Ice maker suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allen Arin

This is the first time I am buying an ice maker, any suggestion with the pics of your ice maker and features to look will help me out

I you looking for a built in unit or a countertop appliance?

Ted

If you decide on a built-in, suggest you do not buy the Raritan unless you need a real PITA!!

Or install a small freezer in the same space and make ice the old fashioned way in trays. Our two ULines are not reliable, the worst problem being a stuck water valve that fortunately occurred when we were on boat so flooding was minimal.

If you decide on a built-in, suggest you do not buy the Raritan unless you need a real PITA!!

My boat came new with a Raritan unit. Worked great for around 20 years, at which point it was replaced with another. The replacement is over 10 years in service at this point and works perfectly.

However, the 12v Vitrifrigo unit that fits in the same hole has caught my eye a few times. But I'd probably be better served by just putting in an inverter to power the icemaker to avoid it starting to thaw when I'm away from the dock without the generator running.

Igloo portable. Cheap. Works. Not much work to winterize; just empty it.

-Chris

Igloo portable. Cheap. Works. Not much work to winterize; just empty it.

-Chris

I don't have one, but several in my marina have counter top portable units and love them. They actually have to give ice away.

We have a Uline under counter works good.

Attachments

• Ice Maker.jpg
    Ice Maker.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 91
Have been using countertops for about 5 years. The last one worked 10 hrs a day seven days a week for over 4 years. Igloo brand so far.

The only issue it doesn't store ice and it makes wet ice (31 degrees or so).

The method that works for me is I put it in 1 gallon starage bags. The cubes freeze together but in the bags thay break apart with a slam like a bag of ice from anywhere. They also freeze harder and last longer if refrozen.

All said...it makes a couple glasses of ice per 1/2 hour or so....so it has satisfied my ice problem after I ditched a great but not without reservation, chest freezer on the flybridge.

Last edited:
I recently installed a built-in icemaker on our sundeck - in a spot that was originally designed for one. Spot had been turned into a storage cabinet by PO, but water and elec were still in place. Edgestar 15" wide. Makes up to 12lb a day and bin holds 6 lb - unit is a freezer so ice stays hard and ready to use, and no need for a drain. $289 from Amazon :thumb: Yea, I know its not a 'marine icemaker', but at that price I can easily replace it every few years if needed. It's not quite as tall as original, so had to fill in a bit at top - front vented at the bottom front. It's not a 12v unit, but it's on one of the inverter circuits, and we are always running either the inverter or the generator when underway.

Attachments

• Icemaker.jpg
    Icemaker.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
ok, I followed the instructions and it's still sideways :-(

Fox trot
Glad your ice maker was set upright before all the ice fell out. :)

I was going to put one of the U-Line ice makers in my last boat. Until I got there, I put one of those igloo $89 countertop models in. I got it at Home Depot, I think. I loved it and never put the U-Line in. It produced ice as fast as I can use it. if I had a bunch of people coming, I bought a bag or two, dumped it in a cooler, and then little unit could keep up with the demand. It was easier than emptying it a bunch of times for the in advance of the initial rush.

For my current boat, I bought one that looked the same from Wal-Mart. It was a different brand and $99. The first one died in 2 weeks. But, Wal-Mart took it back and the second one has been going strong.

I have it and the coffee maker tied down with the "super grip" latch-straps below. I used the same on my old boat for the microwave.
-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144769O/

The only slight rub is that the ice maker has a drain plug on the bottom, so if I want to drain all of the water out of it, I have to open the latch-straps, move it to the sink, pull the plug, drain it, rinse it out, drain it again, put the plug in, move it back to the counter, and wrestle again with the latch-straps. One of these days I'll see if I can fit a small drain line with plug in underneath or raise it up a bit to do the same. The goal being to be able to use the drain line to drain it to a cup or whatever, without needing to move it.

The counter top units can make ice pretty rapidly, typically about 26lbs/day. A tray typically takes 7-15 minutes, for whatever a tray is.

But, the countertop units can store relatively little ice. So, they can't keep a lot in reserve. If you want a lot on hand, you have to start early and keep emptying the small bucket into something like a cooler.

Also, the counter top units basically just have a small, insulated, but uncooled bucket. So, it keeps the ice cold for a while, but it does melt. When it melts, it drains back into the water supply for the ice, and gets made into new ice. The built-in units have much larger storage areas that are also freezers, so they can keep a bunch of ice in reserve indefinitely.

Lastly, the counter top units need to be filled with water, as from a gallon jug or pitcher. The built-in units are plumbed, so they supply themselves with water.

I recently installed a built-in icemaker on our sundeck - in a spot that was originally designed for one. Spot had been turned into a storage cabinet by PO, but water and elec were still in place. Edgestar 15" wide. Makes up to 12lb a day and bin holds 6 lb - unit is a freezer so ice stays hard and ready to use, and no need for a drain. $289 from Amazon :thumb: Yea, I know its not a 'marine icemaker', but at that price I can easily replace it every few years if needed. It's not quite as tall as original, so had to fill in a bit at top - front vented at the bottom front. It's not a 12v unit, but it's on one of the inverter circuits, and we are always running either the inverter or the generator when underway.

That looks great :socool: it makes good amount of ice but it will be more than enough for us but still, if you could share the link of it.

I found some pictures of the counter-top ice makers on my prior and present boats. They aren't super. But, for whatever they may be worth, enjoy.

Attachments

• 0317181702c.jpg
    0317181702c.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 0526192304.jpg
    0526192304.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 63
The counter top units can make ice pretty rapidly, typically about 26lbs/day. A tray typically takes 7-15 minutes, for whatever a tray is.

But, the countertop units can store relatively little ice. So, they can't keep a lot in reserve. If you want a lot on hand, you have to start early and keep emptying the small bucket into something like a cooler.

Also, the counter top units basically just have a small, insulated, but uncooled bucket. So, it keeps the ice cold for a while, but it does melt. When it melts, it drains back into the water supply for the ice, and gets made into new ice. The built-in units have much larger storage areas that are also freezers, so they can keep a bunch of ice in reserve indefinitely.

Lastly, the counter top units need to be filled with water, as from a gallon jug or pitcher. The built-in units are plumbed, so they supply themselves with water.

Yeah I have been looking for an ice maker which can make upto 26lbs of ice in 24 hour,it's good to have drainage. I am reading several sources as such this one https://topreviewedten.com/sonic-ice-maker/ so which one would you like to recommend, Many of them have recommended igloo but am not sure to go with igloo ice maker, will definitely go for builtin unit they might cost me more than countertop one.

I was going to put one of the U-Line ice makers in my last boat. Until I got there, I put one of those igloo $89 countertop models in. I got it at Home Depot, I think. I loved it and never put the U-Line in. It produced ice as fast as I can use it. if I had a bunch of people coming, I bought a bag or two, dumped it in a cooler, and then little unit could keep up with the demand. It was easier than emptying it a bunch of times for the in advance of the initial rush.

For my current boat, I bought one that looked the same from Wal-Mart. It was a different brand and $99. The first one died in 2 weeks. But, Wal-Mart took it back and the second one has been going strong.

I have it and the coffee maker tied down with the "super grip" latch-straps below. I used the same on my old boat for the microwave.
-- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00144769O/

The only slight rub is that the ice maker has a drain plug on the bottom, so if I want to drain all of the water out of it, I have to open the latch-straps, move it to the sink, pull the plug, drain it, rinse it out, drain it again, put the plug in, move it back to the counter, and wrestle again with the latch-straps. One of these days I'll see if I can fit a small drain line with plug in underneath or raise it up a bit to do the same. The goal being to be able to use the drain line to drain it to a cup or whatever, without needing to move it.

gkesden,

Is that super grip permanent or is it something like a velcro that can be released to move the appliance. And how does the super grip stick? And can that be removed if needed?

gkesden,

Is that super grip permanent or is it something like a velcro that can be released to move the appliance. And how does the super grip stick? And can that be removed if needed?

Was wondering the same. Very poorly represented on Amazon.

They have tape (like VHB) that sticks to the counter and appliance and secures the latches (cam locks) There is a plastic strap that connects them secured by the cam locks. Open the latch and appliance can be moved for cleaning tape is one time use only but can be removed.

Hi Allen,

I'm always slightly skeptical of sites like that that review online reviews and product descriptions, etc, and provide links to online stores -- but never, themselves own or test products. I suspect they are mostly there to collect commissions from the stores they link to.

In the case of that site, it is an Amazon Affiliate store.

I guess I prefer to read the online reviews myself, ask questions on vendor sites and here, etc.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Things I'll add to READY's comment, just from my own experience...

The adhesive tape holding the latch points onto the surfaces seems to work best in compression and tension, less effectively when subject to shear, and be weakest in torsion. So, to permanently remove them, I open the latch, tilt or move the device to get space for access, and gently twist/rotate each mount point until it pops off. If I am gentle and patient, usually with the tape intact. Sometimes I have to "roll" remnants of it that stayed attached with my finger over the surface or mount to remove them.

They have worked well for me on mica surfaces, formica type surfaces, and good varnished wood. I suspect they wouldnt hold well and could damage wallpaper, old pesky sun damaged varnished surfaces, fresh incomplete adhered paint, pesky peeling old paint, etc.

They didn't work as well on very curved surfaces where they got a lot less contact. They are rigid. So, for example, they worked well on sides and back of ice,maker -- but not front.

I used two per coffee maker and ice maker to prevent device from flopping around. But, two also seemed good enough for the small microwave (diagonal corners), but I think I put on 4, anyway, to be sure.

Lastly, the strap portion is long enough and adjustable enough to ease some installations. For example, that microwave is on a board so the door clears the counter "fall saver" trim. The strap was long enough to extend to span that distance and still lock in, etc.

Last edited:
Our coffeemaker is a mounted under-counter model, saves having to glue it down. OTOH, we do have to secure the glass caraf, usually with a bungie (or we could stow it in cabinets.)

We just move the portable icemaker to the galley floor when we're likely to be underway in sloppy sea states, or maybe when we might get rocked by wake while we're underway. Otherwise, it mostly just lives on a counter with some non-skid fabric underneath, as with under-rug rubber mesh stuff on wood floors.

-Chris

Another difference in location. Ice makers aren't really much of a thing in the PNW and I would assume BC. I make ice in trays and put the ice in ziploc freezer bags. We just don't use that much ice.

Another difference in location. Ice makers aren't really much of a thing in the PNW and I would assume BC. I make ice in trays and put the ice in ziploc freezer bags. We just don't use that much ice.

Honestly, I don't use a whole lot of ice from mine either. But it came with the boat, so...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom