Old 08-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #1
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
The ICW

It is not surprising that so many of us on Trawler Florum live or boat near the ICW.* It can be a river or not a river.* It can be a canal or cut, or it can be a section of open water.* It is the boater's highway from the South end of the Chesapeake Bay to the Florida Keys.* It is the gateway to the Chesapeake and the Florida Keys.* It is the jumping off place to the Bahamas or cutting across the Okeechobee Waterway to the Gulf ICW.* It can have periously shallow spots, but most is easily navigatible.* Its markers can confuse, and it can frustrate.

. . . . . .but most of all it beckons.* It has an almost irresistable allure.* It is the path to cruising---to venturing to new places. . . . . . and it is all there for the taking.* I envy the scenery of the northwest and the perfect weather of southern California,* However, the east coast has something unique-----the ICW and the great loop.* We are only 50 to 100 miles from cruising in the beautiful waters of a foreign country---ahhh the Bahamas.* Cystal clear waters and deserted beaches.* Diving on colorful reefs loaded with fish.

After boating on the ICW on and off for about 40 years, the allure is still there.* It is timeless. It is beautiful, and it's ours.* Come cruise with us.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
RE: The ICW

Very beautifully said Don!!**The ICW*does beckon, Inviting*all*who will listen*to adventures unknown.** Right on our doorsteps is the door to unlimited cruising options. It is our*pathway to the world. * I can't wait to see all of it!!*

Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:06 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

Now, we just have to rally to keep it FUNDED or it will go away!!!
Tom.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -
The ICW

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
It is timeless. It is beautiful, and it's ours.* Come cruise with us.

*It's FLAT.* Put some mountains down there with trees and stuff and a bunch of*eagles and ravens and whales and waterfalls and you'll have something.**You need to knock the*temperatures down about 30 degrees, too.* And get rid*of those cyloney windy things.***Until then, and speaking strictly for myself, from what I've seen of it (granted, all in photos although I've experienced the climate in person) what you have is a ditch through flatness and*heatwaves.

There is a lot of fascinating history back there, though.* More than out here in the recently settled frontier.* ('Scuse me, I gotta go feed the oxen and grease the prairie schooner wheels again.)

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 1st of August 2011 08:25:42 PM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14-denman peak.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	6857  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Mike wrote:

BTW, Moonstruck passed me once, did a nice job. Thanks.

Mike

Mike
Palm Coast FL.
*Thanks, Mike.* Where were we passing?* I always tell my crew the one you're passing may be your slipmate tonight.* Many of the slower boats don't know how to do a good pass.* If they don't slow, it takes a long time to make a pass.

Lou's sister-in-law was cruising with us.* We*did several slow passes asking many times to slow for a pass to port.* Her SIL asked what it was like for us to get passed.* Lou and I looked at each other then said, "we don't know.* It hasn't happened".* That's due to the 27 knot cruise speed of Moonstruck.

The Gorgia ICW is definitely an acquired taste.* When you really open your eyes to it, it is a unique and beautiful area.* Plus we have the green head flies to shoo the Yanks back north.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

The ICW

Quote:
Mike wrote:

I would not trade the ICW for living in the PNW but that's just me. We are all a little bit different.

*Which is what makes the world go round.* If we all liked the same stuff we'd not only all live in the same place (which would be Bad) but we'd all be writing about the same things on this forum.

I can understand how the ICW and associated waterways would have a lot of appeal to a lot of people.* And I'm no stranger to running a boat in a ditch :-)

While my experience on the southeast coast is limited to only*two places--- Florida, which was on fire when I was there, and Charleston, SC, which wasn't--- I have taken away one dominating impression and that is that the people I experienced in person were much more friendly, outgoing, considerate, and polite than what we tend to have on the west coast.* The attitude reminded my a lot of Hawaii where I lived from 1955 to 1979.

As Mike said, we're all a little different.* I like the*drama and challenge of* big mountains, deep water, strong currents, and (to a degree) constant weather changes.* I like doing things where there is a bit of risk.* I'm no daredevil by any means whatsoever and can be as chicken as anyone else.* But to me, the fog, the strong currents, the rapids in the narrow passes, the wind (up to a point) all make the boating experience more fullfilling to me.* For the same reason I suppose that I enjoy the somewhat scarey challenge of taking a single-engine floatplane into mountain lakes a hundred miles or more from the nearest settlement.

While I don't see myself ever boating on the ICW, if by some chance I found myself on a boat on that waterway I'm sure I would enjoy it, if for no other reason than it would be something new to experience.* You only go around once, and the more things one can see and eperience the better I think.

Now THIS is boating in a ditch..... :-)** My wife is driving the boat in the first shot and I kept making her go through, then back up out of sight, then go through, back up, probably about ten times until the*horse and the boat lined up the way I wanted them.* Narrowboats don't back up well at all and while my wife is very good at it she was Not Pleased when I finally got* back to the boat.

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 1st of August 2011 09:03:21 PM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	56-willow-16a.jpg
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	6858   Click image for larger version

Name:	31-juniper5.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	6859  
Old 08-01-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Don, please don't be tempting me with beckoning posts such as this. And you too Marin- stop posting those photos of mountains and the sea and wilderness. I am supposed to be in my working years....responsible...hard working....career minded...saving nonstop...driving kids to sports 24/7....doing the same thing day in and day out.
So what is a fellow to do when his wife starts saying perhaps we should get that 3 stateroom trawler with more room so we can spend more time aboard??? And then a post like this??? Come one. It's enough to make a body think they are supposed to take off and follow that wanderlust!
Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:
So what is a fellow to do when his wife starts saying perhaps we should get that 3 stateroom trawler with more room so we can spend more time aboard???
*Awe, come on, Tony.* Do you know how many guys would wish their wives would say that?* I think you need counselling!
Old 08-01-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The ICW

Quote:
Marin wrote:...For the same reason I suppose that I enjoy the somewhat scarey challenge of taking a single-engine floatplane into mountain lakes a hundred miles or more from the nearest settlement.

*Riding motorcyles, small planes, and other high-risk behaviors have taken so many persons such as T.E. Lawrence and Audie Murphy, etcetera before their time.* And some say war is risky!* Compared to what?

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 1st of August 2011 10:20:11 PM
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:46 PM   #10
Scraping Paint

The ICW

Quote:
markpierce wrote:
*Riding motorcyles, small planes, and other high-risk behaviors have taken so many persons such as T.E. Lawrence and Audie Murphy, etcetera before their time.* And some say war is risky!* Compared to what?

Well, nobody's shooting bullets and missiles at us in the floatplane.

Although*we've seen a few bears who would proably have liked to.* And at a whopping 110 mph we'd be*an easy target.

Life would be very dull (to me) without an element of risk.* And there's risk all around us all the time anyway.* Driving, crossing the street, cleaning the gutters, taking the boat out, you name it.* Hell, every time my company puts me on a plane to somewhere there's a major element of risk as witness the Air France accident just to name a recent one.

I don't view flying a small plane (I guess a Beaver could be considered small) as very risky, because I'm the one flying it.* I view flying in an airliner as a lot more risky because I'm not.

For the record Audie Murphy was killed in the crash of his Aero Commander, a fairly sophtisticated (for its day)*twin engine airplane being flown by a professional pilot (not Audie).**While*considered a general aviation airplane, they were not really what one would consider a "small plane."* They were in dense fog at the time, a condition that has been a factor in the crash of full-size jetliners from time to time.

You pay your money and you*take your chances.* If I had to name the main objective in* my life I would probably say "To see and experience*as much as is practical to see and experience in the time I've got*and*never be bored."

So give me those 25 foot tides up north and all the currents and rapids that go with them.* They make boating anything but boring.*

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 1st of August 2011 10:54:33 PM
Old 08-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

You have no argument with me, Marin.* One pays one's money (or gets out of the bed)*and takes one choices/chances.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:24 AM   #12
FF
Guru

"Put some mountains down there with trees and stuff and a bunch of eagles and ravens and whales and waterfalls and you'll have something. "

Yes a big ditch (like the Miss) that required dozens of locks to climb and descend.

UGH, Sounds like the dullest part of the mud run (AKA LOOP) in spades!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #13
Guru

The ICW

Trees? Mountains?* Here is the mountain cabin that we just repaired from a white pine tree falling on it during the recent storms.* At 3000' elevation it is always cool under the trees.* Our other boat is kept on the Tennessee River.* The other picture is the Tennessee River from*Signal Point near where I lived for 30 years.* See Tony's post about Living Light to see some mountains and trees.* Splitting time between mountains and coast---I guess it could be worse.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 07:05:34 AM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 07:22:58 AM

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 07:30:06 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tennessee river from signal point.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	6860   Click image for larger version

Name:	sucheslife cabin 008.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	265.7 KB
ID:	6861   Click image for larger version

Name:	lou's cabin after esterior painting 002.jpg
Size:	276.9 KB
ID:	6862   Click image for larger version

Name:	man-o-war beach.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	6863  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #14
Guru

The ICW

You know what makes this country so great, among many other things is the topographical diversity probably no other country has.
Marin has his mountains and whales and eagles and Moonstruck has his hills and cormorants, ospreys, numerous dolphins, manatee's and somewhat protected ICW running a thousand miles.

And Marin if you want some excitement try navigating the Keys or portions of the GA ICW without running aground.

And without a doubt we would not be cruising this time of year without AC.

-- Edited by timjet on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 07:38:38 AM

-- Edited by timjet on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 07:40:11 AM
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
The ICW

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:41:56 AM
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM   #16
Guru

The ICW

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:39:23 AM
Old 08-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #17
Guru

The ICW

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:timjet wrote:Marin has his mountains and whales and eagles and Moonstruck has his hills and cormorants, ospreys, numerous dolphins, manatee's and somewhat protected ICW running a thousand miles. __________________________________________________ _____________
Quote:
I think that's great but I'll continue to tough it out here!* :sun:
Quote:
Photos (from L-R)
Quote:
# 1,2 & 3* La Jolla, CA
Quote:
#4,5,6 & 7 Sedona, AZ ( A nice change from staring at the Sea every day.)

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:37:54 AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lr 2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	6864   Click image for larger version

Name:	living room.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	6865   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabin.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	6866   Click image for larger version

Name:	down the hill.jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	6867   Click image for larger version

Name:	todd & ryan.jpg
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	6868  

Name:	patio.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	6869   Click image for larger version

Name:	lions.jpg
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	6870  
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:SeaHorse II wrote:I think that's great but I'll continue to tough it out here!* :sun:
Oh Walt, you have my admiration for adapting and sticking it out under the most rugged of conditions.* You are truly an inspiration to all of us here on Trawler Forum.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:32:54 AM

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:36:09 AM

Old 08-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:

Oh Walt, you have my admiration for adapting and sticking it out under the most rugged of conditions.* You are truly an inspiration to all of us here on Trawler Forum.

Thanks, Don! We continue the good fight & are trying to make it work.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:__________________________________________________ _____________
Quote:
I think that's great but I'll continue to tough it out here!* :sun:
Quote:
Photos (from L-R)
Quote:
# 1,2 & 3* La Jolla, CA
Quote:
#4,5,6 & 7 Sedona, AZ ( A nice change from staring at the Sea every day.)
-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Tuesday 2nd of August 2011 08:37:54 AM

*I've been to both, I envy you.

timjet is offline   Reply With Quote