I'm a Little Nervous

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
I had a girlfriend whose parents had a house on the beach just north of Depoe Bay. Oregon.
So, of course this is one of my desired stops along the coast this June.

I came across these three videos (watch the video first before you read the comments). Videos one and two are of the same boat and incident, from different perspectives):
:hide:

You've crossed multiple oceans. I have faith in you.

go into newport it's about 10 south of Depoe bay,,,, It's easier to get in and out of and has great marinas

Remember these videos when you read here that all the guy needs is a 7 knot vessel. Here is where I want the power and speed of an express cruiser.

The last time I got sea sick in life, decades ago was in Depoe Bay on a whale watching cruise doing about one knot up and down on swells. By the time I got back in, I was moments away from losing my lunch, fortunately that did not happen.

The coast guard vessel certainly showed how it should be done.

Do what surfers do. Sit and watch for a while to get some understanding of what the waves are doing before attempting to take them on.

The good news is you won’t waste a lot of time getting into and out of Depoe Bay. The bad news is the entry is very narrow, has a slight dog leg and is exposed to surge. That fishing boat had plenty of local knowledge and still got caught. Newport is definitely the better choice.

The coast guard vessel certainly showed how it should be done.

Do what surfers do. Sit and watch for a while to get some understanding of what the waves are doing before attempting to take them on.

I’d stay out further and count/distinguish at least three sets in a row before going in after the last big one. Probably wouldn’t sleep very well the night before!

When we came down the coast we skipped Depot Bay for that very reason and went into Newport instead. Newport was an easy entry and exit.

Last edited:
I would either get a Coast Guard boat or more likely--rent a car.

I would be nervous too... too much nervous to even try it to be honest :)

L

When we came down the coast we skipped Depot Bay for that very reason and went into Newport instead. Newport was an easy entry and exit.

I’d go there as well. If the only reason a skipper pulls into Depoe Bay is to put some sort of testosterone driven notch on a belt, I wouldn’t want to be aboard that boat.

Both of those boats look like they can throttle up to above 8 kts. I wouldn't run it.

Nobody cares that they cut 10 miles off of their run when the're hull is sitting on a shoal.

That’s better than 4 cups of coffee in the morning. If that doesn’t get the blood flowing nothing will.

I have never been there, and know nothing about the location except for the video which I have watched a few years ago and again today. I would bet the men and ladies who drive boats in and out are locals, worked their way up as deck hands, and have intimate knowledge. Working boats, so they have to push it sometimes when they may prefer to stay at the dock. Based on the limited knowledge I have about this location, I would say visitors have no reason to go there if there are other nearby options available as others have noted.

Actually a Lyft might get you over the bar!

Last edited:
Wifey B: You might be nervous about the mild risk. Perhaps the ex gf and her parents are what you really need to fear. :rofl:

I went to grad school in Oregon, a relatively short drive from the coast. I spent a lot of time in that area and many hours standing on the bridge over the entrance to Depot Bay watching. There is no way I would go in Depot Bay. I'm way too chicken. Part of it is that my top speed is about 11 knots. I'd feel better if I had more deltaV available and could access it quickly.

Actually my feelings are reflected in all of the above.
I think what will actually happen is that it will become moot.

I've been watching the west coast weather for more than a year. My bigger fear is being stuck either in-port or off-shore.

I've already made some tentative cruise plans. If winds are favorable I won't stop; if not, I'll stay in port.
Depoe Bay ends up on the list of nice to do, but can live without.
I will stop at Crescent City (no bar), fuel, and move on depending upon wx.

Astoria will be a more important stop.

Lastly, I still don't understand what the captain of that boat was thinking. He didn't use his power or rudder when he should have.
My Kadey Krogen has more than enough of both.
I like the challenge, but the risk seems excessive.

Stay tuned. We'll see how this plays out in a few weeks.

I have been on two whaling short cruises from Depot Bay and neither experienced conditions seen in the video, my way to say there are occasions of quiet water.

That looks like an inlet I would prefer to avoid. If I was going to try it, I think one hand would be on the bow thruster the whole way through. Probably faster to keep the bow centered in the channel.

Ted

https://youtu.be/WnaAkMa8J6k

We stayed at the Channel House in Depot Bay. This was the view from our balcony hot tub. Sometimes it is not that bad.

Depoe Bay has a well deserved reputation for being a difficult entrance. And once in you won't find a lot of dock space available.

Charlie's Charts US Pacific Coast is a very good resource for cruising the west coast and has this to say about Depoe Bay

"Unless you are very familiar with this entrance do not enter in rough weather or at night even though flood lights illuminate the passage to the inner basin. There is a dangerous surge in the narrow, curved 15m (50 ft) wide entrance. The vessel must wait for a period of smoother waves when entering to avoid being pushed onto the rocks on the south side. Then in order to pass under the bridge into the harbor apply power to avoid the surge effects"

Back
Top Bottom