I see a wide variety of boats here, so what exactly makes a boat a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDunn

Guru
Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Looking at the boats discussed here and peoples avatars, I see a wide range of boats from pure displacement boats to sport fishers.

By some definitions my boat is a trawler (full displacement hull, top speed not much over nominal hull speed, etc.). hat said, my boat is more of a classic day cruiser despite having overnight accommodations. It is 79 years old after all, so it predates the trawler period by about 35 years.

So what makes a boat a trawler?

Looking at the boats discussed here and peoples avatars, I see a wide range of boats from pure displacement boats to sport fishers.

By some definitions my boat is a trawler (full displacement hull, top speed not much over nominal hull speed, etc.). hat said, my boat is more of a classic day cruiser despite having overnight accommodations. It is 79 years old after all, so it predates the trawler period by about 35 years.

Before all the technical answers show up, if you want to call it one, then it is one. In spite of all the arguments you'll hear, there's no universal definition except the most basic which no boat here is. So just enjoy.

A trawler is a commercial fishing vessel designed to operate fishing trawls. Trawling is a method of fishing that involves actively dragging or pulling a trawl through the water behind one or more trawlers. Trawls are fishing nets that are pulled along the bottom of the sea or in midwater at a specified depth. A trawler may also operate two or more trawl nets simultaneously (double-rig and multi-rig). The nets are spread apart at the bottom by a pair of "doors," large, heavy plates angled outward to keep the mouth of the net open.

Now if you're talking about recreational boats that the marketing folks stuck the name "trawler" on in a (successful) attempt to fool gullible buyers into believing that their boats had the rugged attributes of a commercial fishing boat, the proper name for these boats is "cabin cruiser." Or as Eric Henning prefers, given the weight of these recreational, waterborne slugs, "heavy cruisers" which I feel is an equally appropriate name.

Recreational cruisers are about as similar to a trawler as my Ford pickup is to a Cat D10. My truck and the Cat both drive around on the ground. That's about it.

Over time, the marketing name for the slow displacement or semi-planing recreational cruiser has become applied to pretty much anything floating on the surface of the water as the owners strive to project, at least in their minds, the attributes of a true trawler onto their (mostly) plastic recreational vessels. So the name trawler is now applied to everything from Bayliner sport cruisers to express cruisers to pontoon boats.

I predict that the next phase of the marketing name game will be to apply the term "mini-trawler" to jetskis and other personal watercraft. I heard a fellow in Bellingham the other day refer to his kayak as a "paddle trawler," so you can see where this thing is going.

We own three boats, a small one and two big ones. The small one is an outboard sportfishing boat. The two larger ones, while each very different from each other in configuration and propulsion, are both cabin cruisers.

We have fairly close acquaintances in the UK who have a trawler. They use it to fish for langoustines off the west coast of Scotland.

Last edited:
A trawler is a heavy cruiser.

They are all cruisers.

The thing that makes trawlers is mass, displacement … weight.

Weight is the most identifying element of trawler.

I think nets are, Eric.:)

But I agree with your weight assessment when it comes to defining recreational cruisers.

:rofl: Now THAT was funny!:rofl:

I believe Marin's post is on target. I have a boat that was also designed to be a commercial troller, but my fish hold is sparkling clean and has never seen a fish under my ownership.

Eric, This is a Heavy Cruiser. :)

Forgot the picture. :banghead:
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435641401.196296.jpg

A trawler is a heavy cruiser.

They are all cruisers.

The thing that makes trawlers is mass, displacement … weight.

Weight is the most identifying element of trawler.

Eric,

I think your definition is one of the best I have ever heard. Your Willard and my Fales certainly fit into that category. I don't think I have ever heard of a 30' boat that displaces more than they do.

At least we're not discussing Anchors on this thread,yet. And Oliver that is a mighty fine cruiser indeed!

I am with Marin on this one.

A trawler is a trawler is a fishing boat.

But for the purpose of this all inclusive [ thank Providence ] forum just about any full displacment pleasure craft can be loosly considered a traler as well.

I have seen very few actual ex trawlers on this forum, full volume boats with standiong height in engine room, large commercial engines with big pitch props and large anchors of course of [ insert favorite here ].

In Oz it is not uncommon to see ex trawlers purchased and turned into great pleasure craft or exceptional live aboards.

But not everyone thinks a large ex commercial boat attractive, I do and their sea keeping and bar crossing ability is undoubted. Check out youtube for fishing boats crossing bars on the east coast of Aust. or in southern New Zealand.

This style of boat bring the crew and catch home safe but perhap a bit shaken.

For me the popular trawler types which most on here own are just too pretty.

But each to his / her own.

Regards.

David.

Trawlers? Here we're talking about slower boats with full living accommodations. We can argue for weeks as to whether our boats are "true" recreational trawlers: not worth the effort unless one likes to argue.

Our boat was built as a commercial fishing troller/ longliner . The reel and outriggers were removed and the hole for the reel was closed up . The fish hold is still there but the fish smell is gone .We really don't know what to call it . Maybe Eric and Marin can help . Eric I'm sure I have to much hp for the boats use now and I could use some weight in the fish hold .

Well, a longliner or troller isn't a trawler, either. It's, well, a longliner or a troller.

Enjoyed Marin's description. Since my Albin-25 predates the term "trawler" as applied to pleasure boats, I usually call the Du Nord a "Swedish Motor Cruiser".

What makes a boat a recreational "trawler ?

The size of the Advertising budget.

I guess my definition of a recreational trawler would be a non planning motor vessel capable of multiple day cruising excursions.

Ted

We occasionally troll lines behind our boat so would that make ours a troller or trawler?

Go slow, you'll be trawlering

So, based on the criteria I have seen here my Allied 36 is a trawler as long as I don't put the sails up since it is heavy displacement, has full living accommodations and won't go above 8 knots under power. These definitions seem a bit loose. I was hoping for some more specific criteria having to do with hull form, etc.

Clearly I was not asking about fishing boats, but recreational trawlers. commercial fishing boats vary a lot from region to region and even within a region. Here in Maine there are still a few full displacement boats that trawl for ground fish. They are very different from lobster boats that also haul nets or even scallop drags when not lobstering. Totally different boats used for the same purpose.

OC Diver,
What do you suppose makes a boat non-planing? For 95% of trawlers that would be weight.

Larry M,
What's the displacement of a Fisher 30?

Marin that's positively silly. Everyone knows what a trawler is and everyone knows what a trawler is. The silly stuff belongs in OTDE. The word "human" has two meanings. Male and female and everyone knows they each are way different!

Marty,
Does your boat's WL look like a bullet or an arrow? Is she full fwd? Is the rudder more of an aid or would things be really crazy w/o it?
I had a 27' troller years ago. A narrow double ender. It had a "Jimmie" gas truck engine in the middle of the wheelhouse/cabin. I ripped it our as you probably can imagine me doing. Put in a 25hp Palmer flat head marine gas 4 cyl engine in the fish hold. A bit fwd of center. Was perfect. Plenty of power and a well balanced boat. Have you got a fish hold that would accommodate a small diesel?

Moby Nick,
Great user name.
Your Albin is a bit of an exception. She's light. But at least the older versions are FD and the later closer to FD than most trawlers. THey are slow very seaworthy cruisers and I consider them trawlers. Weight may be the decisive element of trawlerdom but European vessels are focused more on efficiency. And weight may be the most prominent element of "trawler" most of the time there are exceptions. And for efficiency weight is the enemy. If you want a low fuel burn think light. The Albin 25 is such an example. Half a gallon an hour if not overdriven. Hard to beat as a small trawler too.

Last edited:
Larry M,
What's the displacement of a Fisher 30?

Eric,

From an old brochure the Fisher 30 displacement was 14,560 of which 6,500 was ballast. That's getting close, but most of the literature on the W30 I have seen sets the displacement at 15,000-17,000.

Low powered is more common to trawlers than weight. You have 25 to 50' trawlers of vastly different weights but most are low powered.

Y'all need to get out on a boat and enjoy the waters. Sounds like some of y'all are so bored you'll debate even the most trivial of subjects.

worth repeating

Now if you're talking about recreational boats that the marketing folks stuck the name "trawler" on in a (successful) attempt to fool gullible buyers into believing that their boats had the rugged attributes of a commercial fishing boat, the proper name for these boats is "cabin cruiser." Or as Eric Henning prefers, given the weight of these recreational, waterborne slugs, "heavy cruisers" which I feel is an equally appropriate name.

The word "trawler" is in my opinion a marketing term with little or no meaning in todays world.

I prefer to call boats:

Passagemaker A boat that is designed to cross oceans and all that encompasses.

Coastal Cruiser A boat that is designed to be operated along a coast line.

The vast majority of boats owned by folks here are Coastal Cruisers.

Back
Top Bottom