Old 08-20-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
I read this article and thought of HOpkins Carter

This is the article I read : https://www.passagemaker.com/technic..._hsmi=75840748

Wow, I thought, this sounds like HOpkins Carter and Parks and family. Good service can never be replaced.

Thanks Parks.
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:34 AM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Thanks Fish!
Old 08-20-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Guru

I and many others miss your leadership. Enjoy retirement. Hopefully will get you up to Ft. Pierce.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Sorry I never made it to Hopkins Carter.

I did frequent Fawcett when I lived aboard in Annapolis and stationed in DC. Made lemonade out of that assignment...

They used to hold really good weekly seminars at night and I would walk over, then head out for a beer afterward. Usually were great evenings.... especially when the weather cooperated.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:22 AM   #5
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It does and wish we had more of such places. However, too many of us and too often we are not willing to pay for quality and service. I read the complaints about West Marine's prices and people going to Amazon and Ebay. Fortunately, so far there has been enough demand and customers for a few businesses like these to remain.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 AM   #6
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Oh I looked at the picture of the store and "sugar plum fairies" danced through my head.

Here is this guys resume, make sure to post your guys resume:

"David Pascoe is a second generation marine surveyor in his family who began his surveying career at age 16 as an apprentice in 1965 as the era of wooden boats was drawing to a close.

Certified by the National Association of Marine Surveyors in 1972, he has conducted over 5,000 pre purchase surveys in addition to having conducted hundreds of boating accident investigations, including fires, sinkings, hull failures and machinery failure analysis.

Over forty years of knowledge and experience are brought to bear in following books. David Pascoe is the author of:

"Mid Size Power Boats" (2003)
"Buyers’ Guide to Outboard Boats" (2002)
"Surveying Fiberglass Power Boats" (2001, 2nd Edition - 2005)
"Marine Investigations" (2004).

In addition to readers in the United States, boaters and boat industry professionals worldwide from nearly 80 countries have purchased David Pascoe's books, since introduction of his first book in 2001."
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:40 PM   #7
Guru

My dad use to drag me the HOpkins Carter In the 50s, Parks wasn’t even born yet. The guys there all greeted him by name and some learned my name. A guy worked there by the name of Senate Duttinhoffer (not sure of the spelling or how I can remember that) but he usually took care of my dad (both were pipe smokers. Everyone was friendly and if they didn’t have the product would call to find it for us. I think they moved three times to their present location a few blocks from there past location. When Parks was in his ultralight phase a company I was with would build him fiberglass pontoons.

Times have changed, sadly.

Scott, somehow I knew your story would have beer in it.
Old 08-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsfish View Post
My dad use to drag me the HOpkins Carter In the 50s, Parks wasn’t even born yet. The guys there all greeted him by name and some learned my name. A guy worked there by the name of Senate Duttinhoffer (not sure of the spelling or how I can remember that) but he usually took care of my dad (both were pipe smokers. Everyone was friendly and if they didn’t have the product would call to find it for us. I think they moved three times to their present location a few blocks from there past location. When Parks was in his ultralight phase a company I was with would build him fiberglass pontoons.

Times have changed, sadly.

Scott, somehow I knew your story would have beer in it.
I didn’t know Sennet Duttenhoffer had worked for Hopkins-Carter!

He was a pretty famous racing sailor. In the seventies and eighties he owned a company called R.B. Grove. They sold marine generators and parts. It’s still in business.

When Sennet retired in the nineties, he sailed around the world.

Lightning Floats?
Old 08-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #9
Guru

RB Grove was one of the large suppliers to the Yachting world. Glad to hear they are still opening I don’t get down to the area anymore. Eddie Adams closed shop, he probably taught more generator guys in Dade county.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products
Love these old stories.
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:20 AM   #11
Guru

Fond memories, it was different then. A man word was his bond and people had respect for others.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Fond memories, it was different then. A man word was his bond and people had respect for others.
That's just as true today with many people and it was just as untrue back then with many. If you weren't aware of dishonest people when you were younger, it's that you were fortunate, not that they didn't exist.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:45 PM   #13
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I was able to buy a new Rocna anchor from Parks before he retired. He actually delivered it to me and then bought me some beers IIRC! How about THAT for service.

What are you doing in retirement Parks? Ever think about starting another business? I retired not too long ago from the car biz, and sometimes if I’m bored I catch myself thinking about starting something up again, but I usually come to my senses pretty quickly. [emoji30]
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
Guru

BandB

We disagree. In the 60s and 70s I could buy property on a handshake and a check, last deal I did in 2000s I needed a team of lawyers and the contract was over 100pages and there were still problems. I guess I was just lucky in my business dealings all those years or maybe I could sense who was going to be a problem and avoided them.

The last boat (current boat) I had to have the funds wired from my bank although I bought a boat from them before. The salesperson and company apologized for the inconvenience because they couldn’t take my check. Why, because their are so many dishonest people today.

Yeah, I guess I was just lucky..
Old 08-21-2019, 04:12 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude01 View Post
I was able to buy a new Rocna anchor from Parks before he retired. He actually delivered it to me and then bought me some beers IIRC! How about THAT for service.

What are you doing in retirement Parks? Ever think about starting another business? I retired not too long ago from the car biz, and sometimes if I’m bored I catch myself thinking about starting something up again, but I usually come to my senses pretty quickly. [emoji30]
I went into a little marine store in a PUNTA GORDA yesterday. I had to talk shop.
I go into my local Ace Hardware and find myself educating the young kids working there. They are very nice and put up with me.

Yes I miss it. I’ve taken up bee keeping to keep me busy. That’s a lot more work than I thought it would 🐝.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:15 PM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Irv....I understand both your recollection of old times and also BandBs that good and bad has a long history.....and probably hasn't varied all that much....

Simpler times gave a different feeling ...maybe not a reality...but we felt that way.

Good old times? Yes and no. Things are better and things are worse.. .just depends ...

I was hoping old age would bring clarity . But in reality, gray is becoming my understanding of most things. Can't say it's the march of time or the gradual experiences of becoming older.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #17
Guru

Scott. Getting older? Who? Certainly not you or me.

Parks are you still without a cruising boat?
Old 08-21-2019, 09:17 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Scott. Getting older? Who? Certainly not you or me.

Parks are you still without a cruising boat?
Yup, still got several small boats that I don’t use enough. Wife has health issues that would prevent her from spending much time on a boat.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #19
Guru

Sorry to hear that. It suck to have bad health.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:24 AM   #20
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Tomorrow is the last day for a 100-year-old chandler in our area. It's less than five minutes from our marina. They have everything for boats, recreational and commercial. Every boat owner within a 20-mile radius shops there when ordering on-line isn't an option.

We're all waiting to see if a buyer steps up, but as of today, they're clearing out merchandise. I have no clue what we're going to do if it closes for good.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote