five. Have the five write bio's of themselves on a web site. Each of them pick out there favorite charity and let them start fund raising. They would need to be creative, local news media, internet, GMA local news and friends. Each prospective would raise as much money for charity as they could and the most documented money raised would get the boat. That way they would be involved and have some "skin in the game".
Old 11-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #94
Guru

I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

Paul:

Your idea sounds interesting and very creative however my goal is to get SeaHorse in loving hands and not necessarily with someone who can raise the most money for charity. I'm also narrowing it down to geographical locations. (ie: in the water 12 months a year, temperate climate, etc.) At the moment I'm favoring the PNW (And possibly with my own family if they can demonstrate their ability and commitment* to take care of her.) I think the ability is there but not the commitment. I also have decided on keeping her on the West Coast for a number of reasons. (Her nav system has all the electronic charts from NW Alaska to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. No need for the new owner to order any new electronic charting. (See my photo below)

Marin came up with an interesting idea along these same lines (PNW) & I'm presently investigating the possibilities.

In the meantime I've had her lazarette and shower sump locker (not the sump itself) cleaned and painted & her swim platformed re-sealed & oiled which I inspected an hour ago. (Looks great!) The emergency tiller, however, has some rust on it that must be removed and repainted & a zerk fitting (rusty) on the rudder post needs to be replaced. It seems that there's always something to be done if you want the boat to look t--s!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Monday 14th of November 2011 09:09:07 AM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3539.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	8462   Click image for larger version

Name:	img_3538.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	8463  
Old 11-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
*(And possibly with my own family if they can demonstrate their ability and commitment* to take care of her.) I think the ability is there but not the commitment.*

This is the most promising post i've read yet
Old 11-14-2011, 05:02 AM   #96
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Is there a riverkeeper or waterway watchdog organization that could use it?
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #97
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever, I would donate it to someone on the Great Lakes, The season is only a few months per year, then into the indoor storage building( some of these are heated ).

The water is fresh, which equals less corrosion.

The water is cold, and 9 months a year to dry out (less osmosis).

Long off season for yard to redo brightwork etc.

Much less Sun exposure* (less UV damage).

This makes the Great Lakes an awesome place to buy a used boat.

In the water all year in a hot climate.* Not the best for boats.

IMHO*** JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 AM   #98
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever, I would donate it to someone on the Great Lakes, The season is only a few months per year, then into the indoor storage building( some of these are heated

In the water all year in a hot climate.* Not the best for boats.

IMHO*** JohnP
*Trouble is, the above is the best climate to actually ENJOY a boat in...kinda presents a dilemma doesn't it.* Buy in the Great Lakes, and sail in the Florida Keys, maybe...
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:14 AM   #99
Guru

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
If I wanted to preserve a boat in near new condition forever,......

__________________________________________________ _____

It's interesting you brought the Great Lakes region up as I have a nephew in Erie, PA that has his captain's license and makes his living by skippering a research vessel. I've seen that vessel, however, and he definitely is not a candidate.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #100
Per
Guru

Quote:
Marin wrote:Per wrote:
On the other hand, if you sold your Californian you would then have sufficient funds to keep Walt's boat in the condition he is hoping it will be kept in for as long as you had the boat.* You could even hire out things like waxing and boat detailing if you're too busy to do it yourself :-)

*True enough but I feel it is fair to pass on a gift and I do believe I have the funds to keep her in tip top shape. Not sure exactly how much I have spent on the Californian but I am the kind of person who likes things to be in good working order...

I have had the Californian for 1.5 years now, people who see it now is impressed with her classic looks and brightwork. When I first got her, people were not sure if the wood could be brought back.

Per is offline   Reply With Quote