Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2015, 09:48 AM   #141
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Now that we have gone completely insane over the word trawler...lets get back to the real issue of calling it a "flybridge".....

And RTF....your turn for saloon comes up next...
"flybridge" On a "P-Trawler" (As I recall from past threads... Marin and some others hate that - in my opinion perfectly good) abbreviation of flying Bridge. Ahhh the semantics of English Language. Today there are soooo many acronyms they are beginning to stumble over each other!

After RT's chance for saloon - vs - salon... I'm sure a new BSing word can be brought into play. However, Marin's "gofer" should be banned! McFly was what the "Family" used to designate their slaves - LOL

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #142
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
See the pattern developing?

But you all figure out what's right...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #143
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
caltexflanc, if you look at the dates that I posted on the blueprint and the advertisement you will notice that they were 1970 and 1971. At the time it was not Kadey Krogen. That association came about in the mid 70s. I was trying to make the point that the term trawler was used for a boat designed and sold by a highly respected designer/architect. And yes, he called it a trawler yacht, to differentiate it from a trawler fishing boat. And now Marin would have us believe that James S. Krogen was dishonest and Wifey b is a Gopher. Does the FACT that I carry a couple of sportsman nets on my "trawler" for shrimping make a difference ? I hate my anchor,,, its a (ad lib here) I'm going to shoot it, should I use a 12 gauge or a 45/70. Its a real bear of a decision Everyone is allowed and entitled to there opinion, but I feel like Marin Wants to "Marinize" the term trawler, and by Marinize I mean make it whatever he says it should be. Mr Krogen designated some of his designs as Trawler Yachts as early as 1970, At that time it wasnt the most popular type of boat, folks wanted the motor yachts like ChrisCraft, Hatteras, Trojan, etc. With go fast abilities. I dont think he knew at the time just how popular they would become. I definitely dont think he was being misleading or dishonest. But, what do I know, I only have the evidence, in hand, to prove my point.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:44 AM   #144
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Now that we have gone completely insane over the word trawler...lets get back to the real issue of calling it a "flybridge".....

And RTF....your turn for saloon comes up next...
More of this would require a trip to the saloon although wonder if perhaps some participants had already been there.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #145
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
caltexflanc, if you look at the dates that I posted on the blueprint and the advertisement you will notice that they were 1970 and 1971. At the time it was not Kadey Krogen. That association came about in the mid 70s. I was trying to make the point that the term trawler was used for a boat designed and sold by a highly respected designer/architect. And yes, he called it a trawler yacht, to differentiate it from a trawler fishing boat. And now Marin would have us believe that James S. Krogen was dishonest and Wifey b is a Gopher. Does the FACT that I carry a couple of sportsman nets on my "trawler" for shrimping make a difference ? I hate my anchor,,, its a (ad lib here) I'm going to shoot it, should I use a 12 gauge or a 45/70. Its a real bear of a decision Everyone is allowed and entitled to there opinion, but I feel like Marin Wants to "Marinize" the term trawler, and by Marinize I mean make it whatever he says it should be. Mr Krogen designated some of his designs as Trawler Yachts as early as 1970, At that time it wasnt the most popular type of boat, folks wanted the motor yachts like ChrisCraft, Hatteras, Trojan, etc. With go fast abilities. I dont think he knew at the time just how popular they would become. I definitely dont think he was being misleading or dishonest. But, what do I know, I only have the evidence, in hand, to prove my point.
You got it. My lobster boat is no longer used to catch lobsters so I guess I have to find a new description for it.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #146
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Here's my new ride.

You say it's a car?

Everybody's calling them rides these days. And everybody knows what a ride is but I hope they get over it as "ride" for car is far more stupid than trawler for a cruiser. Ride isn't even the same kind of word. Probably coined by middle school kids. Not Junior High school kids but Middle School kids. Ride being a verb and car being a noun .. naming something. At least cruiser and trawler are nouns. Just naming different things.

And we all (-1) know what those different things are. We all know that there's no need to mention fishing boat trawlers on a pleasure boat trawler website. All but one.

But I think I see his point. Like car, trawler was a well established word but some idgits decided to use the word to describe/name another vessel that was not a trawler. Probably to put hair on the chest of pleasureboat owners or sell boats or both. But they had well established names before. So they hijacked the word trawler and applied it to heavy cruisers. But there's so many more pleasureboat trawlers than real trawlers that the main meaning of the word changed from fishing boat trawler to pleasureboat trawler. So now there's two different but somewhat similar vessels described/named by the same word. Shouldn't be a problem as long as one is in the exclusive company of one or the other. And we are.

But Marin dosn't like trawler being used to name pleasureboat trawlers and I don't like ride to name a car. One is more stupid than the other but I'm an old man set in my ways. But as a young man (still working at a job) Marin should be more flexible. So I think Marin's point is valid but he's just way way too late making it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1970 copy.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	41640  

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:09 AM   #147
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Seems I've entered the Twilight Zone.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM   #148
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Kulass44 I love your post. "bear of a decision" ect ect.

And I agree w you that Krogen wasn't doing anything dishonest. He was transfering the essence of ruggedness from north sea trawlers to pleasureboats. It was an honest transfer as trawlers (pleasureboat) are more rugged than cruisers.

Marin Marinizing trawler back to fishing boats and heavy cruiser applied to heavy power driven cruisers is fine w me. I'd like that very much but it's impossible now.

And Dimmer don't worry your lobsterboat will always be a lobsterboat but it could get a different name.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:30 AM   #149

City: Sanford, FL
Vessel Name: Bold Eagle
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 36 Sedan
You guys got me thinking, what was the deal with the switch labeled "steaming Light" on my non-steam powered sailboat. Thank God I sold that thing. New owners problem now.
BoldEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #150
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
As long as we are going on about language shift, I'd like to take a poke at WifeyB (no pun intended about the use of the word "like". I find it amusing and sometimes endearing, but it does conjure images of a bleach blond surfer girl type twisting her hair with one finger, a slight head tilt, a whimsical look on her face (vapid?) whilst chewing gum and saying "and I was like,,,then she was like,,,". My daughter comes to mind. She is very well educated (PHD at 24) but is very much a girl of her times. She talks just like her age group. I dont think there is anything we can do about the evolution of our language and my use of it is different than my grandfathers in lots of ways. That doesnt make me right, or him. However, on the trawler monikor, no one else has offered up anymore evidence either way. Just opinion. I do know a lobsterboat when I see one. Even if no crustacean has ever crossed its decks its a lobsterboat. Same with a trawler. Like Johnny Cash said, "if its sounds like country music it is country music". Shania Twain called her stuff country but the general public said "nope, not country, its pop". They knew.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #151
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...your turn for saloon comes up next...". Re-read post #97 about 50 posts ago.

Old 07-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #152
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I guess I have to give up my gunnels now thanks to Marin or at least insert a few 12 gauge bear killers into them.

Oh, I like this one.

SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:30 PM   #153
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...your turn for saloon comes up next...". Re-read post #97 about 50 posts ago.

Oh I didn't miss it...you weren't insistent enough...

Or in other words...just not loaded for bear....
Old 07-02-2015, 01:34 PM   #154
Guru

here comes a shutdown or a purge....
Old 07-02-2015, 01:39 PM   #155
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulas44 View Post
As long as we are going on about language shift, I'd like to take a poke at WifeyB (no pun intended about the use of the word "like". I find it amusing and sometimes endearing, but it does conjure images of a bleach blond surfer girl type twisting her hair with one finger, a slight head tilt, a whimsical look on her face (vapid?) whilst chewing gum and saying "and I was like,,,then she was like,,,". My daughter comes to mind. She is very well educated (PHD at 24) but is very much a girl of her times. She talks just like her age group.
Wifey B: I like like that you know dude.... Hey I do the blonde beach girl routine fine, except mine isn't bleached. I have a PHD like your daughter but I maintain a certain way of my casual writing and like pops up and dude, you know dude. When I'm posting on a forum I'm not the doctorate, teaching, trying to wear an outfit acceptable in the classroom me. I don't chew gum by the way. Do lick a mean cone of ice cream...maybe picture that instead. I hang with younger a lot and we do spend time with our Brat Pack...hehe. Three 19 year olds. Not our kids...but a lot of time with them. We're very casual at home and on the boat too. Well, mostly. Now last night was not so much. Phantom of the Opera and dinner at db Bistro Moderne.

I use "like" like others use "honestly" or other words. Just habit that I could break but don't want to. I can be a BBBBB and an educator. Why our CFO stripped her way through college. Aren't we all a combo of many parts rather than easily labeled.

So I like have no problem with you poking. Just watch where you poke.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:41 PM   #156
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimer2 View Post
You got it. My lobster boat is no longer used to catch lobsters so I guess I have to find a new description for it.
As a resident of almost downeast Maine I have to tell you that your boat is not a lobster boat. It is a lobster yacht. At least that is the terminology here. If you want I will ask Jarvis Newman the next time I see him to get a definitive answer
TDunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:51 PM   #157
Guru

k

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
As a resident of almost downeast Maine I have to tell you that your boat is not a lobster boat. It is a lobster yacht. At least that is the terminology here. If you want I will ask Jarvis Newman the next time I see him to get a definitive answer
Lobster yacht is I believe the common term and I would think trawler yacht is OK with most too.

But people can be lazy or efficient and short for lobster yacht doesn't work as well as trawler yacht.

If you just want to leave them both as yacht..no big deal...but then neither is trawler.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #158
Guru

And now for the definitive test. I went down to the marina and took pictures of boats there. The question about each boat is - Is this boat a trawler. Note that no fishing boats were photographed so I am using trawler in the sense of a recreational trawler. Note all of the boats pictured have accommodations for at least a couple.

Here we go.

Boat -1

Boat-2

Boat-3

Boat-4

Boat-5

Boat-6

Old 07-02-2015, 01:54 PM   #159
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Not so long ago a guy on the bank of the Miami River called me "Trawler Trash" as I cruised by and added some turbulence to his fishing spot. Knowing now that I wasn't even piloting a "trawler", his reference to such has no basis in fact, thereby relieving me any residual guilt or responsibility surrounding the incident. I feel better now.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #160
Guru

Here are the rest of the boats for my "is this a trawler?" question.

Boat-7

Boat-8

Boat-9

Boat-10

Boat-11

Boat-12

I await your deliberations.