I think I made his day...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GFC

Guru
My boat has been at Columbia Marine Center getting a new Westerbeke 15KW diesel generator installed after we put up with the old one sputtering and spitting for the past year or so. Today was the day we finally got to bring it back.

On board were me, the owner of the marina that did the work, and one of his new guys who had assisted with the installation at certain points. The reason the young guy came along was because he'd been up on the flybridge and was amazed about how good the view was.

So we pulled out of the marina and I told him to go .ahead and take the helm. His eyes lit up, his smile went ear to ear and I didn't have to ask him a second time.

So he drove the boat from just outside the marina through the raised railroad bridge then beneath another bridge that's just outside my marina. I asked him if he wanted to back it into the slip and he was quick to come out with a resounding "NO".

20190417-093729.jpg

20190417-093754.jpg

All things considered, I think he'd agree that this was a great day in his new career as a boat fixer.

That was nice. Maybe give him a bit more love for his work.

You made his day plus earned some points. It never hurts to have good relations with repair folks. I found out the favorite eatery of our mechanic and given him some gift certificates as a thank you for previous work and assistance. Seems like I never have to wait to have stuff done. Go figure.

That was a great gesture on your part. It took no effort on your part to make his day.

Shame we missed you while you were down this way.

Hope the new generator outlasts you! Cheers

That was a great gesture on your part. It took no effort on your part to make his day.

GFC,
AND he got bragging rights when he talks to his friends.
Your generosity to this young man will live beyond you and the young man will use the same teaching skills on his students.

Next time ask him to back it in reminding of two points, 'neutral is a gear... use it.' Talk with him about a low speed to maintain steerage.
Finally, stand by his shoulder, taking him through the backing process.
When the boat is safely inside the slip, tell him to take it out again and do it again. LOL Maybe 3 times will build his confidence .... OH YEA

LOL and if things begin to sour, tell him to take out and start over.

When his is confident.... shut down an engine..... more of a challenge and scary. LOL You might want him to practice backing straight, away from the slip.
(pick a point on land and back to it.) He will learn both rudder and speed control.

I'll bet the owner of the marina was pleased with your gesture and proud of his worker's developing ability and skills.

Last edited:
So can you share why you decided on a Westerbeke versus the other brands?

Would you be willing to share cost of Genny and the labor to install?

ASD getting ready to go north.......

Thanks for all the kind comments about letting Alex drive the boat. As to keeping on the good side of the marina crew, when I go in there I usually take a dozen donuts to keep 'em smiling.

The owner of Columbia Marine Center, Jim Toroni, has become more of a friend than just a guy I know who fixes boats. He and I have had many, many conversations that go beyond the bounds of boats and what's wrong with them. He and his wife have been guests of ours on the boat and he's done a few favors for me over the years.

An example, last winter when we were in AZ he called me and said he was headed down to the boat to install my deicer pump. He called a couple of hours later and said it kept tripping breakers so we discussed some possible solutions. He ended up hooking the deicer to the power pedestal next slip over and things were good. (He works on that boat and knows that it was unplugged for the winter.)

When I got back from AZ I went in to settle up with him. He wouldn't take any money for the 4 or so hours he and one of his workers spent down on the boat in sub-freezing weather. Coincidentally, a gift card for $100 at one of the nicest restaurants in town showed up at his office mail. He asked me about it but I denied any knowledge of it's origins.

ASD, I went with Westerbeke because that's what was in there before. Jim and I discussed the "rebuild vs new" on the old generator and he figured there wouldn't be a significant amount of difference cost-wise, plus with the new one everything would be new, not just the motor portion of the genset. His logic sold me on going all new.

As to the cost of the new one....just a whisker short of 20 boat bucks. I have some pics so when I have a few minutes I'll start a new thread.

Wifey B: Nice and thoughtful, GFC. It's those little things that show how you regard others. We have the ability through simple words and actions to entire change others' days. We have the choice of whether to change them for the better or worse. :ermm:

Back
Top Bottom