Old 04-15-2016, 10:21 AM   #81
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
stronoway7,
Really like that 1st picture.

dannc,
Most really odd things are a fad that will pass. The owners probably sold them and bought boats more like the Hatt. And there are very few multihull boats.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:40 AM   #82
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I would choose to cross in a Fleming 65 or 78 over a KK 42 any day and that is not a slam against the KK 42. Now, I personally wouldn't choose to cross in either. Still, I know enough about Fleming and it's proven passagemaking to feel comfortable. So you can have your ideal and I'll have mine.

My actual ideal would be a 164' Westport.

BandB,
Prolly never should have mentioned hard chines .... and made assumptions about the Fleming's hull form aft. Most similar boats however have a big flat and wide deeply emersed stern that is easy for a sea to lift up and toss around. Hard chine boats w an appropriate QBBL aft are very seaworthy if otherwise propperly designed. Countless fish boats are of that form. But I don't think the Fleming has the appropriate QBBL.

I was kinda hoping someone would pop up a picture.

Old 04-15-2016, 01:10 PM   #83

City: Bainbridge Island
Delta 70's are pretty stout boats. There are two for sale in Seattle, here is one of them:

1988 Delta Marine Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The other one is 2.6m. I have been on Sea Lion, very nice. I have 7,000 ocean miles as crew on a Delta 70, although I haven't crossed an ocean unfortunately. The boats are built for it, no doubt.
JustBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:14 PM   #84
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Stornaway, I have always had a soft spot for those Cheoy Lee 66s. To me they are more like small ships, and the layout and engine room are great. In my next incarnation, if I'm born a bit richer than this time round, I think I'll buy one.
I'm a Cheoy Lee fan in general. They make boats for all purposes. A huge shipyard and manufacturing facility and one of the very few builders in the world that builds with all materials. Huge complex where the employees live on site, including the managers and executives.

They are a well run company that builds good, solid boats, built for various purposes. Their Serenity 68 would be much the current incarnation of the 66's.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:17 PM   #85
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
BandB,
Prolly never should have mentioned hard chines .... and made assumptions about the Fleming's hull form aft. Most similar boats however have a big flat and wide deeply emersed stern that is easy for a sea to lift up and toss around. Hard chine boats w an appropriate QBBL aft are very seaworthy if otherwise propperly designed. Countless fish boats are of that form. But I don't think the Fleming has the appropriate QBBL.

I was kinda hoping someone would pop up a picture.
You probably shouldn't make assumptions about a boat you know little about. I'll go on the basis of their proven record of seaworthiness.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #86
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Only touched upon but the reality. - desires of the owner, capability of crew, budget and schedule/time allowed to upend one's life and blue water travel are the biggest decisions to be made IMHO. Many good boats with after life complications.

Seeing smaller (50 to 80 feet) blue water power boats that are fairly new and now on the market is an interesting phenomena. Whether Northern Marine, Dashew, Nordhavn or Cape Horn there are lots of choices to consider. But who needs that expenditure and capability if the above reality items are brought into play. Not too many.

My wife and I came close to finalizing purchase on one or the other of the above mentioned vessels. But we could not get our head around what is the game plan when 3 or so years of world wide cruising come to an end.

For those with no family, unlimited funds, youth and good health the answer is obvious, blue water cruise forever. But how many fit this mode? Not too many and that is why capable and expensive but the dream has ended vessels are on the market - all the time. High turnover goes with the territory.

So while fussing over whose is best is tantalizing, the reality of the decision is in a quite different arena.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:23 PM   #87

City: SanFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
I am kinda surprised that many are for sale. Sara Sara was/is for sale too.

At least one of the boats is being sold since the owners are buying one of the larger FPBs.
Your'e right - Sara Sara still for sale here (see below). I wonder if the 64 is just the ugly ducking of the range.

I think Dashew is finally paying a little more attention to the exterior esthetics and the newer designs are starting to look better.

Perhaps the 64 is just too small for the price?

It seems unusual that so many of these first run boats are all being for sale at the same time after 5 years of use. (then again, the average length of time a house is held is only 7 years, so perhaps not so unusual, and some of the users are moving up to the larger FPB lines).

Sarah-Sarah, an FPB 64 – Black Swan Yachts
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:42 PM   #88
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
It seems unusual that so many of these first run boats are all being for sale at the same time after 5 years of use.
Not so, re-read Sunchasers most excellent post directly above yours. The answer is in the last 3 paragraphs.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:02 PM   #89

City: SanFran
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Not so, re-read Sunchasers most excellent post directly above yours. The answer is in the last 3 paragraphs.
Thanks - that all makes sense I guess. I guess I'm thinking of how I could keep it for 10 or 15 years or longer - but that must be far from reality for most people.
LRC58Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #90
Guru

Quote:
You probably shouldn't make assumptions about a boat you know little about. I'll go on the basis of their proven record of seaworthiness.
I'm probably right but post some pics and show that I am wrong. May not work though as we may still disagree.

And since most of the boats on here I'm not directly familar with and the average guy would be familar w fewer than that.

Does the Fleming have more deadrise than a Classic GB?

Old 04-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #91
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
I'm probably right but post some pics and show that I am wrong. May not work though as we may still disagree.

And since most of the boats on here I'm not directly familar with and the average guy would be familar w fewer than that.

Does the Fleming have more deadrise than a Classic GB?
You missed my entire point. You want to cite your definitions of science and examine the bottom, and look at pics. I cite their continued success and record of oceanic cruising. Not one boat, not one owner, not one set of conditions. I've had conversations with Fleming owners, all praising their boats and many having been through some incredibly rough conditions.

You have zero basis for your assumptions other than looking at pictures of the boat from the back.

I don't have a need to prove it to you, as one most certainly could never do so.

But I base mine on statements like these following too.
Our Fleming 55, 'ANDANTE,' is just over four years old now and has completed 21,500 nm of ocean cruising around the East coast of Australia and overseas. This includes nine 700 nm passages through the notorious Bass Strait located between the SE corner of Australia and Tasmania. Passing through the Strait is always a challenge and an exercise in weather watching and timing. The extreme weather that comes in from the Southern Indian Ocean - one stretch is ominously named 'The Shipwreck Coast' because it presents a lee shore to all shipping and is a coastline dotted with many shipwrecks.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM   #92
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRC58Fan View Post
Thanks - that all makes sense I guess. I guess I'm thinking of how I could keep it for 10 or 15 years or longer - but that must be far from reality for most people.
Reality for perhaps 98+% of boat owners is they will never spend more than $50K on a single boat in their life. That's why I find arguing over the cost of premium blue water pedigreed boats to be humorous. I'm willing to bet the average TF member won't have $100K wrapped up in their rig. Don't get me wrong as I know full well there's members here that as a practical matter do not have a "budget" per se(several come to mind) and I love living vicariously through them. Plenty of room at this forum for all budgets.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:11 PM   #93
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Reality for perhaps 98+% of boat owners is they will never spend more than $50K on a single boat in their life. That's why I find arguing over the cost of premium blue water pedigreed boats to be humorous. I'm willing to bet the average TF member won't have $100K wrapped up in their rig. Don't get me wrong as I know full well there's members here that as a practical matter do not have a "budget" per se(several come to mind) and I love living vicariously through them. Plenty of room at this forum for all budgets.
Arguing about the price of fantasies is a bit humorous. This thread wasn't intended to reflect what one might actually ever buy.

As to "budget," I'd correct you slightly. I don't know anyone without a budget, they're just at different levels. They still find themselves faced with budgetary decisions regularly. Also, when those with extremely high budgets let their spending get out of control, they have the same problems as anyone else. Paul Allen is one of the richest men in the world and his toys include professional sports teams. But he has very rigid budgets for the Seahawks and the Blazers.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #94
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Arguing about the price of fantasies is a bit humorous. This thread wasn't intended to reflect what one might actually ever buy.

As to "budget," I'd correct you slightly. I don't know anyone without a budget, they're just at different levels. They still find themselves faced with budgetary decisions regularly. Also, when those with extremely high budgets let their spending get out of control, they have the same problems as anyone else. Paul Allen is one of the richest men in the world and his toys include professional sports teams. But he has very rigid budgets for the Seahawks and the Blazers.
U.S. "thinks" it plays on a budget... look what happened! Pay back will be a bitch... unless astounding item[s] occur[s]... which it [they] may; after all this is the USA!!! LOL

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 05:45 PM   #95
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
U.S. "thinks" it plays on a budget... look what happened! Pay back will be a bitch... unless astounding item[s] occur[s]... which it [they] may; after all this is the USA!!! LOL
Has a budget, just does a lousy job of managing it.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #96

City: Hobart
Vessel Name: Theresa
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 66 LRMY
[QUOTE=manyboats;433725]stronoway7,
Really like that 1st picture.

Thanks Manyboats,that was taken off the bottom of South West Tasmania in the Southern Ocean.Funny how the camera smooths the water.That was the least bumpy day for about 10 days.Normally you get a swell of 4 to 6 metres with a sea of a couple of metre on top.Not a place to hang about.
Here's the local waverider buoy graph for a big one. 20 metre wave (66 feet) with a 30 second dwell(peak to peak).Extreme pucker factor.
The 160 km/h wind that day probably helped too.
I wonder how the Dashew's bow would go into a wave like that.Up periscope !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wavegraph.png
Views:	45
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	50786  
stornoway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #97

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
stornoway7,
I think I saw a boat similar to yours at Horseshoe bay off Magnetic island around july/aug last year and admired her from a distance. I wondered when I saw those portlights and her height above waterline how much she rolled underway, now I know you have those nifty stabilizers.

With my little boat I use a stern anchor and almost defeat that terrible tide swell that is about my only irritation with cruising Queensland only.

My long winded question is when you drop the anchor, kill the motor and ride up square onto the tide swell, is that also 'when the fun begins' or can you use a generator to power the stabilizers.
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:39 PM   #98

City: perth
Vessel Name: Nimiane
Vessel Model: Finn 8
correction ''the excitement starts" ?
bogranjac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #99
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Those boats are attractive for transoceanic cruises, but how practical are they for coastal/inland-cruising which is all I need (employing ships for overseas cruising)?
Old 04-15-2016, 09:54 PM   #100

City: Green Country
RE: Number of FPB's for sale....

From the "Set Sail" site for the FPB's...

"At present there are three FPB 78s under construction, all for previous FPB owners"

SetSail » Blog Archive » FPB 78: The Dream Machine

Probably not that different than other significant manufactures who have their fans. Also, kind of speaks to the idea posted earlier of "buying your second boat first".

MRRiley is offline   Reply With Quote