Old 10-16-2011, 08:40 AM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

Walt* -* It is amazing how*many people cruise in the PNW but do not live there. We live in Salt Lake City and keep our vessel in Sidney BC. About 1/2 the boats in our marina are US flagged. Our boat has become*the Sedona we considered. If we if we don't like the view or the neighbors we lift anchor.

SoCal boating and*intrinsic ocean swells are*pretty dreary in comparison to the easily found flat water of the inland PNW. But one and the Admiral must enjoy the cool and athletic related outdoors to enjoy boating in the PNW. It is not the California dream (lost now*sad to say) of the Beach Boys. Our daughters who live in AZ, put on Parkas*when visiting us on the boat in*60 degree weather but succumb to windbreakers after a few days.

-- Edited by sunchaser on Sunday 16th of October 2011 08:51:11 AM

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
RE: I'm Losing My Desire for Boating....

Walt: Wish I could wax some wisdom to paint brush you into some other kind of consciousness, but I wonder how much success my own journey into boating is going to have with my Admiral. We're due to start full time cruising in less than two years, and the boat (if nothing else) is the doghouse I must retreat to whenever we're threatening each other not to do the cruising thing at all. Separate interests are good, but when they exist on two different physical densities like water and dirt, it's a challenge to reach compromise.

healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Walt, as has been suggested, a change of venue may be just the thing.* When we had kids at home, local cruising was the order.* We did about everything that could be done withing 3-400 miles of our river system.* When they were off to college, we got a fishingd boat and had it on the Gulf coast.* My last boat and this boat have never been "home".

I will tire of cruising the same area.* We move the boat around fairly frequently.* When we are cruising we try to vary our stops as much as possible.* We are moving from SC to Fort Pierce, FL. in the next couple of weeks.* New area to explore, and fish.* It's closer to the Bahamas, too.* On the way down, we plan to spend a couple of nights anchored at Cumberland Island for some exploring.* I have intended to do this for a long time.* The California Delta sounds interesting.* The PNW is an area that I am keenly interested.* Canada and Alaska would not be out of the question.

Many people that know me don't even know that I have a boat.* My Blackfin is at a dock near home, and it is not used often.* The people on the dock think I don't boat very much.

Leaving a boat at distance locals creates some logistic problems.* These are usually easily taken care of.* I wil hire a local captain to check on the boat, and make preparations for storms.* Usually you will learn the yards and services quickly enough.* We fee at home where ever Moonstruck is.* It can be from Maryland to the Bahamas.*

It also makes interesting cruising for friends and family.* We see them more at the boat than most any where else.* It can really revive interest in boating.* There are such rich cruising areas within reach, that I would hate to see you give it up.

You have probably thought of all this, but I thought it worth mentioning.

.* .** .** .* .* .* .** . but then agian I am in the clear mountain air.* Let's see how you feel after your stay in the mountains.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:02 AM   #24
Scraping Paint

City: -

Our first boat of any substance was our Arima. From 1987 through about 1995 we used it all the time for fishing in the Sound and up north in BC. Then the fishing dropped off, the reguations shortened the seasons to nearly nothing, and we stopped using the Arima. Then we go the GB. The Arima sat unused in the backyard for seven years. It had a heater in the cuddy cabin to hold the moisture and mildew at bay, but that was it. I hadn't even fogged the engines.

We came very close to sellng the boat several times, and the one time we would have sold for sure to a the friend who had been bugging us for years to sell the boat to him, he'd given up and purchased a new boat they day before. Then my wife and I got to talking about the the good times we'd had halibut fishing up in Telegraph Cove in BC and we decided to go up again. It cost $2,000 to "fix" the engine I had neglected. But today, while we still don't use the Arima as much as we did during the years after we first bought it, we are VERY glad we didn't sell it. We bought it new for about $15,000. Replacing it today with the same boat new would be close to $30,000. And we are enthusiastically anticipating using the boat down here, too, for salmon fishing again.

So even if one wants to take a break from boating for awhile, unless they are positive they NEVER want to own or use a boat again, it's often worth keeping the current boat if one can afford to and can come up with a way to keep it properly maintained. Particularly if the boat they have is ideal for the kind of boating they want to do, which is certainly the case with our Arima.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Walt, Lots of great advice so far.

I think you LOVE that boat and it's the perfect boat for your style of boating. It's not the biggest or the smallest boat you have owned...it's just right. So it seems to me selling and changing boats is not the answer. But giving it away might be a bit drastic at this stage and obviously irreversible. I think I'd approach this change in incremental steps to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

1. Change your normal pattern. Arrange to do more things with your wife that you both share an interest in and visit the boat once a week. See how this feels for a couple months.

2. Arrange for some one to check on the boat regularly and stay away completely for a couple months to see how it feels not having a boat. No fishing or cruising on others boats, no fishing charters, no cheating! Like giving up smoking, go cold turkey and see how it feels.

3. If step 2 reveals you NEED to have a boat (like most of us feel, I assume), consider relocating her to another marina nearby to open up new waters for your discovery. If there are no new waters in your local area, move on to step 4.

4. Relocate your boat to new waters away from home. Of course, I'd suggest the CA Delta as an area full of new areas to explore, nice weather, freshwater, year-round boating and protected waters full of gunkholes. There are open berths in the sheds at Riverboat Marina that provide three walls, a roof and end curtain if desired, and a boat yard on the premises (Delta Boat Works) that is among the best in the delta. It's location allows trips N, S, E and W into the Delta for new places to explore. All you'd need is for someone to keep an eye on her and run her systems periodically when you're away to keep her in tip-top shape.

If all this fails to attract you back to boating, then I'd suggest taking your time to SELL her to the best boating family you can find. You're right, she NEEDS a good home to stay in her perfect shape. But giving her away is no guarantee that she'll receive that level of care.
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #26
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Id haul her up to the PNW and stretch my legs cruising around up there! Shipping your 32 will be extremely affordable- only takes an F350 dually pick up and a trailer, though depending on hull form it may take a special trailer. Either way, you are not talking a lot of $$$ to ship up there and it sure would be fun. Even if after a season up there you decide to part with her, you would most likely have a very enjoyable time cruising there for a bit and who knows- maybe you can ship her elsewhere after that. That is part of the fun of a 32'- very easy to move around anywhere you want.
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #27
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive

Walt,

The Halvorsen Island Gypsy was a boat my wife and I fell in love with when we were on our Albin 25 in Cowichan Bay, BC.* We were doing an emergency exhaust repair and the Gypsy owner drove us around to get the parts we needed.* Hi was a 30' but since then we have looked at 32's and think they are great boats.* Your model is especially appealing and would make a great cruiser up in the PNW.* My wife and I are in a partnership on a Willard 30 but will move to a different boat soon.* Come up and join us cruising the BC coast. Trailer or have the boat delivered by a captain and see the places we cruise.* Let us know if there is anything we can do to get you and your boat up here.

Keith Olive

kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM   #28
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
FlyWright wrote:If all this fails to attract you back to boating, then I'd suggest taking your time to SELL her to the best boating family you can find. You're right, she NEEDS a good home to stay in her perfect shape. But giving her away is no guarantee that she'll receive that level of care.
You're absolutely right.

Whether one sells or gives away a boat to what one thinks will be a good home there is, unfortunately, no guarantee that that good home will remain a good home.

After a couple of false starts, we sold our 70 year old woodie, in which we had invested* much love, blood, sweat, tears and treasure for 22 years, to a couple who were wealthy enough to have a yard maintain her to a high standard, who professed that they were in love with her, would be the next responsible stewards of her, care for her as if a family heirloom and vowed to keep her in shape so hopefully she would go another 70 years. They thanked us for our period of stewardship, donated a generous party basket of wine, cheese and other goodies to our farewell party for her. After they took her away, they sent us pictures of her in her new home (dock on their private island) with new carpeting, cushion coverings, electronics, heat exchangers and canvas. She looked great. We felt we had done well for the boat (not to mention our bank account).

A year and a half later they donated her (for tax reasons) to a non profit. They let her maintainance lapse (varnish peeling, not painted, etc.) and the boat had a stove-in plank on her transom and the toe rail was broken/smashed at the chock on the stbd bow.

The non profit patched her up a bit and has her for sale (has been for over a year now) on a (tax code mandated) 3 year lease/purchase arrangement. She was exhibited at a local boat show this summer and those friends and acquaintenances who saw her said she looked down at the heels.

I am pessimistic as to her future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	resipsa2-1.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	8007  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:43 PM   #29
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic

That is a beautiful boat. Her lines are near perfection. Keep us up to date with her disposition, if you can.
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
Giggitoni wrote:
That is a beautiful boat. Her lines are near perfection. Keep us up to date with her disposition, if you can.
*Seems to still be for sale. All I know about her status now are from the brokers' blurbs:

http://www.grayandgrayyachts.com/pri..._id=44788&url=

http://www.jonesportshipyard.com/doc...SPEC_SHEET.pdf

http://www.maritimefunding.com/boat-donations/3.html
Old 10-17-2011, 05:44 AM   #31
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

What A beautiful Boat Dave! Perfect for the New England coast.
Sailor of Fortune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #32
Guru

Walt,

You haven't talked too much about how your wife fits into all this except she apparently doesn't like boating. Has she always been uninterested in boating or is this something that recently occured?

Boating and especially cruising is far more enjoyed by two. Is there something you can do to rekindle her interest? Bigger boat, better sleeping accomodations. New cruising grounds. After owning 3 sailboats I vowed never to sleep in a V berth again.

And of course marriage is about compromise. 5 days a week with the horses should allow you one weekend a month with her on the boat.

But in the end perhaps you've just burned out and need a break. That's OK too.
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 07:48 AM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Sailor of Fortune wrote:
What A beautiful Boat Dave! Perfect for the New England coast.
But not so perfect during the six week long ,+/-, spring outfitting (sanding, painting, varnishing, wood repair) when one's energy level is increasingly being adversely affected by age, one's balance on the scaffolding is geting iffy (fell off a couple of times in the last two years of ownership) and one cannot afford to have a yard keep her up. Not to mention two aging, no longer manufactured engines.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:07 AM   #34
TF Site Team

Gee Walt:

You lobbed a bomb into the forum and then beat feet to hide out incommunicado in the mountains.

You [img]download.spark?ID=1018708&aBID=115492[/img]
Old 10-17-2011, 09:27 AM   #35
Guru

City: Vashon Island, WA
Vessel Name: Island Breeze
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 36-427
Send a message via Skype™ to kolive

My wife and I use to raise Morgan horses.* Then she had open heart surgery and I decided I did not want any horse accidents on top of the surgery.* She has recovered and been given a clean bill of health so we decided to part with our Morgan's, harder for me than her, and go cruising.* We have not looked back.* The new homes for my horses send us pictures and updates often and I actually get to visit them too.* You'll figure out what works for you and your wife.*

Best Wishes,

Keith Olive

Willard 30
kolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #36
Guru

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Apache II
Vessel Model: 1974 Donald Jones

Walt,

*I would ask to be put on your list of possible recipients of THE GIFT.

Butt. She is just to nice a boat. To my mind*owning on a boat is a 75% X 25% proposition. I have never owned anything new in my life (of any consequence.) I have always been the take something broken or worn out and bring it back to life again kind of guy. Always working out of pocket. Using bits and bartered pieces to make it my own.

I see myself as sort of Dick Van Dike in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang using what ever I could find to put my boat together. People have asked my why I want to work on an old boat all the time. My answer is. It keeps me young. Or did you ever have a fort or tree house when you were a kid. To me it's the same thing.

To me it has always been the vessel*not the voyage.

So in short I would say sell her.(Or give her away)*and buy something to fix.

You*could be surprised what an obsession something like that could be.*

I don't think I will ever get tired of working on boats.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 17th of October 2011 09:33:18 AM
skipperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 04:20 AM   #37
FF
Guru

"I don't think I will ever get tired of working on boats."

If you would like to vacation in CT or FL , we have a bunk for you!

"I don't think I will ever get tired of CRUISING in boats."

"WORK" , that's a 4 letter word!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 AM   #38
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Quote:
dwhatty wrote:
Gee Walt:

You lobbed a bomb into the forum and then beat feet to hide out incommunicado in the mountains.

*David, interesting that old boat of yours.* Being an Island Gypsy man, and coming out of a Halvorsen yard, do you see the resemblance between that old vessel and the design style of the early Halvorsen 38's of similar vintage, and did that influence your choice at all, or is it just coincidence.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=11474886

Coming back to Walt's predicament for a moment, I think the main issue, although Walt did not want to labour the point, is he is tired of doing his boating alone.* That being the case, I doubt just moving its location is likely to help.

It is a problem probably quite a few of us share here on the forum, but we don't tend to trumpet it about, because it is a personal thing, and we have to respect the fact that wives will not always share the passion for boating we do.* I think those who have spouses who are as keen or keener than they are over the boating thing are extremely lucky, and also probably in the minority if we were brutally honest.* So guys, if you are one of those, then rejoice and be glad....for the rest of us who have partners who are somewhat less enthused, take heart, you are not alone, and one way to help mitigate that is to develop some sort of connection with others in the 'same boat', so to speak, and have the odd get-together on each other's boats. This is something we Queenslanders have done a bit of in the past, and will try to keep doing if we can.* There must be some on here who are in Walt's locality, so maybe you want to try and link up more often.* Get each others cell phone numbers via PMs through this forum, and set some boat sharing outings up...that sort of thing.* Might help fan the flame a bit Walt...?* But please don't just give her away...

-- Edited by Peter B on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 07:40:01 AM
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #39
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Peter B wrote:dwhatty wrote:
Gee Walt:

*David, interesting that old boat of yours.* Being an Island Gypsy man, and coming out of a Halvorsen yard, do you see the resemblance between that old vessel and the design style of the early Halvorsen 38's of similar vintage, and did that influence your choice at all, or is it just coincidence.

http://www.boatpoint.com.au/boats-fo...spx?R=11474886

Coming back to Walt's predicament for a moment, I think the main issue, although Walt did not want to labour the point, is he is tired of doing his boating alone.* That being the case, I doubt just moving its location is likely to help.

It is a problem probably quite a few of us share here on the forum, but we don't tend to trumpet it about, because it is a personal thing, and we have to respect the fact that wives will not always share the passion for boating we do.* I think those who have spouses who are as keen or keener than they are over the boating thing are extremely lucky, and also probably in the minority if we were brutally honest.* So guys, if you are one of those, then rejoice and be glad....for the rest of us who have partners who are somewhat less enthused, take heart, you are not alone, and one way to help mitigate that is to develop some sort of connection with others in the 'same boat', so to speak, and have the odd get-together on each other's boats. This is something we Queenslanders have done a bit of in the past, and will try to keep doing if we can.* There must be some on here who are in Walt's locality, so maybe you want to try and link up more often.* Get each others cell phone numbers via PMs through this forum, and set some boat sharing outings up...that sort of thing.* Might help fan the flame a bit Walt...?* But please don't just give her away..

Peter, Your post along with others on this thread have reminded me of what a great forum this is. While we are internet "acquaintances", it is a little more than that. The open discussion in an effort to help Walt, shows more the helping out of a friend.*

Sure, many of us are in somewhat of "the same boat" so to speak.* Partnerships are about trade offs.* However, moving the boat to different locations does have the benefit of reviving interest for both partners.* New harbors, restaurants, cultures, and scenery can pick up the excitement.*
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #40
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea

Sometimes I get really mad at my Admiral because she started all this boat thing by herself. I had let go of anything in the boat having, fixing, or even looking way back in the 80's, and when we had our first three-year posting in Miami, she says "Hey, are we going to do the Miami thing or not"? I said: What do you mean the Miami thing? She says: You know.....buying a boat and enjoying the water. I responded: NO FRICKEN WAY......NO BOAT! Six weeks later I bought a Bayliner 2452, thinking that a few weeks on that boat would change her mind about doing the boat thing. Well, you know the rest of the story. Now, it's me that wants to do the cruising and she's worried that she'll go crazy being away from dirt. This is all her fault. I'm up to my neck in redoing every system on this boat, and now she says "I dunno". *Walt...my advice to you is to stay up in the mountains.**

-- Edited by healhustler on Tuesday 18th of October 2011 09:02:40 AM

healhustler is online now   Reply With Quote