Old 03-05-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I see there's a deal finally brewing on this Seattle boat.

The subject of varied threads on other forums, I see this stylized steel 50 footer has a deal "pending". *Advertised as "aircraft styled space utilization", I thought that maybe Marin was working on it. *Supposedly, the hull is from a Bruce Roberts idea. *If anyone can combine a trawler with aircraft space utilization, they're probably in Seattle. *

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001.../United-States
Attached Images

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Cowichan Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Gray Hawk
Vessel Model: Defever 43 Offshore Cruiser
RE: I see there's a deal finally brewing on this Seattle boat.

We were aware it was on the market and I was tempted to go look at it just for the novelty but its so butt ugly I didn't think it was fair to waste the broker's time because there's no way I'd have ever even remotely considered making an offer.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ

Please whatever you take away from looking at this vessel and its pictures...DO NOT mount casement windows upside down just to put the handles at the top. As a sales engineer for a window manufacturer, I cringed when I saw that. Almost all frames are designed to drain "down and out" should any water infiltrate past the operating sashes. But not in this case! Want to talk about potential leak problems. I know you guys with older boats say your windows sometimes leak but I imagine that these would right out of the box!

JMO
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger

Is it common practice to put the ac/dc panel so far from the power sources? I was toying with the idea of putting the power panel right above the gensets and house battery bank, thus keeping my large wire runs to a minimum. Besides the normal affliction of that vessel the straw that broke my back was the 5/8" supply line for the toilet running from the vanity to the toilet.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34

I'd sure hate to try to dock that thing in an offshore breeze. Even with a remote control for the engines, line handling without at least 3 aboard looks practically impossible, and where do you cleat/handle a midships springline?
ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I see there's a deal finally brewing on this Seattle boat.

Quote:
healhustler wrote:
The subject of varied threads on other forums, I see this stylized steel 50 footer has a deal "pending". *Advertised as "aircraft styled space utilization", I thought that maybe Marin was working on it. *Supposedly, the hull is from a Bruce Roberts idea. *If anyone can combine a trawler with aircraft space utilization, they're probably in Seattle. *

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2001.../United-States

In Seattle there are house boats that do not move, house barges that can leave the dock, boats/vessels meant to leave the dock and anything in between.* **I went to look at it and it would make a great live a board on the protect Water of Lake Union/Washington and maybe the sound.* It looks to me instead of using a barge, they used a boat shape hull to be able to pass as a boat/vessel to be able to find moorage.

So until you know what the intended use is for, so*dont knock it as it might be exactly what the person is looking for.* Shoot we bought our ugly old trawler to be a dock condo with little interest in leaving the dock as it is a great live aboard and we good a great deal on it.

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Tuesday 6th of March 2012 10:18:06 AM
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: -

The last time I am aware of an attempt to mix aircraft and marine design in Seattle, the end result was this. Granted, the hull and propulsion system was from a burned-out San Francisco ferry that was towed up here, but the superstructure was designed here by a moonlighting Boeing engineer and was built here.

While the Kalakala was actually a pretty good looking vessel in the Art Deco era, it's not a shining example of marine design in my opinion.

The "thing" picutured above is a far, far cry from the aesthetics of the Kalakala, but it does demonstrate how far astray it's possible to go when trying to combine two design worlds that are fundamentally incompatible.
Attached Thumbnails
kalakala.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM   #8
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Quote:
If you want to make a boat that has the attributes of an airplane why not just start with an airplane?

Attached Thumbnails
02at-port-everglades-01.jpg  
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

The city of Seattle and the state of Washington have very strict regulations of what is classified as a boat and what can be moored in a marina for navigitable* vessels.*

The*Kalakala was a Washington state ferry.* then it was towed up to Alaska and was a cannery when the fishing dead, it was towed back down to Seattle and moored*at the sound end of Lake Union for years to be a restaurant/night spot but ran into a lot of red tape.* the city of Seattle finally said it had to be towed off Lake Union so it was towed to Nae Bay, The Twilight area, Vampires and Werwolf's, and from there*down to California.* *
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:09 AM   #10
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'

Is that a screen door on the "pilothouse"?
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6

Flying boat:

markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #12
Scraping Paint

City: -

But it's a crappy boat. It's just a plane that can land on water. It was years and years of flying the Beaver up and down the Inside Passage to and from SE Alaska that convinced my wife an I to get a larger boat so we could one day explore the Passage by water. All those years of looking down on beautiful bays and coves and not being able to visit them in the plane is what did it.

Besides being too small, the only time you can stop worrying about a seaplane is when it's out of the water and tied down. Otherwise it's very, very vulnerable to damage, even the big ones. Even with the plane backed up onto shore, if the wind comes up even just a bit during the night one of us is getting up every hour or so and go down and check the plane to make sure the floats aren't hitting the bottom as waves move the plane up and down, that all the lines are secure, and so on. A seaplane in the bush, or anywhere in the water, is not something you can walk away from and forget about for awhile like you can with a boat tied to a dock or on a mooring.

The photo is of one of our favorite places to camp in the BC coast range. We even spent our honeymoon here. The nearest settlement is over 100 miles away, and the plane is the only way in or out. No radio contact, nothing. This little cove is pretty protected from the main lake, but we check on the plane frequently throughout each day and night. Big bears here, too.
Attached Thumbnails
p1050542.jpg  
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote