If You Ever Wondered...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
What was at the bottom of your hot water tank!

Attachments

• IMG_20190321_091455194.jpg
    IMG_20190321_091455194.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 73
Greetings,
Mr. m. How often, if ever, do you change your tank anodes? Just replaced our HWT and the literature states the anodes should be checked on a yearly basis and changed when below a certain dimension. I suppose, when necessary, I'll have to figure out the replacement process but there was nothing in the instructions on how to accomplish this and it was NOT terribly evident...

RT - I'm looking at this right now. What kind of tank do you have. My Seaward 6 gal shows a drain bib, but states the owner can remove the drain bib and install an anode in that location. If the anode is installed, then it is unscrewed to drain and inspect.

Menzies - that's some nasty stuff, did that come out during a normal tank draining process??

Wow, they put pressure treated decking them? Who woulda guessed? :)

Thanks for posting, those deposits are interesting. Have you figured out what mineral they are? I have no clue how to do that, but I'm guessing there are simple ways using common household chemicals to figure it out. Might be a great way to figure out how to prevent them.

Greetings,
Mr. Bk. I replaced our leaking HWT with exactly the same make and model that was in there (https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=9385)
Evidently this model is now obsolete but was able to get NOS from WM.
NO heat exchanger connected to engine. Just a simple 2 nipple tank and a third orifice for the relief valve. No "drain bib" that I can see. The installation instructions suggest a "T" in the cold water inlet for draining purposes.

I just checked anode replacement instructions and it's not as hard as I thought. http://raritaneng.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Replacing-Anode-L440-customer-version.pdf

RT, it was only when troubleshooting my issue that I saw the instructions on putting an anode in where the drain bib is. Will look to do that when I get home from this trip. This could be, in fact, the reason the heater went belly up. Though it is 16 years old (if original to the boat).

I suspect this all calcium deposits.

I had a recent issue with our washing machine screaming like a banshee. I took the back off to see what belt needed replacing to find it was direct drive. Researching the issue one suggestion was to simply remove the water inlet hose and check the filter for calcium stones. Which I found - the pump pulling water past the balls is what was making the screeching sound!

Now I know where those balls came from!

I need to read my new manual to see how I can prevent this calcium build up - if I even can. The drain bib is about three or four inches above the bottom of the tank, so unless I can remove it and get a drain hose in there I have no idea how that happens!

From the manual.

"Due to the placement of the drain valve, approximately two quarts of water will remain in the tank. Sediment collects in this remaining water. To remove it, flush the tank with either air or water.
Whether using air or water pressure, it may be applied through the water inlet or outlet. The pressure will force out the remaining water and sediment."

Back
Top Bottom