I'll get to it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Anybody like me? I have a bunch of things in boxes. Some new, some used.*
Things.
Boat stuff.
And then there is the spare stuff. Heck I even have spare parts for the stuff I haven't installed yet
*Things I just can't seem to find the time to install or am afraid to start.

I think most of the time I just want to play with the boat.
I hate to plan something and then the weather is perfect,*
*So what do you do work or play?

Better yet what do you plan on installing next.

SD

Digital voltmeter, oil change system, repair windlass, fix rudder log. Don't have time to use the boat.

Don't even ask! Just getting started.

Sat I'm going to haul the Willy, pressure wash, pull the prop and stern bearing. Measure and try to get one flown out from Ketchikan. Drill and tap 2 additional set screw holes in the keel above the existing SS holes. Dimple the new or old bearing to match the new holes. May give the old bearing (if I can't get new) a coat of fast drying paint to make it fit more snugly. Install old or new prop. Do a few other things like change zincs in heat exchanger ect ect. Paint bottom w Pettit $85 bottom paint (they have stacks of gallons at JT Brown's store) so it seems that's what most of the guy's (fishermen) use. See Marin and Peter B .. sometimes I do as others do. Mike White (as in Sunchaser) gave me some acid stuff to take off the brown stain on the bow ..so will do that too. And then change my sea water pump impeller and no I don't see the need to have a Speed Seal cover and since I'm here, no I disagree w the poster that says it dosn't matter which way one installs the vanes. Why stress the little buggars so much when all one has to do is engage the brain a few seconds to do it right. Then I'm going to consider keeping the Willy in Craig for a month or maybe all winter.

Eric Henning

Hiya,
** Mr. Dude...Had a new gas stove sitting in the saloon for the last two years to replace the electric stove.* Finally got it installed last month.**

RTF,Did you install the pressure regulator outside the cabin? Very soon we will be installing the tank and plumbing. The stove has been installed for at least a year.

Willy,
I just got 4 years out of my Pettit "Horizons" bottom paint here in the at times very warm waters of the Chesapeake.

LUCY will be getting a new pilot house roof this winter.

The huge hatch over the engine is sealed , and that was fine in Maine for lobster folks.

In FL an opening hatch would be nice, and an RV air cond will be installed , after the overhead is rebuilt to handle the weight.

Most likely the overhead hatch will be a sliding door section , dual glass (in FL) so easier to create hinged either end and screen another requirement.

Hiya,
** Mr. Willy, YES, both the regulator and distribution switch (have 2 horizontal tanks) are mounted in a "vented" (hopefully vented enough) locker outside the main cabin.* Have mounted a leak detector in close proximity to the tanks/regulator (Home - Fireboy-Xintex).* Have the PR152 regulator and the S-2A sensor unit.* The *ONLY joint inside the cabin is at the rear of the appliance.* Control panel for the fuel shut off solenoid and the alarm is mounted in an easy to see/access location at the lower station.* Everything seems to work as designed thus far.* One thing I did do was use panel mount fuses (1A) beside the control unit instead of the suggested in line fuses.*Don't really like in line fuses, particularily if you*have to crawl under the dash to check/change.**
** Hope this helps...

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 6th of August 2010 05:14:39 AM

-- Edited by RT Firefly on Friday 6th of August 2010 05:14:59 AM

One thing I have done is to install a L.E.D. indicator light right above every switch.
I got a deal on the little buggers.
Most of my switches are the pull on type.
This way if a switch is on I can tell at a glance.*
Comforting to know I didn't leave something on all night .

SD

nomadwilly wrote:Did you install the pressure regulator outside the cabin?

Eric: My propane bottle & regulator are installed outside the cabin, in the cockpit box on the port side.

Attachments

• gas bottle.jpg
    gas bottle.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 88
Let see... where to begin. Start with 1975 Marine Trader that wasn't designed worth crap.
Then!
1. Repair outside of house and flybridge.... done!
2. Remodel aft state room.... Done.
3. Remodel aft head....Done.
4. Remodel fwd head... In progress.
5. Replace water tanks... Done.
6. Rebuild 3 rotted stringers in engine room....DONE!
7. Refurb all engine accessories. starter,alternator,cooling ..Done.
8. Overhaul transmission... almost done, need 2 more gaskets.
9. Paint outsid... Got first 2 coats of paint on the house. too hot to pain now.
And the list goes on. As you can see a complete refurb takes alot of time when
you are doing it all by yourself, plus full time employed. I didn't even mention all
the other little things that has been done so far. Major things to go are new prop shaft,
bottom job and plumbing. Then it will be little detials like installing lights, fly bridge controls
and such. I have been working on this for about 3 years now and I think the end is finally
beginning to appear on the horizion. Last really BIG item is what the *&%%$@ do I do
with the rusty fuel tanks?
I hav pix I have to resize and will post later.

We're Having Fun Now!

Back
Top Bottom