I read this article and thought of HOpkins Carter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom. If you didn’t support the local store don’t complain when they go out of business.

Actually, that's not the reason the owner has chosen to close up shop.

That said, I'm a bit conflicted. I do try to support local businesses to the extent possible. But my resources are limited, and I owe it to myself and my family to maximize my return from them. Is it my obligation to keep anyone else employed?

Where I worked, there were several rounds of layoffs over the years. Nobody except immediate friends and family shed a tear for any of my co-workers who got cut. Had it been me, nobody would have posted in a forum about how awful it was that my job was being eliminated. And certainly nobody would have been asking people to pay more for my company's products and services, just to keep me employed.

If Defender, or Amazon, or the commercial fishermen's store a few miles away can get me the products and services I need for less, should I avoid them?

Every new technology throughout history has eliminated jobs. Where do we draw the line? Do we go back to a pre-industrial civilization?

All your points are very good and your questions good. I think the key is we can't have it both ways. We can't patronize others and then mourn when the small local chandler we ignored disappears. He can't remain open just to be a nice guy.

As to the layoffs where you worked, I think management failed to do their job often and I shed a tear each time. Sears isn't a victim of the internet or Amazon or anyone else, just a victim of their own mismanagement. Leveraged buyouts have given so many businesses a level of debt they could never handle. Look at some venture capitalist who buy, strip, shred, liquidate over and over as opposed to someone like Berkshire Hathaway that buys and strengthens and builds. Other times though management has no choice, as conditions dictate.

I see slogans like "Buy American" and I've yet to see any apparel, any soft goods, any consumer product where the American Consumer is willing to pay $1 more because it's "American". We manufacture apparel in Florida, SC, and NC and contract manufacturing in NY, but we don't get $1 more by manufacturing in the US. Stores say how nice it is to be made in America but compare prices just the same. We could make it offshore and increase margins. We couldn't match our turnaround or flexibility.

We, the consumer, haven't kept businesses alive and won't. If, as a country or people we want to salvage certain types of businesses, then only by regulation and incentives will we do so. The problem is though that once the business leaves or the skill is lost, there's no returning. We had to buy a bunch of small facilities as no large ones were left to manufacture apparel here. You can't now save mom and pop stores suddenly, certainly not the ones already gone. We, the consumer, made the decision to make Walmart and Kmart big at the expense of mom and pop. Now we've threatened their success by turning to Amazon, but Walmart responded.

I do think it's awful your job was eliminated. Hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs eliminated. 1979 there were over 19.5 million manufacturing jobs in the US. Today, fewer than 13 million. It is 100% due to cheaper labor elsewhere. As consumers we buy cheaper. CEO's of manufacturers buy cheaper. I first encountered it as a businessman in the 1990's and 2000's. I had to eliminate some US jobs to save the others. I didn't have a choice as no customer was going to pay for US. It was heartbreaking. Had we given tax incentives in 1980 for US manufacturing, perhaps we might have saved it. Yes, they do work. We manufactured for decades in Puerto Rico because the tax incentives more than offset the added freight costs.

So, really no one to blame, sad to see, and we'll miss the small business, but we're the ones who did it in looking after ourselves.

One interesting phenomena I've observed as manufacturers chase cheap labor around the world. The places most popular see a rise in their labor rates and then they're hurt by someone now cheaper than them. I know manufacturers in Colombia who then found themselves undercut by Honduras and El Salvador. China undercut by Vietnam. That's the saddest part of all to me that the success of our businesses depends on how little we can pay the people who make our products.

That said, I'm a bit conflicted. I do try to support local businesses to the extent possible. But my resources are limited, and I owe it to myself and my family to maximize my return from them. Is it my obligation to keep anyone else employed?

If Defender, or Amazon, or the commercial fishermen's store a few miles away can get me the products and services I need for less, should I avoid them?

Every new technology throughout history has eliminated jobs. Where do we draw the line? Do we go back to a pre-industrial civilization?

Great points Tom.

My primary reason that I prefer to buy local is purely self interest. I’m a business person who provides goods and services to the communities where I’m located. My financial health depends on local folks being employed with decent jobs. Many, if not most, of the jobs in these communities are provided by other local businesses. If those businesses continue to survive and thrive, then I do better financially as well.

