Old 12-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #21

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
PSNEELD,
When I say vented I mean a slatted design. Remember nothing is perfect and the case for following seas is a variable not a constant. My neighbors 60 Sea Ray has a 6 foot wide swim platform with a 12 foot Nova Rhib on it and his travels each year to the Bahamas he has never had an issue with following seas affecting the platform.

knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #22
Veteran Member

City: San Antonio, Boat is located in Corpus Christi
Vessel Name: Bluebonnet
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Constellation 500
Here's the 3' wide platform I built for my 50' foot boat a year ago... (I can load more pictures of the building process).
- Total cost about $800 (incl fiber)
- Used 3 layers of 0.5" exterior plywood from home depot
- Screwed and glued
- Once sanded, recover with Fiber & epoxy (boat sides)
- installed it on top of the 2' feet wide old teak one (just a couple of bolts)
- re-installed the later (2" shorter)

We love it now and this is very secured for the wife & kids.
I plan to install the "SeaDek" product on top (some sort of rubber mat)

BTW, the color you see if after I applied the epoxy / Fiber (no color added)
Bye
Francois
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1038.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	26250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1041.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	26251  

Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:47 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Very good work ;-)
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:47 PM   #24
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Frisky
Vessel Model: 99 Nordic Tug
we chartered a nordic tug with a custom swim platform that had a cradle for the tender on it. It was bulletproof from what I could tell. The tender was pretty heavy as well..

It was made by some custom fabrication company in Washington, but I dont recall the name of the company.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #25
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
we chartered a nordic tug with a custom swim platform that had a cradle for the tender on it. It was bulletproof from what I could tell. The tender was pretty heavy as well.. It was made by some custom fabrication company in Washington, but I dont recall the name of the company.
Looks like a nice sturdy platform. the one flaw is it looks like aluminum, aluminum is the biggest pain to keep paint on. Definitely not good since it's going constantly be close to water and in the prop wash.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #26
Guru

I am sure some you are correct and it was aluminum, but it had been anodized. I cant remember if any of it was fiberglass or not.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #27
Guru

What was even better about it was the dinghy. It was all aluminum yet looked like a RIB and it was a beast. It was set up for fishing with built in fish finder, VHF, pole holders, storage compartments, bilge pump, running lights, and fish wells. It was a real treat to use that tender. I cant imagine how much it cost, but I imagine he had well over $25k into the dinghy alone.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #28
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
What was even better about it was the dinghy. It was all aluminum yet looked like a RIB and it was a beast. It was set up for fishing with built in fish finder, VHF, pole holders, storage compartments, bilge pump, running lights, and fish wells. It was a real treat to use that tender. I cant imagine how much it cost, but I imagine he had well over $25k into the dinghy alone.
Thanks for showing swimstep and "Robo Dink"! BA looking tender!!

You say "he had ... $25K into the dinghy" Was that a person or rental company you leased from?

Bet you had a blast!

More I look at pict of very heavy dink on davits at far end of swim step - more I wonder - how is that platform fastened?? Through transom I-Beams... just kidding, sort of!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:08 PM   #29
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Here is the Ipe one I built for our girl last year.

Name:	ForumRunner_20131230_220806.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	26282

Name:	ForumRunner_20131230_220833.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	26283
http://graceyachting.com/
Daddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #30
Art
Guru

Nice one , Mark!
Old 12-30-2013, 10:36 PM   #31
Guru

Nice job
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #32

City: Brisbane
Vessel Model: 49ft 11inch catamaran-trawler
Have you thought about doing a hull extension instead of just tacking something on the transom like an afterthought?

Cats do it quite often for great benifit.

On a grander scale on a motor boat.

and on something smaller, though god only knows why they stepped it in half an inch instead of following the hull lines

I am yet to hear of a boat that hasn't benefited from a few extra feet of water line length and it makes for easier boarding, a "real" swim ladder can be mounted and its a secure place for offloading groceries, cleaning fish etc etc etc..
Parmenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
Guru

Mixing the first and third photo, if you made an hull extention, you can earn boat displacement
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #34
Art
Guru

Parmenter

Thanks for locating and posting the three picts! Those stern additions look nice and would elongate the boat's LOA and WLL as well as being very useful during many stand-still events and for cruising dink storage... etc.

However, as you may notice in attached video, experiences that rule my sea keeping mind clearly tell me that following/conflicted seas of a really bad condition keep the upward fordable swim step design as my top priority. Bad water such as this only need happen once with too big a rear end platform on any boat and Davy Jones may well claim another submerged member! In boat design I believe Be prepared for the worst Plan for any event that might occur Hope for the best!

Old saying: "When you least expect it - Expect It!

Also, finding dockage space and extra dockage charge keep the upward foldable swim step at top of my list for replacement on our boat that plys SF Delta.

Fishing boats in rough seas

Old 01-01-2014, 09:04 AM   #35

Hull extension is not in the budget. I want a wider platform for a couple of reasons, one being I have a 12 foot Carolina skiff I would like to carry on the back. No Not going with davits and no not wanting to tow it. I have a 12 foot RHIB on the boat deck and I want to carry both. But primarily I just want a wider platform for hanging out while swimming.

Francois I like the idea of just adding with and using the existing platform but not sure about over hang strength, that additional unsupported 2 feet may not be able to handle a 350 pound Carolina skiff with a 35 hp motor.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #36
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by knotheadcharters View Post
Hull extension is not in the budget. I want a wider platform for a couple of reasons, one being I have a 12 foot Carolina skiff I would like to carry on the back. No Not going with davits and no not wanting to tow it. I have a 12 foot RHIB on the boat deck and I want to carry both. But primarily I just want a wider platform for hanging out while swimming.

Francois I like the idea of just adding with and using the existing platform but not sure about over hang strength, that additional unsupported 2 feet may not be able to handle a 350 pound Carolina skiff with a 35 hp motor.

and planning for the unexpected.. if the skiff fills with either rain water or from seas the loading will be huge.. this happened on the SeaRay we had.. 12' zodiac filled when a rag left in the boat plugged the open drain and the damn thing filled to the brim.. the load on the platform was scary...
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:52 PM   #37
Art
Guru

hollywood - That much weight on platform disturb/wrack the platform's braces? I take it the fill was from rain and not heavy seas...
Old 01-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #38

Self bailing cockpit 2 scuppers and a cover, remember people this is ICW cruising. I appreciate all the following sea comments but apparently a lot of you are unfamiliar with the ICW in Florida. Very narrow never more than a 1 foot chop, slightly more in the rivers or near the inlets but only in heavy winds which means I will be laying up those days.
Old 01-01-2014, 01:03 PM   #39
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Rather than carrying the Skiff flat on the platform, consider Weaver Davits and a Weaver Hoist. If you're interested, talk to Don on Moonstruck. He just bought one. Don't think he's got it installed yet but he did a lot of research before he bought it.

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 01:05 PM   #40
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You need to maximize the angle of your supporting brackets. To do so you need to know how deep you can make them, by measuring the distance from the new bottom of the swimgrid to the bottom of the transom. Having done that you can design your new swimgrid to whatever depth the new brackets can hold.
I also think lots of handholds along the aft edge are important. this will permit landings in your dinghy, tying things off, etc.
On a sailboat with a transom that resembled the KK above, I built one out of FG with a plywood core, multiple aft edge handholds, and the depth determined as I have indicated above. It was a great addition to a boat that came without.
The added 13" on Retreat's Swimgrid has been the best modification.
I recommend you go for the widest your transom depth will allow.
Make your SS supports good and strong, as you will frequently have a crowd on it and that crowd will often weigh over 1000 pounds.
Extending the old one by adding to its inside edge will likely be the easiest way to gain the extra depth. You may want to raise it up a little to get a better angle on the supports. I learned by trying to re-use the old supports that they were not robust enough for the movement of the weight away from the transom. That gave me a source of bronze for other projects when I replaced the old supports with robust, SS made properly.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote