I'm back from the Miami Boat Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wxx3

Dauntless Award
Vessel Name
Dauntless
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Hi Guys,

I'm back from the Data Embargo (I didn't want to go over 8 GB) and the Miami Boat Show.

I just did a new post also to my blog DauntlessatSea.Wordpress.com with a link to pictures of the Miami River at Winter 2013-14 Florida - Richard Bost

OK the juicy bits, I spent a full day at the Miami Boat Show. As opposed to boat shows I have attended in the past, this one was all business for me as I have a number of upgrades and changes that I want to get accomplished this spring before our Atlantic Passage in July.

Among the changes I am thinking about, planning or getting done:

• Paravanes (flopper stoppers), being fabricated now in Miami
• Wallas DT40 Diesel heater
• Bicycle for me to use in my travels
• Isolation transformer to convert 220V to 110 V
• K-30 Pentax Camera + zoom to be able to take better pictures and restart that old hobby
• High capacity alternator, so I also have a spare
• SSB HF radio
• Coastal Explorer great looking navigation software
• AIS Transponder, so you guys can track me and hopefully big ass ships will see me and not run us over
• AIS and VHF Ant, old VHF Ant is broken in any case
• Captain's license , can’t hurt and I will learn something I probably need to know
• Fridge and Freezer, it’s between two Italian companies, Isotherm and Vitrifrigo, with will cut my daily power consumption my 65%, making life on the hook better without the generator.
• Rogue Wi-Fi. So I have more choices for internet connectivity
• Village Water Watermaker
• Samsung Tablet will become third backup (actually my fourth, but who’s counting:socool:)
• and let me bring it with me wherever to monitor boat functions and its movements.
• Solar Panels on top of Pilot House

So, as you can see, I have my work cut out for me. Luckily, I have a lot of help in some really good friends, Paul, here in Miami, Richard from Providence (no, not me, another Richard) and Dave in Ft. Pierce, who is a true master of electrical and boat systems.

Also the guidance I have gotten form Larry and Marty have been really helpful in guiding me through these Krogen changes. Umm, maybe KK themselves, should put out more of an effort to assist current boat owners:ermm:

Just a thought. Don't worry though, I’ll have more:dance:

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you got a large wish list there, I hope it all comes to fruition.

What kind of bicycle are you looking at .I'm also thinking on a couple bikes for the boat . I bought 2 used folding bikes that I'm not real happy with.They were the cheaper model Dahon. I ride a mountain bike a work everyday . It's the best way to get around at a lumber yard.

Great post, Richard. I can't believe you actually found someone in Miami that knows anything about paravanes. Maybe it's my attitude, but I found it difficult to find anyone who really cared about (or even expected) quality service there. A few exceptions were Anchor Marine (Northern Lights) and Hopkins-Carter (Parks Masterson). Even when complaining, I had to do it in Spanish.

The two folding bike companies I'd check out,
Brompton and Bike Friday. My preference would be for BF as they have lifetime frame and are built in the US. From all my reseach great companies to work with. A bike truly built for its buyer. No affiliation just my opinion from observations from owners.

Make sure you have a good exhaust (chimney) draw on your Wallas 40...I know...I know it has a combustion blower but mine has been finicky for 2 years now and after eliminating just about everything else

My chimney doesn't have a good draw and because this is basically drip fed and not pressure fed...I think it's relavant...

Of course I wouldn't believe my brain surgery tips either...but nothing more frustrating than a heater that ignites well when it's warm and doesn't when it's bitter cold.

Other than getting it running when it's cold....it GREAT!!!!:D

Any questions with Captain's licensing...please feel free to PM me as I used to teach it and know some of the "insider" ropes....:thumb:

Great you had such a productive visit...

You will love the rouge WiFi. I just got mine up and running. What a difference!

Have fun,
Arch

First, thank you Larry. The checks in the mail.

Richard, you're in Miami and you haven't visited my store yet!
My feelings are hurt.

Seriously, if I can help with anything, don't hesitate to ask. I do have a little local knowledge about Miami.

Where are you keeping the boat?

I enjoyed your Miami River photos. The R.V. Coral Reef in your photos is the collection boat for the Shed Aquarium in Chicago.

Rogue Wifi was a great addition to our boat. I've pulled in Wifi as far as 4 miles away, but that's pretty much the limit. The advertised "up to 7 miles" is just not realistic.

We're just now getting used to our Samsung Note 8 and so far, so good. It's a good size for us...a compromise to include big enough to see yet small enough to easily carry around, even in a jacket pocket. NOAA charts works well on it for raster and vector charts.

Dauntless is in for some big improvements. You must have equally big plans for her in the near future. Best of luck on the projects!

Hi Guys,

I'm back from the Data Embargo (I didn't want to go over 8 GB) and the Miami Boat Show.

• Fridge and Freezer, it’s between two Italian companies, Isotherm and Vitrifrigo, with will cut my daily power consumption my 65%, making life on the hook better without the generator.

Richard;
Why have you choose those 2 units. I'm in the market or soon will be.

Thanks

Pics from the show

We did it in a day but just trying to have fun

Document.jpg

• Paravanes (flopper stoppers), being fabricated now in Miami
:

Just curious why many trawler owners still choose Paravanes over Stabilizers? Is it simply cost? Or avoiding potential problems that can occur with stabilizers? Or performance underway? Or all the above? Or something I've missed?

It truly boils down to money, engineering capability, and ease of use. our Naiad stabilizers have worked great but they are not cheap. A new set will cost you about $60k for a 50' boat which is twice what it cost when ours were installed ten years ago by a PO.

I like the para vane stabilizers on the Nordhavns for simplicity but your installation needs to be engineered correctly to avoid major structural issues with your hull when the para vanes are extended and you have a heavy sea. A lot of the Nordhavns have both systems at least up to 50'.

The new systems are interesting but I don't know enough to make comment about them except they are compact don't extend outside the boat but not sure what internal body work needs to take place for structural stability.

Last week we had a dolphin or another large size animal bounce off our starboard stabilizer or side area in the Sarasota area of the ICW. It was unnerving but no damage occurred and because I marked its location I was able to go back in the dingy and sounded the area to confirm it was not a piling etc which it wasn't.

It is always a little worrisome having those fins extend down from the hull in skinny water but that's why it's important to make sure they are engineered and installed correctly so as to not extend past the keel or outboard of your sides.

Lastly maintenance is important although only needed every several years it can cost a bit but after being caught in heavy seas overnight I am a firm believer in them.

It truly boils down to money, engineering capability, and ease of use. our Naiad stabilizers have worked great but they are not cheap. A new set will cost you about $60k for a 50' boat which is twice what it cost when ours were installed ten years ago by a PO.

I like the para vane stabilizers on the Nordhavns for simplicity but your installation needs to be engineered correctly to avoid major structural issues with your hull when the para vanes are extended and you have a heavy sea. A lot of the Nordhavns have both systems at least up to 50'.

The new systems are interesting but I don't know enough to make comment about them except they are compact don't extend outside the boat but not sure what internal body work needs to take place for structural stability.

Last week we had a dolphin or another large size animal bounce off our starboard stabilizer or side area in the Sarasota area of the ICW. It was unnerving but no damage occurred and because I marked its location I was able to go back in the dingy and sounded the area to confirm it was not a piling etc which it wasn't.

It is always a little worrisome having those fins extend down from the hull in skinny water but that's why it's important to make sure they are engineered and installed correctly so as to not extend past the keel or outboard of your sides.

Lastly maintenance is important although only needed every several years it can cost a bit but after being caught in heavy seas overnight I am a firm believer in them.

I do know also Nordhavn specifically and I'm sure others had a lot of stabilizer problems years ago. When they had their crossing in 2004 (I believe thats the year), that was the number one problem encountered. Now I think they were somewhat new in using stabilizers at that time or at least those type. We do have stabilizers, but I was wondering if there were other advantages I was not aware of.

I do know also Nordhavn specifically and I'm sure others had a lot of stabilizer problems years ago. When they had their crossing in 2004 (I believe thats the year), that was the number one problem encountered. Now I think they were somewhat new in using stabilizers at that time or at least those type. We do have stabilizers, but I was wondering if there were other advantages I was not aware of.

exactly and as gwkiwi said, it'a about being cost effective.

I like paravanes:
for their simplicity,
1/3 the installation cost
i can use them at anchor. Those are three biggies.

i don't like active stabilizers due to:
the initial cost,
they are always in the water (costing about 1/2 knot),
they are fragile (relative to fish). In the last 6000 miles of cruising, I have been hard aground three times, (i hope to reduce that number to one time in the coming year). I doubt AS would have survived those encounters (two times where at anchor).
Lastly, I have not read even one account of them being used 24/7 for more than a week and not breaking down.

Nuff said.

Thanks for sharing! Looks like you got a large wish list there, I hope it all comes to fruition.

After writing that list, i was really stressed out.:eek:
There is so much to do.:nonono:

Then i realized that Dauntless could pack up tomorrow and make the trip across the Atlantic. Would I have everything I want/ No. But she is ready and all those other things are just to keep me more comfortable.

So, i redid my list and added a column of must do now within next two months. The paravanes are number one, but once they are done, many of the other stuff is small.

So, is push came to shove, I can do the Wallas and Fridge in Europe this summer or even in the fall.:facepalm:

that made me feel much better and knowing that i was finally, actually getting the number one thing done, the paravanes, i now sleep much better.:D

What kind of bicycle are you looking at .I'm also thinking on a couple bikes for the boat . I bought 2 used folding bikes that I'm not real happy with.They were the cheaper model Dahon. I ride a mountain bike a work everyday . It's the best way to get around at a lumber yard.

I'm looking for a Dutch style bike, Just a old style Rayleigh (like I grew up with), They are simple and tough, but do want the electric option. With the Li battery, have seen some good one for about $900. As this will be my primary mode of transportation in Europe, I like the electric option to get me over hill and dale.

Attachments

• bike.jpg
    bike.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 102
Richard;
Why have you choose those 2 units. I'm in the market or soon will be.

Thanks

For me they fit best into the current space, as I have side by side, fridge and freezer that currently use 17 amps an hour (for Rick B, that's 204 watts) PLUS 3 (40 watts) for the Inverter.

Either of these (both use Danfoss BF35 Compressors) at max use 8.4 amps or should average around 5 amps, 60 watts.
So 244 watts vs 60 watts, or 1/4 the power consumption. This would virtually eliminate my need to run the gen while anchored.

Just curious why many trawler owners still choose Paravanes over Stabilizers? Is it simply cost? Or avoiding potential problems that can occur with stabilizers? Or performance underway? Or all the above? Or something I've missed?

Serviceability, simplicity and cost were the reasons we chose paravanes. Our cruising grounds are outside the US majority of the time. Repairs are easy, something I can do. After 12K miles with the paravanes deployed, we had 2 fish that broke and 1 swivel that failed and you never know what you'll catch. :)

Attachments

• Picture 379.jpg
    Picture 379.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 129
im curious about your last comment about kk helpfulness?Can you elaborate on that ,please.Ive always heard that kk was available to both new and old owners.

Do stabilizer fins affect hauling out using a cradle?
I watched and helped on a small tender running lines and acting as a tug, during multiple attempts to haul a wooden IG50 raised after recently sinking. This yard uses the "trial and error" method for hauling, the failure of multiple attempts was put down to the presence of stabilizer fins. Eventually a very large truck mounted crane was called in to haul her out.

Serviceability, simplicity and cost were the reasons we chose paravanes. Our cruising grounds are outside the US majority of the time. Repairs are easy, something I can do. After 12K miles with the paravanes deployed, we had 2 fish that broke and 1 swivel that failed and you never know what you'll catch. :)

What is that?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom