Old 03-22-2019, 07:31 AM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
If You Ever Wondered...

What was at the bottom of your hot water tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190321_091455194.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	86636  

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. How often, if ever, do you change your tank anodes? Just replaced our HWT and the literature states the anodes should be checked on a yearly basis and changed when below a certain dimension. I suppose, when necessary, I'll have to figure out the replacement process but there was nothing in the instructions on how to accomplish this and it was NOT terribly evident...

Old 03-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

City: Reedville, VA
Vessel Model: Beals Island lobster boat
RT - I'm looking at this right now. What kind of tank do you have. My Seaward 6 gal shows a drain bib, but states the owner can remove the drain bib and install an anode in that location. If the anode is installed, then it is unscrewed to drain and inspect.

Menzies - that's some nasty stuff, did that come out during a normal tank draining process??
Bkay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Raymond NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Wow, they put pressure treated decking them? Who woulda guessed? :-)

Thanks for posting, those deposits are interesting. Have you figured out what mineral they are? I have no clue how to do that, but I'm guessing there are simple ways using common household chemicals to figure it out. Might be a great way to figure out how to prevent them.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. Bk. I replaced our leaking HWT with exactly the same make and model that was in there (https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...ct.do?pid=9385)
Evidently this model is now obsolete but was able to get NOS from WM.
NO heat exchanger connected to engine. Just a simple 2 nipple tank and a third orifice for the relief valve. No "drain bib" that I can see. The installation instructions suggest a "T" in the cold water inlet for draining purposes.

I just checked anode replacement instructions and it's not as hard as I thought. http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/upl...er-version.pdf
Old 03-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #6
Enigma

Greetings,

Mr. MM. Re: post #4. I suspect the deposits may be akin to those mentioned in this post: Does anybody know what these are from my fresh water tank? or some form thereof...
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #7
Guru

RT, it was only when troubleshooting my issue that I saw the instructions on putting an anode in where the drain bib is. Will look to do that when I get home from this trip. This could be, in fact, the reason the heater went belly up. Though it is 16 years old (if original to the boat).

I suspect this all calcium deposits.

I had a recent issue with our washing machine screaming like a banshee. I took the back off to see what belt needed replacing to find it was direct drive. Researching the issue one suggestion was to simply remove the water inlet hose and check the filter for calcium stones. Which I found - the pump pulling water past the balls is what was making the screeching sound!

Now I know where those balls came from!

I need to read my new manual to see how I can prevent this calcium build up - if I even can. The drain bib is about three or four inches above the bottom of the tank, so unless I can remove it and get a drain hose in there I have no idea how that happens!
Old 03-22-2019, 09:24 AM   #8
Guru

From the manual.

"Due to the placement of the drain valve, approximately two quarts of water will remain in the tank. Sediment collects in this remaining water. To remove it, flush the tank with either air or water.
Whether using air or water pressure, it may be applied through the water inlet or outlet. The pressure will force out the remaining water and sediment."