Illegal Charters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No you do not because it is HIGHLY regulated and policed...which is what you are advocating against.

I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I support the regulations that are in place for commercial boating, airlines, etc. And I support policing and enforcement of those regs. I think the only issue with the original boating topic is inadequate policing of the existing laws. Its seems that some people are blatantly violating those laws, so better enforcement is needed. If the boating regs were policed the way airline regs are policed, I expect the article would never have been written.

On that issue David I'd say totally off base but a nice straw man. Much like this forum, only a complete moron makes a decision based on one data point. 1 review is meaningless, 100 starts to paint a picture.

Not true. Not only can individuals sue, but where the injury is minor, class actions can be brought. And the penalties for intentional fraud can be severe. It is worth noting that one of the best defenses cigarette companies had is that they complied with all governmental regulation.

Again, free market to the rescue -- consumers can hire an expert to sort it all out. The free market isn't perfect, but it beats the pants off any alternative and is single-highhandedly responsible for the great wealth our economy produced in the last century. Time to make America great again.

But regulations stipulating the allowable religion of visa applicants is OK?

Yet we shouldn't regulate the qualifications of the guy who is going to cut you open to re-plumb your heart?

On that issue David I'd say totally off base but a nice straw man. Much like this forum, only a complete moron makes a decision based on one data point. 1 review is meaningless, 100 starts to paint a picture.

I get your point and agree with it. Unfortunately, there are lots of complete morons out there reading, and writing, reviews.

Once again, regulation is the root of the problem.

In this case, you are correct. HIPPA has created a bunch of problems. OTOH, it allows for patients medical records to be confidential and not be shared with anyone without the express permission of the patient. That is a good thing. It also makes it clear that the patient has a right to their own records, also a good thing.

I get your point and agree with it. Unfortunately, there are lots of complete morons out there reading, and writing, reviews.

I agree completely.

For example Amazon. I read and leave feedback. I can suss out a moron quite easily, they typically are to stupid to read directions and leave some poorly written one star review that makes you shake your head. However if I read several well written cogent reviews claiming the product was not as advertised or returns where reluctantly handled, first of all Amazon would likely have booted them already but on the odd case this is a new issue I can avoid the problem by finding a well regarded provider.

I'll save the forum my medical sob story but suffice it to say had I bothered going on Yelp I'd have saved myself from a completely predictable and avoidable outcome. I filed complaints with both the healthcare network and the state and nothing happened. I went on yelp and found I was far from alone. That's as far as I'm willing to publicly discuss.

But regulations stipulating the allowable religion of visa applicants is OK?

From a legal perspective -- I don't know as it has been years since I studied Constitutional law. In general, I don't believe any foreigner enjoys any constitutional protection when not on US soil, let alone First Amendment Protections. From a moral perspective -- doesn't bother me at all if it is rationally considered useful to protect US citizens. Imagine a religion that advocated truly abhorrent things. In that context, I hope you would agree, there is nothing immoral about saying that religion is culturally incompatible with our secular culture. America first.

Yet we shouldn't regulate the qualifications of the guy who is going to cut you open to re-plumb your heart?

No, I don't think it is any of your business whom I hire to cut me open. Nor do I think it is any of my business, as a Californian, what minimum wage is paid in Florida.

I think you are mixing me up with someone else. I support the regulations that are in place for commercial boating, airlines, etc. And I support policing and enforcement of those regs. I think the only issue with the original boating topic is inadequate policing of the existing laws. Its seems that some people are blatantly violating those laws, so better enforcement is needed. If the boating regs were policed the way airline regs are policed, I expect the article would never have been written.

They are being violated in the aviation business, too. And there's a fair amount of illegal charters as well as blatantly violations in the airline business. (and other regulated businesses, like banking, insurance, etc.) The marine world doesn't have an exclusive.

In this case, you are correct. HIPPA has created a bunch of problems. OTOH, it allows for patients medical records to be confidential and not be shared with anyone without the express permission of the patient. That is a good thing. It also makes it clear that the patient has a right to their own records, also a good thing.

Yes, it's a good thing, but it's being violated all the time. I have an issue probably once a year, which is too often.

From a legal perspective -- I don't know as it has been years since I studied Constitutional law. In general, I don't believe any foreigner enjoys any constitutional protection when not on US soil, let alone First Amendment Protections. From a moral perspective -- doesn't bother me at all if it is rationally considered useful to protect US citizens. Imagine a religion that advocated truly abhorrent things. In that context, I hope you would agree, there is nothing immoral about saying that religion is culturally incompatible with our secular culture. America first.

MY,

Agree, and we still give foreigners the right to operate their boats and planes in our country, and we can usually do likewise.

Whoopsy daisy!!! Sorry about that. I am getting you and MYT mixed up because of similar avatars!!!

But it can be taken to absurd levels in the other direction, too. We have seen some of that.

I think new boaters see CG regulations as excessive, but they do tend to grow on you. I readily got myself into jackpots boating, and did learn from them a lot about myself. Was I boating or just drinking? Is boating not enough on an afternoon, that I viewed it like going to the pub?

I'm a risk taker and oblivious too often of common sense, but I make my living as an entrepreneur, so I hear my own counsel before others'.

Nonetheless, I have detected some osmosis over the years, for at least baseline regulations and must confess I support them wholeheartedly.

First, there are too many out there who remind me of my past. I didn't take fire seriously enough and was lucky my gas boats and I didn't evaporate together. I spent a night in hospital from monoxide poisoning (rubber exhaust hose..) Today I would be ashamed to take out family or anyone out if the fire extinguishers and life jackets weren't right, and much more than that.

My point is this caution and care emerges in boaters with experience, and boating education, and I credit yacht clubs and exemplary boaters with teaching us some standards, for generations. Just identifying the proper state of affairs for boating, as this forum probably does more than any similar means, underwrites my feeling that "Boater - regulate thyself" should be our baseline. And know what's proper.

"If it was left up to the "free market" without any sort of licensing, it would be raining aluminum and bodies. I do understand where you are coming from. But you are taking it to the extreme here and not being realistic at all. __________________"

As a single small commercial aircraft (737) is $100 MILLION + the airlines could hardly afford to purchase new equipment daily.

The best source of regulations would be the Free Market as the insurers would be far more diligent , as its their bucks at risk.

Same for housing , hardly a need for a building dept when we could have a number of construction grades for a home.

#1 secure in 140K Florida summer breeze, #10 house trailer.

The insurance folks would be quite careful in seeing ratings are proper.
its their bucks at risk.

Andrew which uncovered very sub standard (tho bldg dept inspected) would have been a far smaller disaster,

Follow da money!

I think that a licensed captain, a USCG inspected vessel where required and full liability insurance is necessary to protect the public. Otherwise a guy who has only operated a bass boat on weekends can be the captain, the boat might not have working fire extinguishers and when something does go wrong, there will be no insurance to cover it.

But hey maybe this will be one of the many regulations that Trump will abolish. Just let the market take care of these problems, right!!!

David

While good, even that is not enough to protect the public, they take your money and you take your chances.
Costa Concordia wreck which saw deaths of 32 when it sank is towed to last berth | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom