Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM   #102
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
when bridge tenders ask, I say "the boat with the yellow pilothouse roof."
Oh, I thought the yellow top on your boat meant it was a water cab.

Donsan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:42 PM   #103
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Dimmer I think troll is the right word in the context that you brought up. "Trolling for ideas" seems flyable to me whereas "Trawling" for ideas dosn't compute to me. Trawl refers to a trawl net that is dragged across the bottom held down w "doors". I don't think it can be used for the activity of searching.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:43 PM   #104
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Oh, I thought the yellow top on your boat meant it was a water cab.
Sorry, the boat is not for hire. The yellow is for practical reasons: to be more readily seen and identified.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:51 PM   #105
TF Site Team

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Baobab
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788
Eric, I am sure 'troll" is correct as well but..
www.thefreedictionary.com/trawl

b. An act of searching for or examining something: A trawl of local records produced some leads. v. trawled, trawl·ing, trawls.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #106
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
The only fly in the whole "not really a trawler" argument ointment, is that never has a KK42 been called anything else. I dont know if that was the originall intent by James Krogen when he designed this type of boat or if it was marketing applied later but nevertheless, anyone that sees it or a picture of it immediately says "TRAWLER". And as far as I know its always been called that. I will dig up some of the originall blueprints and things on my boat and see if there is any reference to being a trawler.
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #107
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OK Good Dimmer I'll acept your expertise. While one is trawling for fish it could be said he's "searching" for fish. Sounds reasonable.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #108
Veteran Member

I see a trawler as a boat you could live on for extended time, that takes its sweet time between destinations, and is safe in heavy seas. That was my criteria for finding my 6 months of the year winter home. A houseboat doesn't make it, can't take the seas. A sport boat cabin cruiser doesn't make it. A convertible fishing boat could, but walk around and occupation of any deck makes it a trawler to me. I guess what matters is the eye of the beholder. And mine will get outriggers and be used for fishing!!!
Joebad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:58 PM   #109
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Don't all of you have boats that need fixing, they're always something broken that usually keeps me busy.

Some people just like hearing themselves I guess.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 PM   #110
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
[QUOTE=BandB;345480]Wifey B:

Everyone here had some vision of trawler that told them they belonged here.

QUOTE]

Not everyone! I came to TF because I stumbled upon it and felt there are some intelligent boaters on board. Cause... after everything is said and done... that's what we all really is: Pleasure Boaters; Not Trawlers
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:05 PM   #111
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
I think there is a troller in the house.

6 pages and going with no mention of an anchor, slipping you are.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #112
Guru

I dug up a few blueprints of my boat. The one I am looking at right now is titled ARRANGEMENT OF DECKS 51 FOOT TRAWLER YACHT PACIFIC MODEL (it was in caps) dated 7-27-71 drawing number 303-P2 Traditional Yacht Builders Cleveland Tennessee. James S. Krogen & Co. Inc. Naval Architects: Marine Engineers 1480 Brickell Avenue Miami Florida. I have an ad from Motor Boating and Sailing magazine November 1970 for a Krogen 50 foot Trawler Yacht....For luxuriouis offshore cruising. Not my words, thats what the add says. So, these boats were designed by one of the most respected men in the business as TRAWLERS. And sold as such, apparently. Befor it was popular, or possibly thats what made the word popular.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:09 PM   #113
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
9 out of 10 will assume you're talk'in rec trawlers ... because that's what comes to mind when you use the word. Try it.
Oh, I know. When you're talking to recreational cruising people they have an image of what "trawler" is because they've totally fallen for the bogus branding hype that was launched so many years ago.

But when I talk to friends who aren't involved in boating at all, if I say "trawler" they either think we have a fishing boat or they have no idea what kind of boat I'm talking about. But when I say "diesel cruiser" they at least know exactly what the boat is used for, which then paints a picture in their mind of the basic kind of boat it is--- a cabin cruiser.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #114
Scraping Paint

Quote:
OK Good Marin,
Haven't seen one of your OB boats up close but since it has specialized stuff for fishing it is indeed a "Sport Fishing Boat" and I stand corrected.

Here you go, Eric. This is "Malolo," our 17' Arima outboard sportfishing boat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435799907.183350.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	41619
Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #115
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. SCOTTE. I don't think they heard you. The p*ssing is making too much noise...

Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 PM   #116
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Dimmer I think troll is the right word in the context that you brought up. "Trolling for ideas" seems flyable to me whereas "Trawling" for ideas dosn't compute to me. Trawl refers to a trawl net that is dragged across the bottom held down w "doors". I don't think it can be used for the activity of searching.

:erm: Eric, have you read some of the advice offered around here? Half of my contributions alone can be considered dragged across the bottom.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:48 PM   #117
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin;345555
But when I talk to friends who aren't involved in boating at all, if I say "trawler" they either think we have a fishing boat or they have no idea what kind of boat I'm talking about. But when I say "diesel cruiser" they at least know exactly what the boat is [B
used [/B]for, which then paints a picture in their minds.
There you go again Marin labeling your vessel something that it bears no relationship to. It's a shame your not more of a stickler for the traditional meaning of words. For hundreds of years a cruiser has referred to a type of warship. While the specific type and pupose has changed over that time, it still refers to a warship. Now I know that you think that language is fluid, evolves over time, and that words gain new meanings, but your vessel in noway resembles a naval cruiser and to descibe it as "Diesel Cruiser" is frankly absurd. Wish you had more respect for the traditional classification of vessels.

Now Marin you know I'm only poking fun at your diatribe on recreational vessels being called trawlers. Frankly I really don't care how people classify their boats.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:11 PM   #118
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
For hundreds of years a cruiser has referred to a type of warship.
That's true. And actually when I tell people what we have I usually say "cabin cruiser," not just "cruiser."

At least "cruiser" describes what the boat does--- cruises. As opposed to "trawler" which, unless the boat actually IS a trawler, bears no resemblance whatsoever to what the boat does.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #119
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Wonder what criteria Yachtworld uses...they have a category for Trawlers and it's a mixed bag in there...fishing and pleasure...but over 2800 listings last I saw.

More listing people there than participating in this thread for sure....

Speaking of listings...what say the professional brokers about using the term "trawler" for a pleasure boat?
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 PM   #120
Guru

I dont think anyone here would be willing to say that they are more knowledgeable about boats than James S. Krogen was. He called the boats he designed trawlers. Not all of his designs were trawlers, his co. designed lots of boats, even sailboats. But, the particular boat(s) we are discussing in this thread,trawlers, was what he called the boats he designed like my 51 and the hugely popular 42 later. I really dont know if these boats started the trend or capitalized on it earlier than others but I do know they were called trawlers as early as 1970. Given this evidence I propose that we should allow the Krogen Trawler designs to call themselves "officially" trawlers. Mostly because that was the name there "father" gave them. I dont know what to tell everyone else to call there boats, maybe ask the designer/builder ?