Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Go slow, you'll be trawlering

Old 06-30-2015, 10:15 AM   #22
Guru

City: Maine Coast
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
So, based on the criteria I have seen here my Allied 36 is a trawler as long as I don't put the sails up since it is heavy displacement, has full living accommodations and won't go above 8 knots under power. These definitions seem a bit loose. I was hoping for some more specific criteria having to do with hull form, etc.

Clearly I was not asking about fishing boats, but recreational trawlers. commercial fishing boats vary a lot from region to region and even within a region. Here in Maine there are still a few full displacement boats that trawl for ground fish. They are very different from lobster boats that also haul nets or even scallop drags when not lobstering. Totally different boats used for the same purpose.

TDunn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
OC Diver,
What do you suppose makes a boat non-planing? For 95% of trawlers that would be weight.

Larry M,
What's the displacement of a Fisher 30?

Marin that's positively silly. Everyone knows what a trawler is and everyone knows what a trawler is. The silly stuff belongs in OTDE. The word "human" has two meanings. Male and female and everyone knows they each are way different!

Marty,
Does your boat's WL look like a bullet or an arrow? Is she full fwd? Is the rudder more of an aid or would things be really crazy w/o it?
I had a 27' troller years ago. A narrow double ender. It had a "Jimmie" gas truck engine in the middle of the wheelhouse/cabin. I ripped it our as you probably can imagine me doing. Put in a 25hp Palmer flat head marine gas 4 cyl engine in the fish hold. A bit fwd of center. Was perfect. Plenty of power and a well balanced boat. Have you got a fish hold that would accommodate a small diesel?

Moby Nick,
Great user name.
Your Albin is a bit of an exception. She's light. But at least the older versions are FD and the later closer to FD than most trawlers. THey are slow very seaworthy cruisers and I consider them trawlers. Weight may be the decisive element of trawlerdom but European vessels are focused more on efficiency. And weight may be the most prominent element of "trawler" most of the time there are exceptions. And for efficiency weight is the enemy. If you want a low fuel burn think light. The Albin 25 is such an example. Half a gallon an hour if not overdriven. Hard to beat as a small trawler too.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Larry M,
What's the displacement of a Fisher 30?
Eric,

From an old brochure the Fisher 30 displacement was 14,560 of which 6,500 was ballast. That's getting close, but most of the literature on the W30 I have seen sets the displacement at 15,000-17,000.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:44 AM   #25
Guru

City: gulf coast
Low powered is more common to trawlers than weight. You have 25 to 50' trawlers of vastly different weights but most are low powered.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #26
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Oliver

That makes you a Trawler trolling
Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #27
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portuguese View Post
Oliver

That makes you a Trawler trolling

Perfect the best of both worlds!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #28
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Y'all need to get out on a boat and enjoy the waters. Sounds like some of y'all are so bored you'll debate even the most trivial of subjects.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #29
Guru

worth repeating

Quote:
Now if you're talking about recreational boats that the marketing folks stuck the name "trawler" on in a (successful) attempt to fool gullible buyers into believing that their boats had the rugged attributes of a commercial fishing boat, the proper name for these boats is "cabin cruiser." Or as Eric Henning prefers, given the weight of these recreational, waterborne slugs, "heavy cruisers" which I feel is an equally appropriate name.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The word "trawler" is in my opinion a marketing term with little or no meaning in todays world.

I prefer to call boats:

Passagemaker A boat that is designed to cross oceans and all that encompasses.

Coastal Cruiser A boat that is designed to be operated along a coast line.

The vast majority of boats owned by folks here are Coastal Cruisers.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #31
Guru

Grand Banks come in planing and non planing. The difference is not weight but power.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:25 AM   #32
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The word "trawler" is in my opinion a marketing term with little or no meaning in todays world.

I prefer to call boats:

Passagemaker A boat that is designed to cross oceans and all that encompasses.

Coastal Cruiser A boat that is designed to be operated along a coast line.

The vast majority of boats owned by folks here are Coastal Cruisers.
Yup.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:27 AM   #33
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
bayview,
But they're both heavy. Re #31.
How old is that quote? I think it still applies.
Most are overpowered IMO. Re #25.

