Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #1
Member
 
City: Boston
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
I'm back :)

Hi Everyone,

After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat.
I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area.
On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards.
Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now.
Happy to be back,
Phillip
__________________
Advertisement

MBA-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #2
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA-Sailor View Post
Hi Everyone, After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat. I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area. On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards. Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now. Happy to be back, Phillip
Welcome aboard. My vote is buy a trawler.
__________________

__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #3
Member
 
City: Boston
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Thanks Oliver!
Also wanted to mention - in a shameless attempt at inviting myself aboard... if anyone is in the Tampa area, and looking for experienced crew to take a ride on their boat for a day, I am available, and will bring food :-D
MBA-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #4
Guru
 
Off Duty's Avatar
 
City: Tampa
Country: USA
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 843
Welcome (back) aboard...from a fellow Tampan....(have to watch how you say that...)

OD
Off Duty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #5
Guru
 
healhustler's Avatar
 
City: Longboat Key, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA-Sailor View Post
Thanks Oliver!
Also wanted to mention - in a shameless attempt at inviting myself aboard... if anyone is in the Tampa area, and looking for experienced crew to take a ride on their boat for a day, I am available, and will bring food :-D
Yeah, uh....what about beer?
__________________
Larry

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Member
 
City: Boston
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Hi Larry,
I figured the beer goes without saying... food is the "above and beyond" item
MBA-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM   #7
Newbie
 
City: Van Horn
Country: USA
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 4
Sure you didn't just lose the boat. I thought florida and tampa were on the east coast
Seyfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #8
Member
 
City: Boston
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 8
Seyfer - it depends if you're facing north or south...

And, I meant the west coast of Florida
MBA-Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #9
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
Yeah, uh....what about beer?
I was more along the lines of coke cola. You know me.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:10 PM   #10
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
You next should be Tollycraft

Need I say more!?!?
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:55 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: Seattle
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA-Sailor View Post
Hi Everyone,

After being boat-less for about a year and a half, I have made the foolish decision of looking to buy another boat.
I sold my Marine Trader 43 in Boston in late 2012, and am now in Florida (West Coast), and looking for a boat here in the area.
On the fence wether I should get a trawler, a sport fish, or a small trailerable walk-around with outboards.
Still weighing the pros and cons for each... but thinking something smaller than a 43' might be the right option for me, now.
Happy to be back,
Phillip

Welcome back to boating. We sold our boat in May, intending to take a couple of years off--my wife says I started looking again the next day--well almost maybe, but we bought our new, used boat in August. Never be without a boat--it just ain't natural!
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:05 PM   #12
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
You next should be Tollycraft

Need I say more!?!?
Art,

Did Tollycraft make diesel-powered models? All Tollys I've seen, and that's not too many, have been gas.
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:18 PM   #13
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 15,877
Tollycraft built two generations of 48 Motor Yachts. The original version, in production from 1976 to 1986, was updated only slightly in 1991, when a few styling changes were made to the flybridge. The 48′s original 320 hp Caterpillar diesels

Tollycraft 48 Motor Yacht - Articles - boats.com


Engine Information
Manufacturer: Caterpillar E Type: Inboard Model: 3208T Fuel Type: Diesel Horse Power Year Approx. Hours Condition Overhaul Hours O/H Date #1 260 1986 3162 Original #2 260 1986 3162 Original

http://www.yachtcouncil.com/Used/44'...o&vessel=86615
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:32 PM   #14
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Art,

Did Tollycraft make diesel-powered models? All Tollys I've seen, and that's not too many, have been gas.
Yup! A few 34'ers, sedan cockpit and tri cabin sun deck, came special order factory equipped with diesels. Some of same models/size repowered to diesel. Most that size and nearly all shorter lengths came w/ gas engines. 37' and 40'ers were a mix... mostly gas I believe. 43', 44' and 45'ers were also a mix... lending toward diesel the longer they got. 48' came nearly all diesels. Any larger and I believe they were pretty much all diesel. That said; many Tolly of most sizes mentioned have had either engine rebuilds or replacements.

Tollycraft are exceptionally well designed and sturdy built boats. As with all aged classics... survey/reason to purchase one now relies heavily on care it was given by all previous owners!

IMHO - Go Tolly GO!! YRMV - lol
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:37 PM   #15
TF Site Team
 
FlyWright's Avatar
 
City: California Delta and SF Bay
Country: Sacramento, CA, USA (boat in Vallejo)
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 10,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Yup! A few 34'ers, sedan cockpit and tri cabin sun deck, came special order factory equipped with diesels. Some of same models/size repowered to diesel. Most that size and nearly all shorter lengths came w/ gas engines. 37' and 40'ers were a mix... mostly gas I believe. 43', 44' and 45'ers were also a mix... lending toward diesel the longer they got. 48' came nearly all diesels. Any larger and I believe they were pretty much all diesel. That said; many Tolly of most sizes mentioned have had either engine rebuilds or replacements.

Tollycraft are exceptionally well designed and sturdy built boats. As with all aged classics... survey/reason to purchase one now relies heavily on care it was given by all previous owners!

IMHO - Go Tolly GO!! YRMV - lol
Thanks!
__________________
Al

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
Master and Commander
 
markpierce's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo CA
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Welcome aboard. My vote is buy a trawler.
Bliss moves at six knots:

__________________
Kar-KEEN-ez Koot
markpierce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:56 PM   #17
Guru
 
N4712's Avatar
 
City: South FL
Country: U.S.A
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Bliss moves at six knots:
7.3 for us.
__________________
Thanks, Oliver
M/V Oliver
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Guru
 
City: Hotel, CA
Country: Fried
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Bliss moves at six knots:
But only at idle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-394283026.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	26937  
__________________
Craig

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:44 AM   #19
Art
Guru
 
Art's Avatar
 
City: SF Bay Area
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,979
5.5 to 5.75 knots on one engine at approx 2.75 nmpg

6.5 to 6.75 knots w/ twins at approx 2 nmpg (7.58 knots is our Tolly’s calced hull speed – there it’s approx 1.5 nmpg – might as well plane out to next speed mentioned)

16 to 17 knots at approx 1 nmpg

21 to 22 knots WOT at OMG??? mnpg!! Never go there except for emergency short burst or to check motors. Visited WOT 3 times in 5.5 yrs. Once during orig sea trials for a clocked 3 minutes. Once to get da hell out of a boating mess while ushering The Maltese Falcon into SF Bay, for maybe 1.5 minutes. And, once for 60 seconds +/- to race a friend... he quickly won in his 27' Fountain 90 mph speedester! LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TO in Delta Tules 100_0429.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	26938  
__________________

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:38 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012