Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #61
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I should not post, as I have imbibed a bit. But, I like Marins post. Its spot on.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:51 AM   #62
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
When people (usually boaters) at the dock ask what kind of boat I have, I typically respond "a Seahorse Marine Coot. It's was made in China of steel and has a single, 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine."

When asked by those (usually not boaters) not in sight of the boat, I usually say "a 35-foot steel cruiser with a single diesel engine giving a maximum speed of 8 (statute) miles an hour."

Using the term "trawler" usually doesn't help to communicate information even though the boat perfectly fits Chapman's definition.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:08 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
When people (usually boaters) at the dock ask what kind of boat I have, I typically respond "a Seahorse Marine Coot. It's was made in China of steel and has a single, 80-horsepower John Deere diesel engine."

When asked by those (usually not boaters) not in sight of the boat, I usually say "a 35-foot steel cruiser with a single diesel engine giving a maximum speed of 8 (statute) miles an hour."

Using the term "trawler" usually doesn't help to communicate information even though the boat perfectly fits Chapman's definition.
I'll typically say, we just have a little cruiser. Just something to get out and enjoy the water.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:41 AM   #64
Scraping Paint

City: -
I simply tell people that we have a diesel cruiser. That seems to tell them all they want to know. I don't tell them the make, model or size and we are almost never asked what they are.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 05:30 AM   #65
FF
Guru

Trawler Hi Fi Sports Car , just marketing Hype.

Any more BS Hype terms???
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:30 AM   #66
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. FF. "...Any more BS Hype terms???" How about chick magnet?

Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 AM   #67
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I generally tell people that my boat is a 1936 Raised Deck Cruiser built in Sausalito, CA by Nunes Brothers Boat and Ways Company. If they want more information than that I will tell them more than they ever wanted to know about the boat including the details of all aspects of its construction and the major overhaul I did.

I don't tell them it is a trawler because it isn't by any rational definition. In fact I believe that the boat was originally used as a sport fisher. I even have the 1936 vintage bronze rod holders
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #68
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Looking at the boats discussed here and peoples avatars, I see a wide range of boats from pure displacement boats to sport fishers.

By some definitions my boat is a trawler (full displacement hull, top speed not much over nominal hull speed, etc.). hat said, my boat is more of a classic day cruiser despite having overnight accommodations. It is 79 years old after all, so it predates the trawler period by about 35 years.

So what makes a boat a trawler?
Any "Pleasure Boat" termed as a "Trawler" from onset at factory construction, having no net apparatus and no working catch-hold, is due to marketing hype... pure and simple. Now, that's not all bad... just true!

As has been said in previous posts... a true trawler is a working vessel with working persons aboard that use nets for catching fish to dump into its catch-hold.

I guess if a working trawler is refinished into a pleasure craft, with net apparatus removed and its catch-hold changed into other uses it could still be loosely termed a trawler. But it actually has lost the true meaning of "trawler" and should actually be called its new position as a "Pleasure Boat" - IMHO!
Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:59 AM   #69
FF
Guru

And the big problem with converting a fish boat is the boat will seldom float on her lines.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #70
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I like how they put it on the T&T list: "Trawlers and Trawlering" .... "trawlering" (as opposed to "trawling") being a state of mind, an approach to power cruising at mostly slow speeds. The Hatteras MY is not a recreational trawler styled boat but it does go "trawlering" quite nicely.

I do agree however that describing your boat simply as a trawler is wrong, unless you really do have an actual fishing trawler. We were waiting at the Socastee bridge in SC once, a bunch of boats were standing off waiting for an opening. Just as the tender was getting ready to open, a woman came on the radio identifying her boat as a trawler and could the bridge wait for them. They were not yet in sight. The bridge tender delayed the opening, thinking it was a commercial boat. Well this little green fiberglass cabin cruiser comes around the corner and down the stretch. The tender radios out to the trawler and asks their ETA. The woman comes on and says that's us coming at you right now. The tender had a fit, opened the bridge and came back and told her "next time describe your boat correctly... if you can make it here before I close fine otherwise I'm closing it when these bats are through". I don't recall whether they made it or not.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:12 AM   #71
Guru

City: gulf coast
Glad to hear that weight is the defining carachteristic. At. 38000 # my ACMY is more trawler than many here
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM   #72
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Frankly I find the concern over the definition of a trawler as a fishing vessel rather pedantic. Particularly so since trawler has been an accepted type of recreational boat for at least 40 years. I think that in the context of a recreational boating discussion, a boat that hauls nets for fish is a "fishing" trawler, while a trawler is a style of recreational boat. Context matters. Had I been interested in the attributes of "fishing" trawlers I would have posted my question to a pollock, cod and halibut commercial fishing forum.

When I was teaching I found the over reliance on definitions to be one of the biggest limitations to actually understanding the material. I always tried to get my students to err on the side of understanding concepts rather than spewing out definitions. That is all I have to say about that.
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:14 AM   #73
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Frankly I find the concern over the definition of a trawler as a fishing vessel rather pedantic. Particularly so since trawler has been an accepted type of recreational boat for at least 40 years. I think that in the context of a recreational boating discussion, a boat that hauls nets for fish is a "fishing" trawler, while a trawler is a style of recreational boat. Context matters. Had I been interested in the attributes of "fishing" trawlers I would have posted my question to a pollock, cod and halibut commercial fishing forum.

When I was teaching I found the over reliance on definitions to be one of the biggest limitations to actually understanding the material. I always tried to get my students to err on the side of understanding concepts rather than spewing out definitions. That is all I have to say about that.
Seeing your point, and knowing that a word's meanings can take avenues of travel through the years/decades... I propose the following.

F Trawler for fishers and P Trawler for pleasures. Calling both type boats by the same name of "Trawler" leaves no distinguishing reality as to which is which... and... there is a vast difference.

In fact, this "Trawler" designation to pleasure craft is pretty much meaningless except to advertisers/promoters selling boats!

Pleasure Boats are what I have always owned and plan to continue owning. Same as 99.33333% of what is currently owned by TF members.

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:00 AM   #74
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I tell them "it's like a fish boat w/o any fish gear".
And they, of course think of a troller if they know anything about boats.

In the 50s people called what we call trawlers "Heavy Cruisers". PNW Monk boats come to mind. Ten knot strip planked soft chine cruisers much heavier than the Chris Craft of the day and w a big anchor winch and ground tackle to match. Also the big Shane cruisers fit neatly in here. Usually their anchors were held firmly in a hawsepipe like a ship. Heavy Cruisers were frequently seen on their way to Alaska. Perhaps that's why many here are so dead set on big anchors and all chain. It's conformation of their trawlerman status.

There's two kinds of Trawlers and mention of the fishing varity on this "toy boat" forum is silly.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 PM   #75
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
The Coot's builder variously describes the boat as a "pocket cruiser" and "coastal cruiser." "Trawler" is not mentioned. Its long range and stregth is mentioned, not its slow speed.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:02 PM   #76
Scraping Paint

I find the notion of applying the term "trawler" to a recreational cabin cruiser to be ludicrous given what "trawl," "trawling," and "trawler" actually mean. To say that there are "fishing trawlers" and "recreational trawlers" is simply silly. That's like using the term "commercial airliner" to describe a Cessna 150.

I fully understand the reason why the term "trawler" has become applied to recreational boats, but to actually defend what in fact originated as a marketing scam is, to me, a fairly ignorant position to take. Why perpetuate a totally bogus description instead of defining one's boat accurately as Mark and the manufacturer of his boat have done?
Old 07-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #77
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Because boats often grouped into categories for recognition...like downeast, motortyacht, sportfish, convertible, center console, cuddy, express, trawler...et..etc

Not a perfect system used by many and it has changed with time.

Keep trying...maybe you will change the masses
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #78
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Keep trying...maybe you will change the masses
Oh, I don't expect to change the masses. "Ignorance is bliss" has become a well-used cliché for good reason, right?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:39 PM   #79
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
I don't think it is particularly pedantic when you are describing your boat to entities like, say, the aforementioned bridge tender (and his fellow tenders everywhere) or SAR personnel, especially when you are in an area where a lot of real trawlers operate. I like the use of "trawler style" power boat or pleasure boat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #80
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
Hi,

Not a Trawler, never was.

Slow cruise - 7 to 7 1/2 knots
Heavy - displacement 150,000 pounds
Pilothouse - not exactly

Originally - Compact Coastal Combat Vessel