Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-12-2016, 06:51 PM   #1
Guru
 
hmason's Avatar
 
City: Westport, CT
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Magic
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 46 Europa
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1,524
ICW NC and South

As I sit here at the AYB dock I see a good number of boats heading south. Most are BIG power boats, sailboats and some smaller boats. I'm assuming that many of them will head "outside" to the ocean. I can't get much information about the navigation conditions inside the ICW such as shoaling and debris. Any reports?

Thanks
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Howard
Magic, 1996 Grand Banks Europa
Westport, CT and Stuart, FL
hmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #2
Guru
 
Capt.Bill11's Avatar
 
City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 4,732
Cruisers' Net | Cruisers Helping Cruisers

Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts
__________________

Capt.Bill11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #3
Guru
 
psneeld's Avatar
 
City: Avalon, NJ
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 12,936
I think except for a few damaged marinas, and the now rapidly dissapating flotsam, a trip south shouldn't be too big a deal.

I am not leaving Jersey for a month...but I would have no problem leaving now...passing through North Carolina and points south in 10 to 14 days.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #4
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 618
NC major rivers will be cresting in the inner coastal towns on Friday/Saturday. Kinston for example is 40 miles inland on the Neuse from New Bern is cresting Saturday. Greenville on the Tar crests Friday, I think. I'm not sure about the Cape Fear.

Just be careful of floating debris. With our muddy waters, some debris can be hard to see.

I really feel bad for all those affected by this storm.....such a mess.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
yachtbrokerguy's Avatar


 
City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Country: USA
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 410
I came through the ICW last year on my way from Lake Erie to Florida. There was bad flooding in South Carolina last year also and there was lots of debris in the water. After awhile some of the logs will sink but can be kicked up from the bottom by prop wash, they are below the surface, invisible. If you are following a tug or other larger boat hang way back or try to pass.
You can also check on Active Captain for the latest reports. Each night ask at the dock masters office about hazards but there may not be much information to the south as the travelers are coming from the north.
Remember on the ICW that there is the potential for shoaling wherever the ocean meets the ICW. At every inlet you need to pay extra attention and if there has been river flooding it is more likely.
__________________
Tucker Fallon CPYB
www.yachtbrokerguy.com
yachtbrokerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #6
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
I came through the ICW last year on my way from Lake Erie to Florida. There was bad flooding in South Carolina last year also and there was lots of debris in the water. After awhile some of the logs will sink but can be kicked up from the bottom by prop wash, they are below the surface, invisible. If you are following a tug or other larger boat hang way back or try to pass.
You can also check on Active Captain for the latest reports. Each night ask at the dock masters office about hazards but there may not be much information to the south as the travelers are coming from the north.
Remember on the ICW that there is the potential for shoaling wherever the ocean meets the ICW. At every inlet you need to pay extra attention and if there has been river flooding it is more likely.
We were also there during the flooding. We only took the ICW from Myrtle Beach out at Georgetown and we stayed outside after that. The closer you are to a river flowing in, the greater the problems and they'll be bringing debris for some time still.

Some areas were hit so very hard, there are no words to express how sad we feel for some of the residents. I grew up in NC and have been through Tarboro and Princeville. These are very poor areas and they've faced this before and still nothing done to protect them. Per capita income of Tarboro is $20k and of Princeville is $12.6k. The people then hit the hardest are those who had so little to start with. They stay there because it's their home and their heritage. I felt bad for the people of that area before the hurricane. Now, I hope they get the help they need short term but hope something is done to protect against future floods.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 06:28 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna's Avatar
 
City: Palm Coast
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 199
The ICW in Flagler County Florida along with the ocean has debris. Personally I would travel cautiously through St. Johns, Flagler, Volusia and Brevard Counties in Florida.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
Guru
 
City: East Coast
Country: USA
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 1,736
Friends have a home on the ICW just north of the Socastee bridge. The river has flooded and is a few feet deep in their yard. Boats could easily get out of the deep water and onto what is normally land and that could be a problem. Also, any boat wakes damage property in this area.


The silver colored thing in the center is the ramp to their floating dock. Beyond that is the ICW. The front is their yard. Taken from the second floor deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14495293_960506254061132_2958961748519260276_n[1].jpg
Views:	20
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	57422  
WesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 08:56 PM   #9
Guru
 
BandB's Avatar
 
City: Fort Lauderdale
Country: USA
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 8,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Friends have a home on the ICW just north of the Socastee bridge. The river has flooded and is a few feet deep in their yard. Boats could easily get out of the deep water and onto what is normally land and that could be a problem. Also, any boat wakes damage property in this area.


The silver colored thing in the center is the ramp to their floating dock. Beyond that is the ICW. The front is their yard. Taken from the second floor deck.
Good point on wake. In areas like that you're not waking boats, you're waking persons homes.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:54 PM   #10
Guru
 
Besslb's Avatar
 
City: Cary NC
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We were also there during the flooding. We only took the ICW from Myrtle Beach out at Georgetown and we stayed outside after that. The closer you are to a river flowing in, the greater the problems and they'll be bringing debris for some time still.

Some areas were hit so very hard, there are no words to express how sad we feel for some of the residents. I grew up in NC and have been through Tarboro and Princeville. These are very poor areas and they've faced this before and still nothing done to protect them. Per capita income of Tarboro is $20k and of Princeville is $12.6k. The people then hit the hardest are those who had so little to start with. They stay there because it's their home and their heritage. I felt bad for the people of that area before the hurricane. Now, I hope they get the help they need short term but hope something is done to protect against future floods.
This is so true. The downstream flooding is horrible. I think Princeville's levee was built after Floyd, and it was holding, but then the river went around it and flooded Princeville, Tarboro had already flooded. The good news, if there is any there, is that they had forecasted almost exactly when the flood waters would come, so they were able to evacuate ahead of time. (Mostly)

The Neuse is cresting in Kinston now....the river is now on the other side of 70 and in all of those businesses. Also forecasted early in the week, they were able to prepare, but still a mess and heartbreaking.

Be careful out there. Not all debris will be floating.....
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 02:50 AM   #11
Guru
 
Pgitug's Avatar
 
City: Punta Gorda, fl
Country: Usa
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 656
If you are a sailboat you will not be able to pass under the fixed 65' bridges for many more days to come. ⛵️⛵️⛵️⛵️
__________________

Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012