Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2015, 02:57 AM   #181
Scraping Paint
City: -
Originally Posted by Cuttyhunk47 View Post
Can someone tell me about the seasons and is winter boating really realistic?
We boat year round and our 43 year old boat, having spent the first 25 years of it's life in California, has no built-in heat in it.

If you don't like gray days, short days in the winter, and rain you will not like it here. i grew up in Hawaii so I've had my fill of blue sky, sun, and warm weather. I absolutely love the weather here; before I moved here a friend who was from this area told me the skies are not gray, they're pewter. That's a good way to look at it. I appreciate the occasional sunny day but the more it's cloudy, rainy or snowy the better I like it.

What I don't like is wind as it screws up both boating and the kind of flying we do. And for whatver reason winters here seem to be gradually getting more windy. Other year-round boaters we know have observed the same thing. Climate change, I guess.

The region is getting more expensive, with Seattle and the cities east of Seattle-- Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, Sammamish, Issaquah, Woodinville, etc. leading the pack. Most of the higher paying jobs are in this core so the farther away from it one goes the less expensive housing becomes.

As for boating, particularly power boating, in my opinion there is no better region to cruise on the planet than the inside waters of the PNW/BC/SE Alaska coast. IF.... you like rugged, often remote country, big tides and fast currents, rocky shorelines and deep, cold water. If one likes warm water, blue skies and sandy beaches this is the wrong place to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	46354  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:24 AM   #182
City: Williamsburg
Marin stunning photo!

Tarrowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:20 PM   #183
Scraping Paint
City: -
It was taken a few years go in Desolation Sound by the husband of a couple we were cruising with. They always left first because their sailboat cruised under power at only 6 knots. So we'd catch up along the way, pass them, get to our next destination and get anchored so they could raft to us when they came in.

The photo below captures much of what I feel boating this coast is like. I took it just before sunset. The little troller is heading home at the north end of Johnstone Strait past the Pearse Group and Malcolm Island. The BC Coast Range on the mainland is in the distance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Running Home.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	46366  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:32 PM   #184
City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Keeping her happy is important. Make sure you read the Jetski manual about towing it. Some jetski designs will fill up with water under tow. Back when I had seadoos, I burned out the drive bearing one and towed it back with the other one. When we got back to the dock, it was riding low in the water, partially swamped.
HaHa I think I could tow a raft of Martinis and keep them upright, with olives intact on my fine vessel! I have a trawler donchano!
cappy208 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 07:19 AM   #185
City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
It's hard to get the bicycle to shore on a jet ski.
Google "Brompton".

Currently boatless but looking. Avatar is my first boat....Holland, 1965 ish.....
oscar is offline   Reply With Quote