ICW Strip Charts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Ursa
Vessel Make
Paasch custom CPMY
Years ago cruising with my dad he had strip charts of the ICW that could be threaded on a cork base board with rollers on each end that allowed you to operate the chart like a scroll as you cruised along. Compact and a great way to keep track of your position. I can't find those charts on the NOAA site or anywhere on the web. Do they still exist and where can I find them if they do?? Help!

Not as much investment these days in paper, plastic, etc. chart products as there used to be when that was the only option.

Have you considered making your own?

This past year I started using hyrophonic survey data from the Corp for large portions of the ICW. Was all in electronic form on the their website.

I download, did some cut and pasting - printed out hardcopy and put in a binder.

There are several websites with Charts (Active Captain and Waterway guide are the first that come to mind). Open up the chart for what you want - zoom in or out - I use Snipping Tool which is in Windows.

Print...

I have and used recently,
The Intercoastal Waterway Chartbook and I think it's very good.
It is a spring bound book that covers the ICW from Norfolk to Miami.

Just flip pages as you go along ( top to bottom not right to left )

International Marine / McGraw Hill

Bill

I'll tell ya how dated I am; I still have the nice wooden chart board with the parallel motion protractor attached. It is big enough to support the entire big spiral-wound chartbooks clipped into place. However, nowadays I use the electronic plotter for close-in and the laptop with Coastal Explorer for expanded view and Active Captain info. Both running and both in front of me at the helm.

I have and used recently,
The Intercoastal Waterway Chartbook and I think it's very good.
It is a spring bound book that covers the ICW from Norfolk to Miami.

Just flip pages as you go along ( top to bottom not right to left )

International Marine / McGraw Hill

Bill

I take it you meant the Intracoastal Waterway Chart Book? Is that the Kettlewell book? We used that but it is now out of print, last edition 2012; very handy.

The delight with those charts was it was EZ to look ahead 50- 60 -70 miles to look for an anchor age for the night , and a back up should the day go slower.

A few years back when we got our Mainship in Saint Petersburg Fla. and brought it back to N.Y. I purchased a few I.C.W. books for information on the route but the charts were not really big enough to read easily while in route. I searched the internet and found the NOAA strip charts and was able to print them. I taped several together to make up different sections. I realize this might be a lot of work for some but it helped me study and learn the route. Not sure if this suggestion might be helpful for want you want to do.

Do you recall where you found them on the web? I looked without success

Google ..
Maptech Chartbook

If you look on the NOAA Chart Locator site
https://www.charts.noaa.gov/InteractiveCatalog/nrnc.shtml
you can select Booklet Charts (they're .pdfs of the RNC charts, they are the ones indicated as BC when you select a chart). I keep a 'bridge book' that includes these booklet charts. I print out the pages on my route, update it with LNM and 'forum/FB' local knowledge stuff and put them in order of the route. Simply reverse the pages on the return.

Back
Top Bottom