Kevin,
Heavy Cruiser is what I've been say'in for years it should be instead of "trawler". So if you can convince everybody to switch I'll definitely be onboard. Coastal Cruiser works too but it does not translate directly into ... trawler. They can lack the primary essence ...... heavy. Comes right back to "Heavy Cruiser".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #34
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
OC Diver,
What do you suppose makes a boat non-planing? For 95% of trawlers that would be weight.
To expand on my definition, when the engine (s) and fuel tanks size and placement become critical to the desired planning hull speed, it's probably not a trawler anymore. The original version of my boat had a single 120 or 135 Ford Lehman. It was displacement speed only and anywhere from 80 to 300 HP wouldn't change it significantly. Mine was intended to sort of plane, so Hp and size of fuel tanks were critical. Repowering to displacement speed allowed me to make changes that have no bearing on hull speed but would be bad for a planning hull. Otherwise the boats were basically the same. So to answer your question Eric, it's based partly on how much space and weight capacity you have to dedicate to the drive train (s) and required fuel to feed them.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:21 PM   #35
Guru

City: Venice Louisiana
I have NEVER heard or read where the owner of a KK42 or similar asked "what is a trawler ?" They already know. And, we probably wouldnt have as much participation here if this was called HeavyCruiserForum. Seems like everybody wants to be a trawler, or at least to associate with trawler folks. Prestige by association ? I looks to me like the natural progression of boat people is toward trawlers, eventually, and assuming they keep boating long enough. Why else are all these fine folks here ?
kulas44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 12:45 PM   #36
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Welcome to The-Heavy-Cruiser-With-Falsely-Rugged-Attributes Forum

(doesn't quite have the same ring to it)
Old 06-30-2015, 12:48 PM   #37
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Where I come from....that includes the Northeast, Southeast, Gulf Coast and Kodiak, AK....plus the dozens of cool boaters that I have met along most miles of the US and Canadian coatline in many marinas...most experienced boaters can easily point out the trawlers that may or may not be present.

It's not rocket science or is 100 percent accurate...but they for the most part get it without this "let's not agree with the last 40+ years of marketing".

Why is it so hard for members of the "Trawler Forums"?

Can I spell ***? Better not to get kicked off otherwise people would only hear one small variation of reality.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:37 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Low powered is more common to trawlers than weight. You have 25 to 50' trawlers of vastly different weights but most are low powered.
I guess I'm disqualified...8500 lbs, 200 hp.
Yes it will plane if pushed..

Cape Dory originally referred to it as a "power Cruiser"...

(but it does have those beautiful DownEast lines...:-)

Old 06-30-2015, 01:54 PM   #39
Guru

If women knew how successful simply naming a boat trawler has become they would call themselves models on dating websites
Old 06-30-2015, 01:58 PM   #40
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunn View Post
Totally different boats used for the same purpose.

As a writer by profession I guess I put more stock in the value of definition than most people who are willing to go along with whatever blanket the marketing department pulls over their eyes. A trawler is NOT a physical description of a boat. It is an OCCUPATION of a boat. As long as a boat is using trawl gear, it's a trawler. It can be a planing lobsterboat, a displacement South Carolina shrimp boat, a pontoon boat, or the USS Missouri, it doesn't matter. If its using trawl gear to fish with, it's a trawler.

Recreational boats tend not to use trawl gear for fishing. It's big, it's heavy, it requires a lot hydraulic power, and it gets in the way of happy hour. So by definition, they are not trawlers. Applying the term "trawler" to a recreational boat is a totally bogus branding idea hatched up by marketing guys in, I'm guessing, the 1970s to try to generate a rugged, tough image for their cabin cruisers. Obviously, everybody fell for it so we have the plethora of toy "trawlers" that we have today.

There is no such thing as a "recreational trawler" unless someone is using trawl gear on some sort of boat to fish just for fun.

I am well aware the term is here to stay and I'm smart enough to know that most people are passive enough not to change. I just think the people who use it are ignorant, at least of the English language, as they've fallen for the marketing scam which most likely has the folks who dreamed it up (if they're even still alive) laughing all the way to the bank.

A good car analogy is the Hummer which is nothing more than a Chevy Tahoe with a body styled after the military vehicle. It's all about image, which, for the most part, is simply empty fluff. When I meet people with a Bayliner or a Grand Banks or a Krogen or whatever and they say they have a "trawler," I call them on it (after laughing). Doesn't make me popular but it does make me right. Even American Marine had the common sense not to call their new Grand Banks line of boats fishing boats. For many years their slogan was "Dependable Diesel Cruisers."

The same thing applies to trollers. Trolling is also a definition of a fishing technique, not a definition of a boat style or configuration. In fact...... we have in Bellingham what appears to be a very nice Grand Banks 42 that has been modified for commercial trolling. It has outriggers, gurdies, a fish well in a stern extension of some sort, a commercial license number on the side, and it moors in the commercial basin along with the big Alaska limit seiners, gillnetters, and crab boats. So in this case, that GB42 is, in fact, a genuine, legitimate troller and that's what I call it when I refer to it.

BTW, I wasn't kidding about the kayaker and his "paddle trawler."

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote