Old 05-20-2015, 09:16 PM   #21
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
I could get my dreamboat for a lot less than a million. Unfortunately, my ex admiral cost a lot more than a $million.

Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 PM   #22
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet steadysailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
I could get my dreamboat for a lot less than a million. Unfortunately, my ex admiral cost a lot more than a $million.

Ouch. My condolences.

cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:04 PM   #23
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
A KK, though beautiful is a couple's boat.
Whoa - I missed the memo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to be the exception.

Richard
Stillwater
KK 54 (singlehanding)
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #24
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Doubt a boat with quadruple the space and price would return anything near quadruple the enjoyment for two people.

Besides, a much larger boat introduces negatives such as higher operating/maintenance costs and less likelihood of single-handed handling.
Old 05-21-2015, 12:55 AM   #25
Guru

While the big KKs and NH in the megabuck price range are nice boats you all should note that those with the chips are not all thrilled with the big bulky trawler types. My two cents; boats like the big KK and NH have relatively narrow use sweet spots. Perhaps if you had the $ and were used to spending on big tag items you might become more applicative of other options. Best not to lust for a boat but to try an honest match of use pattern to design and abilities of a boat. I believe it is in reality a lot easier to say that then actually do it.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:29 AM   #26
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
As the new owner of a "big bulky trawler" I should probably throw in my 2 cents.

I agree that the "sweet spot" for these boats is fairly narrow. I have no doubt that when it comes time to sell Stillwater it will take a while to find the right buyer. I am hoping that this will be a long time in the future. I read a lot about trawlers before my purchase - the common theme was "buy a boat that fits your needs now and not what you think you might possibly do one day in the future." Along similar lines I read "don't buy a boat designed to cross oceans if you're not going to cross oceans." I still think that is good advice.

In my case, I spent the last 15 years with a sailboat. I have taken her up and down the California coast, much of the time single handing. When I moved to a trawler I wanted a boat that I could do the same thing with. I wanted a boat that could take anything the California coast could throw at it. Additionally, I wanted a boat that I could comfortably live aboard long term. I have no desire to get places quickly - for me it's as much about the journey as the destination. I am already single handing my KK54 and plan to do much more unless I happen to meet someone else who wants to do it with me. This coming weekend I'll be single handing her out of the Golden Gate and up to Drakes Bay (Point Reyes). I was there on the trip down from Alaska last month - and was the only boat in the entire bay - that's a treat in itself.

I'm sure that it's not for everyone - or many people at all. If you plan to stay in protected waters then I'm sure there are better choices. However, my trip from Alaska to San Francisco reinforced that for me it's the right boat. It's not so much about "quadruple the enjoyment" or "quadruple the space," it's more about the right boat for me. Coming from a sailing background and with my usage that meant sea-keeping ability trumped all else.

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:58 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyschulman View Post
Sorry I would have to pass on that boat. Insufficient support for the anchor platform and too much freeboard.
To say nothing of the fact that it's an awful lot of money to pay for the privilege of creeping around like a glacier in a displacement boat.. The formula in my math book is "more money equals more speed."
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 05:28 AM   #28
Guru

City: Oneida Lake, NY
Vessel Name: Radio Flyer
Vessel Model: Wilderness Systems Aspire 105
I'd buy you a K car, a nice Reliant automobile.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:54 PM   #29
Guru

City: St. Pete, FL
Vessel Name: Seaweed
Vessel Model: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannia View Post
Whoa - I missed the memo. Oh well, I guess I'll have to be the exception.
Point taken.

Still, in my view a boat as large as yours to be maintained, kept clean, upgraded, etc. well, I'd want help. Let me restate: "For me although wonderful, a KK is too large."

You're encouraged to continue to be exceptional.