Old 12-21-2014, 09:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm Going To Paint My Stack

What colour? I thought black...opinions, suggestion? Just don't suggest that I polish it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	35649  

Old 12-21-2014, 09:22 PM   #2
Guru

This...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	163
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	35650  

Old 12-21-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I think either red or maybe green?

Red was the first thing that popped into my head upon seeing the billowing flag though.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Red, White and Blue. Be like Leona Helmsley.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Why mess with work-a-day, rugged, hairy chested perfection?
Old 12-22-2014, 01:36 AM   #6
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Because you're in the north and presumably in the deep at some points, I'd suggest something bright and visible from the air. If the Coasties (or your Canadian version thereof) is looking for you, don't blend in with the ocean. Be distinctive.

Not white, and not blue. As I recall in the Fastnet post-race autopsy, the lifeboats that were orange were more likely to be found/rescued.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
Because you're in the north and presumably in the deep at some points, I'd suggest something bright and visible from the air. If the Coasties (or your Canadian version thereof) is looking for you, don't blend in with the ocean. Be distinctive.

Not white, and not blue. As I recall in the Fastnet post-race autopsy, the lifeboats that were orange were more likely to be found/rescued.
Yellow Orange is definitely the color for visibility.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:39 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
I think red would look good . I see how you launch your dinghy now . I like the mast setup .
Pack Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #9
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Send a message via Skype™ to siestakey
Very Kool boat I am thinking red send some closer pics
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Hi there,

Just wondering...

Gwaii Haanas (a most awesome vessel with no ostentatious *bling* that just oozes BC coast ruggedness I must say) is the closest hull design I've seen to either a Category B Dutch barge or a Great Harbour N47 that is plying BC waters here on TF.

How do you find its seakeeping qualities?

I would think that because of BC's long channels one would only occasionally take waves on the beam, and if a long crossing was in order one could either wait out bad weather or send out the paravanes and make the crossing quartering the waves 1/2 upwind, then 1/2 downwind.

Also...when making your way along a long channel into a stiff wind, do you find you punch straight into it or do you tend to send out the paravanes and zigzag your way through the oncoming waves?

Love your boat and can only imagine the adventures Gwaii Haanas had resupplying the remote Haida Watchmen camps on Haida Gwaii, and I'm sure you're having a great time as well

Murray
Old 12-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Something very eye-catching such as bright yellow. And while at it, why not similarly paint the pilothouse roof and its edge? Makes one's boat recognizable at long range (several miles).

Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #13

City: Vancouver BC
I would paint a lot more than just the stack. Check out Yellow Cat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Yellow Cat.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	35677  
West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #14
Guru

Gentlemen, your ideas are much-appreciated! Dave, I'm not sure that I'm a hazard to aircraft, although I have personally step-taxied float planes up many BC inlets in visibility too low to fly. Encountering Gwaii Haanas would have been an unpleasant surprise just as some fish boats were! In those condition, a strobe light would be better than paint!

I will definitely NOT be painting the superstructure. Although it's a good idea and would almost make the old lump look snazzy, the entire process and the maintenance of paint on aluminum, in fact part of the reason I bought this boat, would be negated.

As for her sea-keeping abilities, she is surprisingly good. She was not designed for the coast, she was built to service the reservoir on the Revelstoke Dam and did so for nearly 20 years. When she finished there, she was brought to the coast and when Parks Canada bought her, they changed the bow, added the hydraulics, a larger windlass, the freight crane, added four feet to her stern, added the stabilizer poles and repowerered her with the Cummins engine. She then spent 5 years thrashing back and forth across the Hecate Straits, travelling from Queen Charlotte City up and down to the new park on Haida Gwaii (Queen Charlotte Islands) servicing the watch stations and doing crew changes. She earned her rough water credentials even before I found her. Strangely enough, the stability poles were a CSI requirement in order to be used as a passenger ship. Judging by the dents in the side of the hull, the operators found it as difficult to retrieve the fish as I do. They removed them. They were lying on the deck when I bought her.

My rough water experience has been limited, thankfully, but I did get caught in a 35 knot Southeaster coming down Malaspina Strait where we had about 6 foot waves on the nose. She shot a lot of spray about but she was comfortable, did not roll too badly when we turned across the waves at 2 places; I did not think to deploy the stabilizers because once we were underway and I realized I had them(!) I didn't want anyone to go on deck. They weren't needed. The roll is not excessive and despite her hard chine, the recovery is not as snappy as my previous Grand Banks 32 was. Fair to say, this one is 20' longer and 3' wider but we didn't have to worry about getting smacked with a cupboard like you did in the 32 and all my unstowed tools stayed put on the workbench.

I suppose as she was a Forestry boat in her past I should plan something green but the jury is definitely out still.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM   #15
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
Strangely enough, the stability poles were a CSI requirement in order to be used as a passenger ship.
This sounds unlikely. Stabilizer poles do not affect stability, only motion. Someone is confusing stability and motion. Two different things. There are stability requirements in Transport Canada regulations but there are no motion requirements or limitations.
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #16
Guru

That sounds logical, Tad, I'm just repeating the oral history I learned. The original requirements were for Parks Canada? Maybe they required it, along with the refit that was done when they acquired it?

I was also thinking about the last time we went to Nanaimo, we quartered the swells/waves in a sort of tacking process, because of the way the wind was blowing I was getting water on the windows, which was a nuisance.

If anybody has ever been on a Spirit-class BC Ferry in a blow, that "bang shudder" they do is very similar in my boat. It must be a characteristic of metal boats?

Speaking of which, the Metal Boats site seems to have gone tits up. Presumably after Connall set sail?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
I am very partial to the RNLI 47' motor lifeboats. This feeling was greatly reinforced when I was given the opportunity to drive one several years ago during a patrol exercise in Morcambe Bay in the west of England. In fact they were the inspiration for a recently completed newbuild project in Europe.

I think their colour scheme makes for great visibility but still looks quite classy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sprit of Lowestoft.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	35679  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 02:48 PM   #18
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I will definitely NOT be painting the superstructure. Although it's a good idea and would almost make the old lump look snazzy, the entire process and the maintenance of paint on aluminum, in fact part of the reason I bought this boat, would be negated. ...
Doesn't even paint used by airlines (flying aluminum planes) have long-lasting qualities?
Old 12-22-2014, 03:02 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Doesn't even paint used by airlines (flying aluminum planes) have long-lasting qualities?

Yes, but the surface prep process, the multi-part paint itself (which is NOT off-the-shelf paint as many believe but is specially formulated by companies most people have never heard of and is mixed specifically for each application), and the application process costs more than a new Nordhavn. Probably a couple of new Nordhavns.........
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #20
Guru

Painting aluminum, then spraying it with salt water, is ok as long as the paint membrane is intact. If it fails, salt gets in, prevents oxygen from getting in, then you get pit corrosion and crevice corrosion. Look at any painted aluminum boat, you will see bubbling and blistering around non-welded fittings. That is why I am choosing to not paint, except for decoration. I thought I would polish her, but life's too short. Apologies if I have posted this before:
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	71
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	35680