I see a wide variety of boats here, so what exactly makes a boat a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only about half the boats here are trawlers Marin.

Really? Well then the commercial fishermen on this forum are certainly keeping a low profile.

I'm surprised at you, Eric. I always figured you were way too smart and way too knowledgable to fall for this "recreational trawler" BS. Of all the people on here, I figured you were one of the few that recognized the difference between an accurate description of a boat and a hyped up marketing scam because your background is based in the reality of boats, not the marketing crap dreamed up to fool buyers into thinking they were getting something that they weren't.

Bet you the commercial fisherman checking out the Trawler Forum quickly realize we're not discussing fishing trawlers here.

I don't think anyone here is confused about whether or not they have a fishing boat. They're just using the language in a dumb-ass way.

Wifey B: By that argument, much language is used in a dumb-ass way. But if it works, I say it's not dumb-ass. I might say arguing over what a Trawler is qualifies as dumb-ass.

Language changes. New words are created. The use of existing words changes over time. However, once a word becomes generally accepted and conveys it's intended meaning, I don't personally call it dumb-ass anymore.

Are you this way with all words or just "trawler?"

I understand you can't help yourself. It's like my hubby when he sees pictures hanging uneven on a wall or a tilted picture. Really hard for him to resist doing anything and he notices them all. Of course that skill of observation helps in other ways. I'm sure your insistence on precision and adherence to the origins in language is a part of your brain's inner workings that helps you immensely in other ways.

The words "troll" and "trolling" have to drive you crazy. Their uses are so extremely disparate.

When I ordered my boat, I didn't know the Chapman definition of a "recreational trawler." I bought it because the boat fit my primary criteria (price, size/accommodations, railings, decks and their access, etcetera).

Marin you say your OB boat is a sport fishing boat. What makes it "sport" and what features make it a fishing boat. Looks like just a boat to me.

I'm beginning to feel like a bloody first grade teacher here......

SPORT per Webster's Dictionary: To play in a happy and lively way.

FISHING per Webster's Dictionary: The sport or business of catching fish.

What features make this particular boat a fishing boat? Well, it's designed specifically to accommodate downriggers and rod holders, it has a large fish well and two bait tanks built in, and the designer and manufacturer, Mr. Juichi Arima, said that his intent was to design a sportfishing boat.

Now if I used the boat for commercial fishing I would call it fishing boat. But since I use it for non-commercial fishing, aka sport fishing, a form of play, I call it a sport-fishing boat.

To help you with the concept of catching fish for fun, aka sport, I have attached the following photos. While I realize the creatures I am holding in each photo appear quite different from each other, I can assure you that both of them are, indeed, fish. (If you want more than just my word for this I can refer you to some ichthyology reference books.)

I was not paid to catch either one of these fish, nor did I sell them. Nor do I have a commercial BC fishing license. Therefore, I was not fishing commercially, I was fishing for SPORT (see the definition above).

Oh, one more thing since I know you'll call me on it at some point. I refer to my boat as an OUTBOARD sportfishing boat, right? Here's why.

OUTBOARD MOTOR per Webster's Dictionary: A small, internal combustion engine with propeller integrally attached for mounting at the stern of a small boat. (This definition is a bit vague because "small" is open to interpretation. I would not consider a 300 hp Yamaha to be a "small" engine, nor would I consider a nearly-30-foot Grady White to be a "small boat.")

But regardless of the "small" business, our boat is an OUTBOARD boat because there are two of them mounted on the transom.

I hope I have cleared up your confusion, at least to a degree.

Attachments

• 40 pounds.jpg
    40 pounds.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2916911810.jpg
    image-2916911810.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Are you this way with all words or just "trawler?"

So far as I know right now, just "trawler." As I've said (already) I use words today that didn't exist 30 years ago and that's fine. I have no problem with the evolution of a language where the evolution makes sense.

What I have a problem with are words that have a long-established meaning with absolutely no reason to change that meaning that get bastardized by some manufactures and marketing people as a way to fool people into thinking they're getting a better product, a boat in this case, than they actually are.

Calling your boat, whatever it is, a trawler is the end result of nothing more than what started out as a marketing scam. You're too lazy or ignorant or simply don't care enough to call your boat what it really is, which isn't a trawler unless you and your husband are actually out fishing with trawl gear.

Last edited:
People come to the Trawler Forum, to trawl for answers to boating questions. Some trawl for ideas, some trawl just for fun and some trawl for boating related problems that others have found a cure for. So surely that makes all of us trawlers by definition?
Now some of us are slim, some short, some a little wide amidships, some fast and some pretty slow....but we are all still trawlers defined by what we do. Trawl on the Trawler Forum.

Applying this logic to boats, if we trawl for fish, we have a fishing trawler....if we trawl for pleasure, we have pleasure trawlers. Simple huh? :)

People come to the Trawler Forum, to trawl for answers to boating questions. Some trawl for ideas, some trawl just for fun and some trawl for boating related problems that others have found a cure for. So surely that makes all of us trawlers by definition?
:)

Well, in that context, I think you're right.:)

OK Good Marin,
Haven't seen one of your OB boats up close but since it has specialized stuff for fishing it is indeed a "Sport Fishing Boat" and I stand corrected.

Guess I'm not as smart as you thought (thanks anyway) but I'm fall'in hook line and sinker (since you're a fisherman) for the "recreational trawler BS". As it conforms to the word "vernacular" in word usage. When I talk to people and use the word trawler most everyone knows exactly what I mean ... Recreational Trawler. Often I'm surpprised that so many know what it means. And since they do ...... that's what it means. And when you want to talk about commercial fishing trawlers you need to announce that the subject is commercial trawlers and not rec trawlers because 9 out of 10 will assume you're talk'in rec trawlers ... because that's what comes to mind when you use the word. Try it.

Last edited:
Dimmer I think troll is the right word in the context that you brought up. "Trolling for ideas" seems flyable to me whereas "Trawling" for ideas dosn't compute to me. Trawl refers to a trawl net that is dragged across the bottom held down w "doors". I don't think it can be used for the activity of searching.

Oh, I thought the yellow top on your boat meant it was a water cab.

Sorry, the boat is not for hire. ;) The yellow is for practical reasons: to be more readily seen and identified. :dance:

The only fly in the whole "not really a trawler" argument ointment, is that never has a KK42 been called anything else. I dont know if that was the originall intent by James Krogen when he designed this type of boat or if it was marketing applied later but nevertheless, anyone that sees it or a picture of it immediately says "TRAWLER". And as far as I know its always been called that. I will dig up some of the originall blueprints and things on my boat and see if there is any reference to being a trawler.

OK Good Dimmer I'll acept your expertise. While one is trawling for fish it could be said he's "searching" for fish. Sounds reasonable.

I see a trawler as a boat you could live on for extended time, that takes its sweet time between destinations, and is safe in heavy seas. That was my criteria for finding my 6 months of the year winter home. A houseboat doesn't make it, can't take the seas. A sport boat cabin cruiser doesn't make it. A convertible fishing boat could, but walk around and occupation of any deck makes it a trawler to me. I guess what matters is the eye of the beholder. And mine will get outriggers and be used for fishing!!!

Don't all of you have boats that need fixing, they're always something broken that usually keeps me busy.

Some people just like hearing themselves I guess.

Wifey B:

Everyone here had some vision of trawler that told them they belonged here.

QUOTE]

Not everyone! I came to TF because I stumbled upon it and felt there are some intelligent boaters on board. Cause... after everything is said and done... that's what we all really is: Pleasure Boaters; Not Trawlers :dance: :speed boat:

Last edited:
I think there is a troller in the house.

internet-trolls-experience-meaning-by-provocation-and-humiliation-ipredator.png
images

6 pages and going with no mention of an anchor, slipping you are.

I dug up a few blueprints of my boat. The one I am looking at right now is titled ARRANGEMENT OF DECKS 51 FOOT TRAWLER YACHT PACIFIC MODEL (it was in caps) dated 7-27-71 drawing number 303-P2 Traditional Yacht Builders Cleveland Tennessee. James S. Krogen & Co. Inc. Naval Architects: Marine Engineers 1480 Brickell Avenue Miami Florida. I have an ad from Motor Boating and Sailing magazine November 1970 for a Krogen 50 foot Trawler Yacht....For luxuriouis offshore cruising. Not my words, thats what the add says. So, these boats were designed by one of the most respected men in the business as TRAWLERS. And sold as such, apparently. Befor it was popular, or possibly thats what made the word popular.

9 out of 10 will assume you're talk'in rec trawlers ... because that's what comes to mind when you use the word. Try it.

Oh, I know. When you're talking to recreational cruising people they have an image of what "trawler" is because they've totally fallen for the bogus branding hype that was launched so many years ago.

But when I talk to friends who aren't involved in boating at all, if I say "trawler" they either think we have a fishing boat or they have no idea what kind of boat I'm talking about. But when I say "diesel cruiser" they at least know exactly what the boat is used for, which then paints a picture in their mind of the basic kind of boat it is--- a cabin cruiser.

OK Good Marin,
Haven't seen one of your OB boats up close but since it has specialized stuff for fishing it is indeed a "Sport Fishing Boat" and I stand corrected.

Here you go, Eric. This is "Malolo," our 17' Arima outboard sportfishing boat.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435799907.183350.jpg

Dimmer I think troll is the right word in the context that you brought up. "Trolling for ideas" seems flyable to me whereas "Trawling" for ideas dosn't compute to me. Trawl refers to a trawl net that is dragged across the bottom held down w "doors". I don't think it can be used for the activity of searching.

:erm: Eric, have you read some of the advice offered around here? Half of my contributions alone can be considered dragged across the bottom. :D

Marin;345555 But when I talk to friends who aren't involved in boating at all said:
used [/B]for, which then paints a picture in their minds.

There you go again Marin labeling your vessel something that it bears no relationship to. It's a shame your not more of a stickler for the traditional meaning of words. For hundreds of years a cruiser has referred to a type of warship. While the specific type and pupose has changed over that time, it still refers to a warship. Now I know that you think that language is fluid, evolves over time, and that words gain new meanings, but your vessel in noway resembles a naval cruiser and to descibe it as "Diesel Cruiser" is frankly absurd. Wish you had more respect for the traditional classification of vessels. :rofl:

Now Marin you know I'm only poking fun at your diatribe on recreational vessels being called trawlers. Frankly I really don't care how people classify their boats.

Ted

For hundreds of years a cruiser has referred to a type of warship.

That's true. And actually when I tell people what we have I usually say "cabin cruiser," not just "cruiser."

At least "cruiser" describes what the boat does--- cruises. As opposed to "trawler" which, unless the boat actually IS a trawler, bears no resemblance whatsoever to what the boat does.

Wonder what criteria Yachtworld uses...they have a category for Trawlers and it's a mixed bag in there...fishing and pleasure...but over 2800 listings last I saw.

More listing people there than participating in this thread for sure....:D

Speaking of listings...what say the professional brokers about using the term "trawler" for a pleasure boat?

Last edited:
I dont think anyone here would be willing to say that they are more knowledgeable about boats than James S. Krogen was. He called the boats he designed trawlers. Not all of his designs were trawlers, his co. designed lots of boats, even sailboats. But, the particular boat(s) we are discussing in this thread,trawlers, was what he called the boats he designed like my 51 and the hugely popular 42 later. I really dont know if these boats started the trend or capitalized on it earlier than others but I do know they were called trawlers as early as 1970. Given this evidence I propose that we should allow the Krogen Trawler designs to call themselves "officially" trawlers. Mostly because that was the name there "father" gave them. I dont know what to tell everyone else to call there boats, maybe ask the designer/builder ? :)

Back
Top Bottom