Another reason is my own convenience. If I have a local chandlery that provides what I need, when I need it, that has value to me. Since I still work, the time available for me to work on the boat is limited. If I find I need a part that I don’t have, if I can’t find it locally then I can’t finish what I started. Sure I might be able to order it from Amazon on Saturday and have it arrive on Monday, that doesn’t help me finish my project.

So does that mean that I’m willing to pay 5 times locally for something I can order from Fisheries on a big ticket item? No. Somewhere between between ordering online to save a couple bucks vs spending thousands more locally is where I typically will be.

I don’t know what I’m willing to pay for great service, items in stock and advise. I know I usually tip 15-25% in restaurants so I guess it should be in that range.

And here in the PNW we have Fisheries Supply. In business since 1928. Three generations of the Sutter family...….

Parks I remember the store on 2nd Avenue, commercial fishing supply was just across the bridge with Dude and Harry. Memories

All your points are very good and your questions good. I think the key is we can't have it both ways. We can't patronize others and then mourn when the small local chandler we ignored disappears. He can't remain open just to be a nice guy....
I see slogans like "Buy American" and I've yet to see any apparel, any soft goods, any consumer product where the American Consumer is willing to pay $1 more because it's "American". We manufacture apparel in Florida, SC, and NC and contract manufacturing in NY, but we don't get $1 more by manufacturing in the US. Stores say how nice it is to be made in America but compare prices just the same. We could make it offshore and increase margins. We couldn't match our turnaround or flexibility.

We, the consumer, haven't kept businesses alive and won't. If, as a country or people we want to salvage certain types of businesses, then only by regulation and incentives will we do so. The problem is though that once the business leaves or the skill is lost, there's no returning. We had to buy a bunch of small facilities as no large ones were left to manufacture apparel here. You can't now save mom and pop stores suddenly, certainly not the ones already gone. We, the consumer, made the decision to make Walmart and Kmart big at the expense of mom and pop. Now we've threatened their success by turning to Amazon, but Walmart responded.
Maybe tariffs will work. If the price of imported goods is increased via tariffs,local manufacture at higher cost becomes feasible and competitive. The consumer pays more, for either the tariff bearing imports or the higher cost local manufacture, but you can revive local manufacture. Problem is, the country of export origin may put retaliatory tariffs on your goods they import. Then you get a snowballing trade war, and what looks like an approaching world recession.

Maybe tariffs will work. If the price of imported goods is increased via tariffs,local manufacture at higher cost becomes feasible and competitive. The consumer pays more, for either the tariff bearing imports or the higher cost local manufacture, but you can revive local manufacture. Problem is, the country of export origin may put retaliatory tariffs on your goods they import. Then you get a snowballing trade war, and what looks like an approaching world recession.

Actually you can't revive local manufacturing. The workers long ago moved on. The factories have deteriorated terribly. The managers found other jobs.

We're trying right now to expand and I might remind that all the equipment we need to do so is coming from China and subject to tariffs.

It's like trying to revive a farm after you build a residential development on the property.

In the Ft Lauderdale area of FL, we almost lost a great wholesale supply house (Lewis) that catered to professionals.
Folks stopped going there because almost suddenly, they stopped refreshing their stock in preparations to finding a buyer. Thankfully, a buyer stepped up.... the stock is being refreshed but, I doubt if the old customer base will return, in full, in the near future. It takes time to build a reliable customer base. I try to support my local WM.... If I need a part, I check there first because usually, I need the part NOW, not next week.
I am fortunate because they also welcome me at the local wholesale supply houses. (brag brag brag)

Old Dan

Lewis Marine was one of my great wholesalers, their inventory was fantastic and delivered twice a day to the boat company in Miami. They went through a bad time but I have been told the new owners are putting stock back in. I wish them luck.

Old Dan

Lewis Marine was one of my great wholesalers, their inventory was fantastic and delivered twice a day to the boat company in Miami. They went through a bad time but I have been told the new owners are putting stock back in. I wish them luck.

I drove by the store today (didn't need any parts).... They did repaint the exterior to tan. If they change the name, I think it would not make it. It shall always be known as Lewis.

Their catalog was my Bible.

We and other yacht managers and captains were all saddened by the decline of Lewis and I think if the new owners truly return it to the way it was, they'll have a strong business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom