Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: The ICW

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
At 3000' elevation it is always cool under the trees.

*Three thousand feet?* That's not a mountain, that's a wee hill.* I think the term used for a 3,000 foot hill in BC is a "mound."

I've spent a fair amount of time in the hills of western Virginia and West Virginia.* Very pretty, no question, and I enjoyed seeing it.* But not my cup of tea at all.** Way too tame for me.

But as Mike said earlier, to each their own.

This is pretty much my minimum requirement for the term "mountain"......

Attached Thumbnails
p1050566.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)

Quote:
SeaHorse II wrote:
I think that's great but I'll continue to tough it out here!* :sun:
Quote:
Photos (from L-R)
Quote:
# 1,2 & 3* La Jolla, CA
Quote:
#4,5,6 & 7 Sedona, AZ ( A nice change from staring at the Sea every day.)

Ah, the Casa Poulson at LaJolla! I can recommend it highly. :thumbsup:

Five star rating in all conceiveable categories including, but not limited to,: host and hostess, food, ambiance, views, accomodations, entertainment, transportation (wheeled and floating).

And all at very reasonable rates.
Quote:

<table class="genmed" style="width:140px;height:14px;" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tbody><tr><td width="100">*</td><td width="40">*</td></tr></tbody></table>

dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #23
Scraping Paint

Quote:
timjet wrote:
And Marin if you want some excitement try navigating the Keys or portions of the GA ICW without running aground.

*Yes, I'm sure it can be challenging.* But it's FLAT.* Flat is a synonym for Evil in my book, sorry.* So the chances of interesting me in navigating anything back there (except Maine which from the bit*I saw*the other year is fantastic) are slim to none.

Also I grew up in Hawaii.* So I've already done my time in hot, sunny, sandy hell.* So my*take on*the Keys is I feel really sorry for anyone who has to endure them.

As for Don's comment about splitting time between the mountains and the coast, shoot, I do that on my comute every day. :-)
Old 08-02-2011, 05:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express

Quote:
Mike wrote:

Hope it happens again.
I know the spot.*

Same here.* The plan is to head South again about Nov. 1.* Hope we see you then.* Give us a shout.* Maybe we can meet up at a stop or anchorage.
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Mike wrote:
Quote:
Maybe we can meet up at a stop or anchorage.

Don Moon
Moonstruck
Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Or even better, maybe you could exit the ICW at MM 803 (Palm Coast Marina) and come down to the 4th canal and tie up to the little DeFever (6 ft. mlw).

Cars, trucks, grocery, hardware, whatever you want it's all available at Mikes house.

Join me for a glass, and a cigar if you are so inclined , on the porch..

We'll tell lies and other stories, but who cares?

Mike
Palm Coast FL
*that's a very generous offer.* Thanks.* We would love to do it.* Know just where it is.*

Saw a couple of boats aground behind Mantanzas Inlet onthe trip up.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:32 AM   #26
FF
Guru

"We'll tell lies and other stories, but who cares?"

The difference between a Fairy Tale and a Sea Story?

A Fairy tale begins "Once upon a time"

A Sea Story begins " Now this is no Sh**!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:28 AM   #27
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

You get what you pay for.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:19 AM   #28
FF
Guru

The ICW

Not really, a night in a fine anchorage , to me . is worth 100x as much as tied up in some marina.

And the fact that is free , not $3.00 a ft is not the pleasure, tho it doesnt hurt.

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 6th of August 2011 04:20:39 AM
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #29
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986

Quote:
FF wrote:

Not really, a night in a fine anchorage , to me . is worth 100x as much as tied up in some marina......
-- Edited by FF on Saturday 6th of August 2011 04:20:39 AM
*I was making a joke about a previous statement*****"that the GULF ICW is one heck of a lot more economical to travel than the Atlantic ICW.....*turn WEST at Mobile Bay and sample the ICW from there to Brownsville....." If you have never traveled the ICW west through La. and also east through Al. and Fl., you wont get the joke.

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:49 AM   #30
Guru

I returned from s fl to the chesapeake last spring, anchored every nite only tied up for fuel
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 AM   #31
Guru

Quote:
motion30 wrote:
I returned from s fl to the chesapeake last spring, anchored every nite only tied up for fuel
*Motion,

Truly one of the beauties of the ICW-----choice.* We like to anchor, but split our stops with anchoring and marinas.* There are just so many stops that we hate to miss.* It would be nice to have more mooring fields at the larger towns.* .* .* .* .* .* so many good places that we like to spend time.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:51 PM   #32
Guru

Iwill give you that the ICW can be kind of boring in some parts.* What highway isn't.* It is a water highway that connects the East coast with a sheltered passage.

Just wondered* how many of you West coast guys and gals would like a sheltered highway/waterway along the Pacific coast to go from Canada to San Diego.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Moonstruck wrote:
Just wondered* how many of you West coast guys and gals would like a sheltered highway/waterway along the Pacific coast to go from Canada to San Diego.
*First of all, there's no point in going south of the Columbia River because below that there's nothing to do and nothing to see other than SFO bay and if you have a fast enough boat you can experience that in*a day (see, my predjudices are not limited to the east coast).

So we only have to deal with the Columbia River north.* Now the notion of a protected waterway connecting the Columbia to the south end of Puget Sound is a very*good one, I think.

But from Puget Sound on up into SE Alaska we already have a protected waterway.* Actually a whole bunch of them to pick from.* So no ditches needed north of Olympia.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM   #34
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Marin says "So no ditches needed north of Olympia."

Think big Marin. Would be nice to have "ditches" to Dutch Hbr or even Tokyo. We could at least go visit the Dude but then very few get as far as Thorne Bay as it is. And as to your bashing their ditch I'd probably love to go anchor on one of those Carolina ofshore islands and go kayaking about. Think of it Marin.........nice calm and warm water in the sun.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 10:09 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:*Think of it Marin.........nice calm and warm water in the sun.
*The calm water part is fine, although we get plenty of that in the San Juan and Gulf Islands.* But the sun.... forget it.* I lived nearly 30 years in Hawaii.* I've had more than my quota of sun.* I don't need anymore (not that I don't enjoy the occasional sunny day here).

But if you've never been in the east and southeast in the summer, you are in for a major shock.* Temperatures over 100 and humidity in the thousands it seems like.* The only* place I've been to date that was more uncomfortable outside than the southeastern US has been Langkawi in Malaysia.* A lot of people really like hot, humid climates.* I'm not one of them.* Where you live is an ideal climate to me.* Nice in the summer and cold and snowy in the winter.* I love winter but never had one for the first half of my life.* I'm owed :-)
Old 08-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #36
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hahaha. I knew you were going to say that. I'm w you. It's pretty when the sun's out but I'd rather it not be. OK Marin when you get through mess'in around at Boeing come on up here.
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote